IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

If you are slammed on coilovers look here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 09:29 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation If you are slammed on coilovers look here.

MODS- if you would please allow this thread to stay in this section atleast a few hours, I NEED to get an answer for BC racing by no later than today and posting in the suspension section might not help RIGHT NOW.

Thank you.

To my fellow slammed owners....BC racing has the 12/10kg spring rates in stock. However before I take the plunge I want to make sure these spring rates are going to be sufficient for our ride height.

The set up

9.5+25 225/35/19
10.5+26 245/35/19
I am slammed to where I am tucking all 4 tires.

Perhaps 14/10kg or 14/12 or 16/12....?

Can any one chime in with their spring rates, and if you had the chance to do it all over again would you do anything different?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

Last edited by Vroomin350; 03-21-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 09:38 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will allow this to stay here for a while...muahahaha. Just kidding. Good luck. Try checking with MashinA.
Old 03-21-13, 09:44 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I will allow this to stay here for a while...muahahaha. Just kidding. Good luck. Try checking with MashinA.

thanks Mariano I appreciate it !
Old 03-21-13, 10:11 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No coilover experience on the IS here, so can't give you an exact answer but...

Not sure if this is possible without the coilovers in your hands or some accurate guesstimates, and i'm sure you've seen this before already, but just in case:

http://www.crawlpedia.com/spring_rate_calculator.htm
Old 03-21-13, 10:21 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was tucking in the rear with my 12/10 with max on stiffness in the rear. I don't think I would go any higher given my application.

Even with my 19's with +30 offset I was just fine with the 12/10 spring rate

My .2 cents.
Old 03-21-13, 10:34 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pmanliu
No coilover experience on the IS here, so can't give you an exact answer but...

Not sure if this is possible without the coilovers in your hands or some accurate guesstimates, and i'm sure you've seen this before already, but just in case:

http://www.crawlpedia.com/spring_rate_calculator.htm
Woah, never seen that before but looks like if I had the right measurements it would definitely help out.

Originally Posted by Offspring
Was tucking in the rear with my 12/10 with max on stiffness in the rear. I don't think I would go any higher given my application.

Even with my 19's with +30 offset I was just fine with the 12/10 spring rate

My .2 cents.

Thanks for your input. Someone else just stated to me that 14/12kg will not allow me to go as low as 12/10 due to the springs being stiffer.

I am still hoping to hear from more slammed owners.
Old 03-21-13, 10:36 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Your fenders rolled? Camber arms? All I'm getting at is will fender contact your wheel/tire on dips/potholes? Those offsets I'm guessing yes, unless youve cambered in a bit (i dont recall your recent pics showing any camber )

With that said, I say the stiffer the better for you if youre going to roll super low. 12/10 is soft, thats what megan EZ are, and wasnt good enough for me when i was on coils to roll static at a low height; i would end up banging fender/liner.

There's more experienced people than me though, i gave up on perfecting static life and just bagged it.
Old 03-21-13, 10:56 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
Your fenders rolled? Camber arms? All I'm getting at is will fender contact your wheel/tire on dips/potholes? Those offsets I'm guessing yes, unless youve cambered in a bit (i dont recall your recent pics showing any camber )

With that said, I say the stiffer the better for you if youre going to roll super low. 12/10 is soft, thats what megan EZ are, and wasnt good enough for me when i was on coils to roll static at a low height; i would end up banging fender/liner.

There's more experienced people than me though, i gave up on perfecting static life and just bagged it.

Adam the problem I am having is just that. Fender contacting the wheel lips, especially at the driver rear. I do have camber arms though not installed, I know running more negative camber will fix that problem, however I am trying to avoid having to run more negative camber. I am currently around -2.5

I was hoping with stiffer coils I can still keep my wheels the way they are, my thoughts are if that they are stiffer coils there would be less up/down travel.

Only thing you have a mistake on is the spring rates for the EZ, they are 10/8kg. Maybe 12/10 will be enough for being slammed but I would like to confirm before $pending the $$

Last edited by Vroomin350; 03-21-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 11:16 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Adam the problem I am having is just that. Fender contacting the wheel lips, especially at the driver rear. I do have camber arms though not installed, I know running more negative camber will fix that problem, however I am trying to avoid having to run more negative camber. I am currently around -2.5

I was hoping with stiffer coils I can still keep my wheels the way they are, my thoughts are if that they are stiffer coils there would be less up/down travel.

Only thing you have a mistake on is the spring rates for the EZ, they are 10/8kg. Maybe 12/10 will be enough for being slammed but I would like to confirm before $pending the $$
10/8, no wonder there was a lot of travel over dips haha. Well, if cost isnt much different, just go stiffer if you dont get an answer in time. Good luck man. No taco'ed fenders please.
Old 03-21-13, 11:30 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you maybe able to eliminate a lot of wheel travel with higher spring rates, but you'll need specifically-spec'd shocks to compensate for the high spring rates and preserve what's left of the lexus-like ride quality. even with adjustable shocks on BC coilovers, you'll want to ask for specific dampening range that will work with those spring rates. otherwise, you'll end up with a washboard ride quality.

personally, i would go for the highest spring rates possible for what you're trying to accomplish, as it sounds like you basically need to reduce wheel/suspension travel as much as possible. just remember to ask if the adjustability range of the shocks can handle the spring rates - and vice versa.
Old 03-21-13, 11:32 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
10/8, no wonder there was a lot of travel over dips haha. Well, if cost isnt much different, just go stiffer if you dont get an answer in time. Good luck man. No taco'ed fenders please.

Those taco fenders from hell are what I am trying to avoid haha

Thanks for your input brother.
Old 03-21-13, 11:35 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
you maybe able to eliminate a lot of wheel travel with higher spring rates, but you'll need specifically-spec'd shocks to compensate for the high spring rates and preserve what's left of the lexus-like ride quality. even with adjustable shocks on BC coilovers, you'll want to ask for specific dampening range that will work with those spring rates. otherwise, you'll end up with a washboard ride quality.

personally, i would go for the highest spring rates possible for what you're trying to accomplish, as it sounds like you basically need to reduce wheel/suspension travel as much as possible. just remember to ask if the adjustability range of the shocks can handle the spring rates - and vice versa.

Glad you mentioned this, makes perfect sense. I was wondering what drawbacks there would be to the extra stiff spring rates and something told me the dampening on the shocks would be one of them. I will make sure to ask BC what the appropriate dampening range will be with the setup I end up choosing. Thanks man
Old 03-21-13, 12:56 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Come take a ride in my integra so you can see what 14/12 feels like.
Old 03-21-13, 01:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ problem is, the weight differential and front/rear weight distribution are different between your integra and the 2is. as such, the shocks are valved differently.

therefore, even with the same spring rates, it wouldn't be an accurate representation of how 14/10 feels on the 2is.
Old 03-21-13, 01:23 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Im tucking in the rear with 10k rates its ok with no load. But when there's load it will squat like 1/8 -1/4 of an inch. Thats with dampening at 15 from hard, so I think you'll be ok. But for the front I would do at least 12k if not 14k.

Quick Reply: If you are slammed on coilovers look here.