IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Prospective Lexus owner (from BMW)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 06:09 PM
NYG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Lexus owner (from BMW)

Hey all,
I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 BMW X3 (71k miles) for an even trade 2007 IS250awd w/navi (91k miles). I know the miles are high but I do have faith in toyota, and it is barely 6 years old. I have my list of issues with my current X3, its fun as hell to drive but the interior is just so cheaply made, and I can tell BMW did not put much time into this car. It is a great drive, but that's all I can say.

Anyways, I wanted your guys opinions on how this trade sounds to you guys? And if I should be worried about a 91k 2007 IS250. I've checked service records, and it has had all the regular oil changes, and ONLY the first service done at lexus, this is not to say the car has never been serviced anywhere else but take it as a grain of salt. The car is in superb shape aesthetically, not a scratch, and I will be having my mechanic take a look at it this weekend.

What do ya guys think? Here's to sticking it to BMW and hopefully soon being a proud IS owner, Cheers!
Old 03-28-13, 06:40 PM
NYG
Driver

anyone? also, prob a stupid question but why do you guys call her 2is? is it because its 2nd gen?
Old 03-28-13, 06:48 PM
nebojsa
Rookie

how much is the lexus? i would go for a 350 if you care about hp(100 more) seem like a good chunk of miles on it. i got my 07 with 49k
Old 03-28-13, 06:48 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, 2nd Gen. Did u test drive it yet? X3 for the IS250 is a good move, just make sure you like the is250 and how it drives
Old 03-28-13, 07:01 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by nebojsa
how much is the lexus? i would go for a 350 if you care about hp(100 more) seem like a good chunk of miles on it. i got my 07 with 49k
hey, its an even swap..meaning I put no money on top of my X3. it is actually valued about $1,300 more than the x3 as well. And eh, not really set on a 350 because I need awd in nj winters, and also dont want to put a single penny on top of my car.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-28-13, 07:03 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by darkmanx3k
yup, 2nd Gen. Did u test drive it yet? X3 for the IS250 is a good move, just make sure you like the is250 and how it drives
thanks for your reply. I hope it is a good move because the only thing I'm really nervous about is trading in for a car with 20k more miles (even though it is one year newer).
I have not test drove it yet as the car is out of states, will do this weekend however. If everything goes well my 06 x3 will be swapped evenly for the 07 2is in a couple days!

any other opinions or comments anyone!?

Old 03-28-13, 07:18 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I picked up an '07 IS 250 AWD last year with pretty much 70K (69.9k) on the clock. It has been treating me really well with I think two owners before it (could be 3) but the history checked out and the Lexus owners site (after registering on the site and the car) pulled up detailed services between the Lexus dealerships. Small things specific with my IS was a weird buzzing sound which I found to be a rusted out heat shield clamp on the exhaust and that was about it. I just change the oil every 5~7K and check my tire pressure every month. You can't go wrong with it and the interior is well thought out and is very nice compared to the BMW.
Old 03-28-13, 07:27 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I picked up an '07 IS 250 AWD last year with pretty much 70K (69.9k) on the clock. It has been treating me really well with I think two owners before it (could be 3) but the history checked out and the Lexus owners site (after registering on the site and the car) pulled up detailed services between the Lexus dealerships. Small things specific with my IS was a weird buzzing sound which I found to be a rusted out heat shield clamp on the exhaust and that was about it. I just change the oil every 5~7K and check my tire pressure every month. You can't go wrong with it and the interior is well thought out and is very nice compared to the BMW.
exactly the reassurance I wanted to hear, thanks man! I'm very excited to make the switch. best thing about it is I have to put no $ at all on top, not even dealer fees. Is there anyway to check if I wont get a faulty navi down the road like a lot of others Ive been hearing of? also is there anyway I can update the maps on the navi without paying lexus $160? I mostly use google maps on android right now which is amazing, but would be nice to have updated maps on the actual car navi as well.

Old 03-28-13, 07:31 PM
NYG
Driver

also, is it absolutely neccessary I switch out the spark plugs right away? its been 91k and the guy has not brought it to a lexus dealer ever since the first service (I wouldnt either). So, is there anyway to tell if they have been replaced?

Old 03-28-13, 07:40 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYG
exactly the reassurance I wanted to hear, thanks man! I'm very excited to make the switch. best thing about it is I have to put no $ at all on top, not even dealer fees. Is there anyway to check if I wont get a faulty navi down the road like a lot of others Ive been hearing of? also is there anyway I can update the maps on the navi without paying lexus $160? I mostly use google maps on android right now which is amazing, but would be nice to have updated maps on the actual car navi as well.

I didn't know about the nav screen giving out until I perused the threads after getting it. I think other members here can give you advice to find out when they are gonna go.

From what I've seen, the navigation maps can be updated by downloading them through a torrent and writing the files to a dual layer DVD or have someone copy maps off their car with a dual layer DVD, probably a Verbatim disc. I think one of my parents got a friend with the same generation (Gen. 5) maps to make a copy of their DVD and it worked when I replaced the disc and the maps were updated to the 2011 maps. Updating the maps was a must because the road I take everyday has a bridge that was completed when my car was new (08-09) so I would used to drive off-road until the maps were updated.
Old 03-28-13, 07:43 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYG
also, is it absolutely neccessary I switch out the spark plugs right away? its been 91k and the guy has not brought it to a lexus dealer ever since the first service (I wouldnt either). So, is there anyway to tell if they have been replaced?

I've recently took my car to Lexus for safety recalls, the wiper arm nut and the internal trunk release. I also had them diagnose the carbon buildup that is specific to our car. They found that my sparkplugs were original and needed to be changed, I think they were 20k overdue (if you go by service intervals). Lexus wanted $400 for the job so I took it to a family friend that did it for almost half the cost.

EDIT: I'd imagine asking the previous owner if they changed it would lead nowhere (maybe). If you do get the IS, you can take the VIN and put it into the Lexus owners site I linked in my first reply to you and see the reported service records on it (that's only if it was taken to Lexus to be serviced) but you can add your own self service from what I can see to keep the records updated. Or you can take it to Lexus to have them check and get a "quote" for the job and take it elsewhere like I did.

Last edited by knguyenk; 03-28-13 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 03-28-13, 07:53 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spark plugs can be bought from Sewell (you will definitely want to create an account if you buy an IS) for around $12 each, and are really easy to install. Did mine in my 350 about a year ago and I think it took me around 30 minutes to do. I have seen, ridden in and driven several BMWs and I really prefer the IS. They are great cars and they are well built. They hold their value and are always at the top of any lists regarding build quality, customer satisfaction and longevity. I say take it! Be sure you post up pics of your new 2is!!!!
Old 03-28-13, 08:26 PM
NYG
Driver

awesome advice guys. thank you.for your time, it is really appreciated!

Old 03-28-13, 08:29 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by knguyenk
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYG

I've recently took my car to Lexus for safety recalls, the wiper arm nut and the internal trunk release. I also had them diagnose the carbon buildup that is specific to our car. They found that my sparkplugs were original and needed to be changed, I think they were 20k overdue (if you go by service intervals). Lexus wanted $400 for the job so I took it to a family friend that did it for almost half the cost.

EDIT: I'd imagine asking the previous owner if they changed it would lead nowhere (maybe). If you do get the IS, you can take the VIN and put it into the Lexus owners site I linked in my first reply to you and see the reported service records on it (that's only if it was taken to Lexus to be serviced) but you can add your own self service from what I can see to keep the records updated. Or you can take it to Lexus to have them check and get a "quote" for the job and take it elsewhere like I did.
I'm getting it from a private dealer so.dont really have a way to contact the previous owner. Also, there are little to no records of.service at lexus, I've checked updated records from Lexus service dept. So there is no way to tell if Spark Plugs have been replaced if the person hasnt taken it to lexus itself?

Old 03-29-13, 04:07 AM
NYG
Driver

anyone else care to chime in?