IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'06 IS 250, Can't make a decision.. NEED SOME HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 06:30 PM
Walkoffsho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 IS 250, Can't make a decision.. NEED SOME HELP!

Hey guys/gals,

I cant make a decision on an '06 Lexus IS 250.

Mileage: 92,000
Navigation
Accident: Rear damage, NO structural damage

The Audi/Porsche dealership got it as a trade-in in December. Records show that they had the recall on the pistons done in January. All other recalls have been completed. They also replaced the water pump while they had the engine open.

They had it initally listed in January for $16,000. I went in during a sale they had going on when it was $15,000. I now have them down to $12,500 !!

They had all the repairs done at one of two lexus dealerships. I contacted the head mechanic who did the work, he remembered the car and said they have done hundreds of these, are excellent at what they do, and have had no issues since. Okay, great.

I took i in to get inspected, and the mechanic there said there is absolutely nothing wrong with this car. Paid $120 for a 31 point inspection. They looked at the rear for structural damage, and nothing. He said he would take it if it were him. Can i trust that?

So what am I missing here? It seems as though this deal is to good to be true? There is only minimal cosmetic damage (scratches) that have been pretty much buffed out by the detail shop there.

Also things to consider.. have there been any other issues with these cars other than recalls? Any problems post-piston/engine fix? More than anything, what do you think about this deal? The rest of the market is showing 16,000+ for this mileage.
Old 03-23-13, 06:33 PM
Walkoffsho
Driver School Candidate

Oh, the inspection was done at the other Lexus dealership. Apparently the salesperson used to work there. Could this be a biased situation?
Old 03-23-13, 07:17 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a pretty cheap price. The carbon build up was the biggest problem with some of te 250's but since the motor was replaced and water pimp done you should be fine. Spark plugs should have been changed at 60K along with brake fluid. If you feel the rear damage isn't major and it has been inspected I think you should be ok. There are some members here with 140K plus and even one at 200K I believe.
Old 03-23-13, 07:20 PM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good deal to me ...I worked at a car dealership for a few years and when they discount the car that much its usually an aged unit that they want to get rid of...Most of the time people will walk when they see a "dirty carfax"..If youre happy with the car and price I would go for it..Talk to youre insurance first however
Old 03-23-13, 08:21 PM
f3nrir125
Driver School Candidate

I say you should take it out for a test drive and see if it drives alright. Check for abnormal noises and any major paint flaws from the repair. If you don't mind getting dirty you should look down under the carriage to check for any structural damages despite them reporting there is none.
Old 03-23-13, 08:32 PM
Walkoffsho
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I drove it alright! It was no doubt smooth. Major paint flaws? well, there was definitely no rust, there is a few scratches on the driver, passenger side and the trunk. However, the detailer was buffing them out as I was there, I even watched him as he showed me how he does it. I did not check the undercarriage, even despite the mechanics appraisal. I should do that anyways however and will keep that in mind if I do plan on getting it.

Other than a slight pull to the right on the highway, the alignment checked out at the shop. I then drove it again and realized I probably was on a slope when i was on the highway, because it didnt pull.
Old 03-23-13, 09:00 PM
350n350
Rookie

I say no, don't buy it. The mileage is freaking high, and it's a 250.
Old 03-23-13, 10:04 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

If it got hit in the rear, open the trunk and lift the trunk carpet and spare tire. Look to see and damage in the wheel well or any repair and paint.
Old 03-24-13, 07:47 AM
Walkoffsho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 350n350
I say no, don't buy it. The mileage is freaking high, and it's a 250.
Okay, what if I told you I am a student in grad school with very limited access to money and my only other option was a car in low 2000's or high 1990's with 140,000+ miles for around $5-6,000. Then what would you say?

I have the 12,500 for this car. I only have that for this car though, because I have been wanting one for so long and its about time I get a decent car, even though its got "freaking high" mileage, which i do not agree with. If i dont get this car, I am not going to settle for another car at 12,500 that I dont like, so I would be forced to get another clunker that might last me a year or 2 until i graduate and get a job.
Old 03-24-13, 07:58 AM
texas02118
Driver

92,000 is not that high for a Lexus! We all know these cars are reliable and if everything checks out then I would get it. 12,500 for a lexus is not bad at all, even if it's just an 06. Good luck!
Old 03-24-13, 08:56 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Walkoffsho
Okay, what if I told you I am a student in grad school with very limited access to money and my only other option was a car in low 2000's or high 1990's with 140,000+ miles for around $5-6,000. Then what would you say?

I have the 12,500 for this car. I only have that for this car though, because I have been wanting one for so long and its about time I get a decent car, even though its got "freaking high" mileage, which i do not agree with. If i dont get this car, I am not going to settle for another car at 12,500 that I dont like, so I would be forced to get another clunker that might last me a year or 2 until i graduate and get a job.
I am a student as well and got an IS350 with 113k on the clock few years back. 130k now and no problems at all apart one of the A/F sensor replacement.

If the car is in good condition and well taken care of I don't see why not??
Old 03-24-13, 09:02 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I'm at 95K on my 350. at 90K its just getting broken in. Its a Lexus/Toyota after all. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me depending on the severity of the damage that had to be repaired.
Old 03-24-13, 09:23 AM
Walkoffsho
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your responses! It's a tough decision for a student with no income, as I am sure you know p0lo.

I took the damage on the carfax very seriously. I made sure the mechanic check the undercarriage and framework of the rear frame. The carfax report states that the driver back up into a parked vehicle in a parking lot. The fact that the mechanic reported no structural damage, the carfax report also says no structural damage, then I assume it was very minor and required maybe a rear bumper replacement. Still, Icould not visualize any alignment issues at the bumper site, and alignment issues while driving. It really only concerns me because of the low profilish tires for these vehicles. I understand the tires wear thin at around 15-20,000 miles which is below average from my understanding. Alignment issues would obviously reduce that number significantly... leaving me wonder, am i going to have to replace these tires every year or so? and if so, can i get middle of the road bridgestones or average tires for less than $120/tire when they need to be replaced. The dealership just put brand new pirelli tires at the tune of ~$900 with no wear at all. I would hesitate alot to drop that much on a new set of wheels when the time comes.
Old 03-24-13, 09:25 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Don't listen to people that are negative. But what you can right now and when you graduate your Lexus will still be running and you'll be able to afford something nicer when you get that job you're shooting for. Good luck!
Old 03-24-13, 10:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Walkoffsho
I appreciate your responses! It's a tough decision for a student with no income, as I am sure you know p0lo.

I took the damage on the carfax very seriously. I made sure the mechanic check the undercarriage and framework of the rear frame. The carfax report states that the driver back up into a parked vehicle in a parking lot. The fact that the mechanic reported no structural damage, the carfax report also says no structural damage, then I assume it was very minor and required maybe a rear bumper replacement. Still, Icould not visualize any alignment issues at the bumper site, and alignment issues while driving. It really only concerns me because of the low profilish tires for these vehicles. I understand the tires wear thin at around 15-20,000 miles which is below average from my understanding. Alignment issues would obviously reduce that number significantly... leaving me wonder, am i going to have to replace these tires every year or so? and if so, can i get middle of the road bridgestones or average tires for less than $120/tire when they need to be replaced. The dealership just put brand new pirelli tires at the tune of ~$900 with no wear at all. I would hesitate alot to drop that much on a new set of wheels when the time comes.
If you are a student with no income, I say don't do it. Save your money--in the current economy, you just never know what is going to happen in the job market. You may need that $$ in a couple of years.

Quick Reply: '06 IS 250, Can't make a decision.. NEED SOME HELP!