IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I want an IS and am a little confused...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 11:10 PM
WantsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want an IS and am a little confused...

So I went to the dealership in Fort Worth, TX to look at hopefully my new IS. What I want is an F-Sport (just for looks)...probably maybe black or possibly the silver or gray. I was quoted the MSRP of ~35k and change + $1,800 (some sort of limited edition) or so for $37,800. Problem is it had "saddle" interior which was not good looking at all and dealer told me that is the only interior option for that "limited edition" and if you want a different interior, you have to go full fsport whichis like 42k. Is this true?

Secondly, I want it to look like this:

The one he showed me said it was F-Sport, but had the other classic grille. Do all F-sports come with the grille I like? And I see that you can buy the F-sport grille and stick it in, but will the dealer do this? I don't mess with cars, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the help. I'm a total Noob.

Also, I'm not sure what the deal was, but they didn't really seem to have many Fsports in the inventory. Is this something that you have to wait on or something?
Old 03-22-13, 11:21 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Welcome to CL. The grill you see above is an F-Sport or F-Sport style. The one with the saddle interior is a special edition but it is no F-Sport. All true F-Sports have micro suede seat inserts, F-Sport badges everywhere, steering wheel, special bluish interior and no ventilated seats. Basically these saddle interior IS's are hitting lots as special editions since its the end of the 2IS model. Don't be afraid of car mods, the grill mod is very easy to do and there are plenty DIY on these boards.
Old 03-22-13, 11:22 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Yes all F-Sports come with a grill like that. If the grill was different either it was replaced, which is unlikely, or it is not an F-sport model.

But if you are buying a brand new car why not to wait few months and get a new, third generation 2014 model?
Old 03-22-13, 11:25 PM
WantsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by p0lo8
Yes all F-Sports come with a grill like that. If the grill was different either it was replaced, which is unlikely, or it is not an F-sport model.

But if you are buying a brand new car why not to wait few months and get a new, third generation 2014 model?
Thanks, that's good to know as that was my understanding.

As for the 2014s, I I'm trying to be cheap, but I may get a 14. I'm not committed to anything yet. I'm also looking for "gently used" ones, but am not having much luck.
Old 03-23-13, 12:57 AM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WantsLexus
Thanks, that's good to know as that was my understanding.

As for the 2014s, I I'm trying to be cheap, but I may get a 14. I'm not committed to anything yet. I'm also looking for "gently used" ones, but am not having much luck.
I guess I don't find it surprising that the used ones aren't that great of a deal right now. From what I've sen the consensus is a lot of current IS owners do not like the newer design and are not planning an upgrade.

I completely agree with you on the saddle interior BTW
Old 03-23-13, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Never buy a car off of msrp. You will never know how much you could be saving or how much the dealer is making off of you. Learn the invoice cost, bargain off of that, and THEN apply whatever the current factory rebates are.
At this extremely late stage of the 2IS game, you should be able to get a standard or f-sport IS for well under invoice. However if you want the new limited, going away edition, that could be a little more since it's more rare and exclusive.
You need to decide if you want the 2IS or 3IS before bargaining on prices. Know what you want, know the price, and then a dealer will be ready to give you his best shot.
Good luck!