IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

autoshop gouged tire**help with what to do**

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 03:18 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default autoshop gouged tire**help with what to do**

so i got my alignment done today and after everything was done, i drive it out of the place and i hear clicking noises from the front driver side fender area, i pull over and the tire is gouged on the top end of the tire, little pieces that are still hanging on are what made the noises hitting the liner. my car is lowered also.
skipping to the point, i know how it probably happened, when the tech backed up on a hill area of the drive way, he turned the wheel and when you back up at an angle one side compresses and if not careful it will rub on the inner fender. Shop denies nothing happened and wont do anything.
the only thing they offered was paying wholesale/discount off a new tire.
keep in mind i just got these tires put on last week, and i told them, my purpose coming was not to set you up to get a new tire for free. in the end, i have talked to the manager, the owner, and they wont do anything. the only people i see above them is the director which is the owners wife and a CEO. When i told the owner i would try to contact more people, he said theres nobody above me and good luck.
Any advice on what to do?
Old 03-27-13, 03:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Even though its their fault its Hard to get them to fess up because after all you are lowered. Lowered does involve rubbing and shredding of tires if not careful. Unfortunately u probably went to a shop that doesn't work on lowered friendly cars or the dudes working there don't have lowered cars

I don't know what else you could do, unless you have some sort of proof. Talk to the CEO say you are a member on lots of forums and a car enthusiasts and if they don't do something about it you'll make sure they get no business from other avid car enthusiasts
Old 03-27-13, 04:00 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Even though its their fault its Hard to get them to fess up because after all you are lowered. Lowered does involve rubbing and shredding of tires if not careful. Unfortunately u probably went to a shop that doesn't work on lowered friendly cars or the dudes working there don't have lowered cars

I don't know what else you could do, unless you have some sort of proof. Talk to the CEO say you are a member on lots of forums and a car enthusiasts and if they don't do something about it you'll make sure they get no business from other avid car enthusiasts
thanks, see the only reason i went there is because the owner has a nsx thats always parked in the shop. so first thing comes to mind is, okay he has a nsx which is lower then most cars from factory, i can at least initially trust them since its a really nice car and he owns the place, also if it was too low, they wouldnt have worked on it in the first place. its not that low, since it fit on the alignment rack.
i also pointed out to them, tire gouging on fender creates a noise you normally wouldnt hear, so wouldnt you have stopped the car at first sign of grinding noise.
Old 03-27-13, 04:04 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

so the shop gouged your tire.. they offered to replace it but you dont want them to.. what do you want from them then?
Old 03-27-13, 04:11 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
thanks, see the only reason i went there is because the owner has a nsx thats always parked in the shop. so first thing comes to mind is, okay he has a nsx which is lower then most cars from factory, i can at least initially trust them since its a really nice car and he owns the place, also if it was too low, they wouldnt have worked on it in the first place. its not that low, since it fit on the alignment rack.
i also pointed out to them, tire gouging on fender creates a noise you normally wouldnt hear, so wouldnt you have stopped the car at first sign of grinding noise.
Horrible thinking. You should not assume anything when it comes to car shops. There are so many shops out there screwing things up for other owners that it is really incredible.

I agree with what the other poster said about talking about other car people in the area but there are so many drivers that could careless about forums and car sites that I doubt based on their response to your original discussion that they will care about that. I would take the discount on the new tire and be done with it.
Old 03-27-13, 04:52 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BernieIS
Horrible thinking. You should not assume anything when it comes to car shops. There are so many shops out there screwing things up for other owners that it is really incredible.

I agree with what the other poster said about talking about other car people in the area but there are so many drivers that could careless about forums and car sites that I doubt based on their response to your original discussion that they will care about that. I would take the discount on the new tire and be done with it.
yeah, thats why i never really want to take my car to anyone, this was an exception since i dont have alignment rack. but if i cant get new tires, i might just keep it and suck it up. its on the outer top edge of the tire, so it wouldnt really affect wear, since im cambered a little anyway. lesson learned. lol.
Old 03-27-13, 08:31 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all they can really do is offer you a new tire
Old 03-28-13, 05:28 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Denver
all they can really do is offer you a new tire
thats all i want is a new tire....but they want me to pay at wholesale and the owner also told me yesterday to call discounttiredirect and tell them somethings wrong with my tire and try to warranty through them and not to tell them i lowered my car. lol
Old 03-28-13, 08:17 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why you gotta do the alignment yourself
Attached Thumbnails autoshop gouged tire**help with what to do**-image.jpg  
Old 03-28-13, 08:50 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Moral of the story: Always note the condition of your car before your drop it off at any shop.

I try to do the following:

Give it a quick rinse at the coin-op and take a few photos of the paint.

Take pics of the odometer and the wheels/tires, and show them to the mechanics.

This one is a little extreme, but you can also have the mechanic sit in your car while you test all the electronic functions (if you're getting something wired in for example). Reason for this is so they can see that everything works, and if they return it to you and something doesn't work, its definitely something they messed up.

Oh and always give the car a thorough once over instead of just driving it off the lot. Once you drive it away, any damage that you find after the fact, they can deny and just say that it could have been something you did.
Old 03-28-13, 09:22 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Moral of the story: Always note the condition of your car before your drop it off at any shop.

I try to do the following:

Give it a quick rinse at the coin-op and take a few photos of the paint.

Take pics of the odometer and the wheels/tires, and show them to the mechanics.

This one is a little extreme, but you can also have the mechanic sit in your car while you test all the electronic functions (if you're getting something wired in for example). Reason for this is so they can see that everything works, and if they return it to you and something doesn't work, its definitely something they messed up.

Oh and always give the car a thorough once over instead of just driving it off the lot. Once you drive it away, any damage that you find after the fact, they can deny and just say that it could have been something you did.
pretty much what it is. lol. i just never thought of going through the process, but in this case. it would have helped.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-13, 09:59 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, you never think to go through the motions until something like this happens to you (or you read someone else's horror story, lol). We learn with experience. I'd take the discounted tire and cut your losses there.
Old 03-28-13, 10:59 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious where did u go?
Old 03-28-13, 11:02 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

another moral.....tell them you're **** about your car and to be extremely careful with it and that it's lowered. Then watch them like a HAWK!!
Old 03-28-13, 11:13 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MashinA
Im curious where did u go?
Tire Mania on 301 and adamo,