IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID going out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 06:25 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID going out?

Tonight two separate times my right HID went out. I turned my lights off then on and it stayed on. Does this mean my HID is on its way out? Car is an 07 with 57k
Old 02-16-13, 06:27 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Default HID going out?

Tonight two separate times my right HID went out. I turned my lights off then on and it stayed on. Does this mean my HID is on its way out? Car is an 07 with 57k
Old 02-16-13, 06:41 PM
GFM IS350
Rookie

When my bulb went out, it'd flicker on for a second and turn off. Swapped it with a new bulb and it was good. Maybe it's your ballast or something?
Old 02-16-13, 06:42 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

could be relay problem, I've experienced hids turn on randomly when the car was parked and off over night. turns out there was water in the relay causing a short.
Old 02-16-13, 06:45 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFM IS350
When my bulb went out, it'd flicker on for a second and turn off. Swapped it with a new bulb and it was good. Maybe it's your ballast or something?
well I cant tell if it flickers because im driving. But I suppose I can swap bulbs with the other side and see what happens. Did you replace just the 1 bulb or both? Im reading you should do both or the color may be slightly off
Old 02-16-13, 06:46 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

No need to post in both is and gs forums...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...going-out.html

As a matter of fact u should just post it in the lighting section!
Old 02-16-13, 06:48 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Wait how can I tell if its halogen or HID?
Old 02-16-13, 06:53 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
No need to post in both is and gs forums...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...going-out.html

As a matter of fact u should just post it in the lighting section!
Yeah I posted there first by mistake. I have an IS
Old 02-16-13, 07:07 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds like a bulb going out. It's an easy enough replacement. When my left HID bulb was on its way out, it would randomly turn off after a few minutes of driving with the headlights on. It happened once, and didn't happen for over a week, then started doing it every couple of days. Each time, turning the lights off and back on would restore it. I bought a pair of Harrison/Toshiba bulbs on eBay for $110. Worked a treat! I'm looking to go to 6000K HID bulbs soon though.
Old 02-16-13, 07:13 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biiishplz
Definitely sounds like a bulb going out. It's an easy enough replacement. When my left HID bulb was on its way out, it would randomly turn off after a few minutes of driving with the headlights on. It happened once, and didn't happen for over a week, then started doing it every couple of days. Each time, turning the lights off and back on would restore it. I bought a pair of Harrison/Toshiba bulbs on eBay for $110. Worked a treat! I'm looking to go to 6000K HID bulbs soon though.
So wheres everyone getting replacement OEM blubs from? Im not paying $175 for an OEM pair
Old 02-16-13, 08:04 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger bulb was randomly turning off but would come back one if I turned the lights off and back on. This went on for about a year and then finally started going off and just 2 weeks ago the bulb died. I swapped the bulbs on each side to make sure it wasn't the ballast. I just ordered 5000k D4S bulbs from XenonDepot. Hopefully they will be as good as everyone says they are. There's a $20 off code for each bulb if you buy through them so its about $100 for a set.
Old 02-16-13, 09:55 PM
GFM IS350
Rookie

When I'd turn my lights on, one would turn off after 2 seconds. That's how I knew it was dead. I pulled it out and it was out. I bought a used pair thinking there'd be a color difference but there wasn't. So I have an extra one.
Old 02-16-13, 11:32 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had this same issue for a couple months now. The right HID but my left has done it before too but not as often as the right. I have new bulbs so ill see if it fixes the issue as well
Old 02-17-13, 09:47 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

having your same problem at about the same time. 08 is250 with 52k miles. my left was going out, so i swapped bulbs left and right and sure enough the right started going out. that leads me to believe it was the bulb. after reading multiple reviews and opinions here on CL i went with xenon depot for bulbs. I thought about just getting a single new phillips bulb for like $70 shipped but i was worried about color differences in a brand new bulb from one with 50k miles on it already. i used the CL discount which took $40 off a pair of the xenon depot's bulbs they sell rather than phillips. i decided to go with the 6500k pair for $99 shipped for both bulbs. they shipped next day and now are 2 business days away from arrival to me.

my only concern is the color temperature... i think 6500k is as blue in color as I would be willing to go. 4300k looks good but is obviously like every other OEM hid out there. i thought maybe the 6500k would provide just a tad more hint of blue to stand out from every other vehicle with factory HIDs. we shall see...
Old 02-17-13, 11:51 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
The Xenon Depot 6500K has a slight tinge of blue but it looks white for the majority of it.

You could get the Philips Ultinon 6000K (which both Xenon Depot and Nigel-JDMParts sell) which you would pay more however it has the best lumen's output for the color in comparison to other brands.

I have pictures and video. It maybe a bit hard to tell. My Philips Ultinon 6000K is the headlights and the Xenon Depot 6500K is the fogs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...og-2011-a.html

Quick Reply: HID going out?