IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation speed doesn't match car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 06:47 PM
miamidaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation speed doesn't match car

The icon for the car on the nav screen isn't moving with car, for example for every mile the car goes the icon will only have moved a half mile. it started when I disconnected battery the icon would pop up on the other side of time but tracked correct. Then later I pulled the radio fuse and put back in and thats when it started not track at the same speed. I thought it was an update issue but I updated today and still same problem. I don't know what to do.
Old 03-19-13, 07:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you in the correct region? Are you too zoomed out? iirc if you hunt through the menu's there is a "calibration" - note might be for 2010+ systems though
Old 03-19-13, 08:11 PM
miamidaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i re-calibrated but that only puts the icon where i'm at on the map, the icon itself moves slower than it should ex: i drive 1 mile, the icon only moves the equivalent of half a mile on the map.
Old 03-20-13, 11:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But--are you showing a GPS signal? shouldn't the system provide dead reckoning based on the car's physical movement only if there's a loss of the GPS signal--like when you are going thru a tunnel?
Old 03-20-13, 12:05 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Are you in the correct region? Are you too zoomed out?
This was my initial thought.

Originally Posted by miamidaze
i re-calibrated but that only puts the icon where i'm at on the map, the icon itself moves slower than it should ex: i drive 1 mile, the icon only moves the equivalent of half a mile on the map.
By that logic you and the car would be miles a head of your unit if you continued strait. And also, if you made a right after an hour your GPS wouldnt know youve turned. It just sounds like a delay in the display. I am not in a position to check mine anytime soon, but check the menu for a "delay" option. This helps when you want to know if a turn is coming up WWWAAAYYY before you have to make it. It places the display location of your vehicle ahead of you physical vehicle.

If not - follow Hoovey2411's advice.
Old 03-20-13, 02:03 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might be possible that the speed sensor is not matching with the speedometer. I believe the navigation reads off the speed sensor, and if it does not match the speedometer, it may cause the delay. You can pull up the diagnosis screen by this method:

DTC CHECK / CLEAR
HINT:

•Illustrations may differ from the actual vehicle depending on the device settings and options. Therefore, some detailed areas may not be shown exactly the same as on the actual vehicle.
•If the system cannot enter the diagnostic mode, inspect all AVC-LAN communication components and repair or replace problem parts.

•After the engine switch is turned on (IG), check that the map is displayed before starting the diagnostic mode. Otherwise, some items cannot be checked.

1. START DIAGNOSTIC MODE

(a) There are 2 methods to start diagnostic mode. Start the mode by using one of them.

(b) Method 1

(1) Start the engine.

(2) While pressing and holding the "INFO" switch, operate the light control switch: OFF → Turn ON → Turn OFF → Turn ON → Turn OFF → Turn ON → Turn OFF.

(3) The diagnostic mode starts and the "System Check Mode" screen will be displayed. Service inspection starts automatically and the result will be displayed.

(c) Method 2

(1) Start the engine.

(2) Switch to the "Display Check" screen.

(3) From the display quality adjustment screen, touch the corners of the screen in the following order: upper left → lower left → upper left → lower left → upper left → lower left.

(4) The diagnostic mode starts and the "System Check Mode" screen will be displayed. Service inspection starts automatically and the result will be displayed.

(a)Select "Menu"

(b) Select "Navigation Check" from the "Diagnosis MENU" screen.

(c) Select "Vehicle Sensors" from the "Navigation Check" screen.

(d) Check all the signals and sensors when vehicle signal information is displayed.
While in this mode, you can drive and compare the speed sensor to the speedometer if it matches close enough. I think the navigation reads what's off the speed sensor. If I remember correctly, you press the "Reset" button to reset the speed sensor, but I'm not sure, I'm not liable if it ends up resetting something else heh. But at least you can get to the point and check for yourself.

Oh, and to exit the diagnostic mode: turn the vehicle off, or press and hold the "DISP" switch for 3 seconds.

Last edited by Individual; 03-20-13 at 06:49 PM.