IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pricing Items accordingly

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 12:08 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Items accordingly

I have seen as of late alot of people selling items asking a few dollars less if not the same price + pp fees on items they purchased. I can understand an equal value on items that where never installed and or are used for a few miles. But not saying names cause im in no means trying to start anything. But I just seen a Joe Z system being sold used at $125. + pp fees. To me there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to recoup some of the money we put into our cars to start new projects or simply for other reasons but to charge the same seems like the wrong way to go about selling things......Can anyone agree or disagree. or give some sort of input on the subject. I myself have sold items from prior interest buy do consider time used as well are current value of items.

Last edited by Jump2man3; 03-11-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 01:36 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Supply and demand and caveat emptor. If the seller priced it the same as MSRP, and some poor sap didn't take a few minutes to check what the current retail price is, then it's really the buyer's fault. You can't fault the sellers for trying to test what the market (no matter how small) can bear.

I've always tried to price it accordingly as per market prices by taking a few minutes to do proper research. Of course, I also try to sell items within a few weeks of listing.
Old 03-11-13, 01:44 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Yea in no way am I faulting the seller. As someone buying an item should research it a bit more before making a purchase but I guess some people dont think before buying and or selling lol. And if you get someone that pays MSRP for an item eh it is what it is.
Old 03-11-13, 01:46 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ agreed. I understand your point OP and sometimes I get a little annoyed of the prices that are listed as well, but its because I know what the pricing should be for most items on our cars that I don't jump the gun. And there is a high volume demand for 2IS parts right now. Despite the few part outs, the amount of builds here on ClubLexus is crazy. So there is a demand. But I agree, once a part is used, the value should drop. Just like when you drove your ISx50 off the lot from the dealership. The minute you signed the paper work, your resale value drops drastically. But the parts market is much different because they usually are in a unique market field.

Anyways, I do find some reselling parts that are higher than what I think is normal and it is because we naturally just want to get the money we put in back. That's not how it works but because they are our parts, we all have the right to demand the price we want for them. There is no way around that other than too wait patiently for the right price or buy your parts new
Old 03-11-13, 01:57 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. I value items based on "life/msrp" vs. "used/condition." A used item in "like new" condition would value at 80% of the origional value in my book... I've sold stuff priced FIRM and fast because of this idea...

You're all right with respect to an educated buyer and supply and demand, but at what point is it at all okay to sell OEM rims for 300 USD when thats the cost of half of one wheel. I know its all demand - like Volk rims going for $2,000 when you paid $3,000 in '99 - there's a sense of depreciation but not when it comes to availability. Some people just work like the rug dealers, its special and is reflected in the value it "holds." If you dont like it, go somewhere else... whatever.

I know nothing will change because of this topic or us ranting about it, but OP - it's like you said "it is what it is."
Old 03-11-13, 02:03 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I mean reality is power to you if you get what you ask. I only meant to bring up the fact that sometimes things are outright nutty. I bought a new exhaust system for my street bike 1k plus 4 months later and maybe 400 miles the bikes was totaled I sold the exhaust for 400. Based on what I had felt the value was and seeing what others had sold the item used for. It was in mint condition but asking 700 I didn't think was a fair price as much as I wish someone would made that offer lol.
Old 03-11-13, 04:32 PM
Fjaw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

nothing to worry about. If the price is too high the seller will drop it when no one makes an offer. How many times have you seen people selling stock rims and say $400 each since sewell has it for $500 each to justify how good the deal it is. Then a month later it drops to $500 for all 4 times.
Old 03-11-13, 05:54 PM
561Lexus
Driver

JUMP2MAN you know you would do the same if you could.
Old 03-11-13, 06:23 PM
lexuscrit
Driver School Candidate

I agree, market dictates and the responses or lack thereof to the post should give good indication to the seller about his pricing.
Old 03-11-13, 07:12 PM
wvpptzff
Driver School Candidate

Yea in no way am I faulting the seller.
Old 03-11-13, 08:05 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of CL sellers who rips off for sure lol but there are also some that actually hook up
Old 03-11-13, 08:24 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I didnt see how this thread was related to anything in the 2IS forum til I realized u made this thread to call out another member in the 2IS classfieds section. You already called him out on his thread, no need to make your own thread about the issue.
He probably didn't do his research of what the price range of it is nowadays. Plus when we all sell something we paid alot of money for of course we want to get back as much as possible.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-kit-joez.html

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
You got some great items here man only suggestion would be on your joez intake. Knowing all people spend money and when selling we like to get back something for the items you should note the current market vallue of items. I.e the joe z intake new off any site that carries those products are 125.....
Old 03-11-13, 08:31 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't like the price just don't buy it..... Or wait til he lowers it.

Flip the script. If the seller sells it for incredibly low, are you going to be like, "I'm ripping you off dude, I'm going to give you what you actually deserve." Probably not.
Old 03-11-13, 10:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

lol I'm going to agree with the OP. It's annoying when people try and sell their USED parts for 80-90% of the new price. That's crazy, I might as well buy it new!
Old 03-11-13, 10:27 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Like the saying goes " If you don't like my price move on". It no difference from the lower baller who want to buy your thing at 50% off. If he charged more than what he paid that a different story. I knew a member here that tried to sell a $700 rim for $5,500 now that was a joke.

Quick Reply: Pricing Items accordingly