IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

loud idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 09:32 AM
NYG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vapid2323
The video is private, you need to change that before we can help you.
woops! Sorry, should work now

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-04-13, 09:57 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have 3 threads about the same thing..

This Thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-symptoms.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...loud-idle.html

You should stick to one and provide information in the same location so it gains traction and people respond, instead of creating multiple posts.

Last edited by OPTiK; 04-04-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 10:15 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by OPTiK
You have 3 threads about the same thing..

This Thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-symptoms.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...loud-idle.html

You should stick to one and provide information in the same location so it gains traction and people respond, instead of creating multiple posts.
Sorry if that bothered you. I just created a new thread because I finally got around to making a video. Thanks for the input nonetheless.

Old 04-04-13, 11:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG
Sorry if that bothered you. I just created a new thread because I finally got around to making a video. Thanks for the input nonetheless.

threads merged

OP: next time just stick with one thread - more thread does not mean more responces from other memebers.
Old 04-04-13, 01:02 PM
NYG
Driver

update:
Lexus says I have a water pump on its way out. However, my local dealer (who obviously doesnt want to pay for anything) is saying they want their mechanics to take a look at it first before they do anything.

Any advice here on how to convince the local dealership, as they are saying "if its broken we'll fix it." I dont really have any symptoms except the slight rumble.

Anyone get a chance to hear the video I posted of my car?

Old 04-04-13, 01:41 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Which dealership are you going to? I've had good experiences with Lexus of Edison
Old 04-04-13, 01:44 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Which dealership are you going to? I've had good experiences with Lexus of Edison
its prestige. but I bought the car from a private dealer in Long Island. I'm trying to make them pay for it. any suggestions?

Old 04-04-13, 02:00 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Private dealers will never pay for anything, usually if you look at your purchase paperwork you purchase the car as it is.
Old 04-04-13, 02:12 PM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers can't just take your word for everything as that would be terrible business practices. Let them run their tests to prove it is the issue. Typically these guys know what their doing. They will probably cycle your coolant or check the pulley on the pump as a couple of tests.

From my experiences they charge a "diagnostic fee" of approximately $85 for cars. If they determine no issue is discovered you will have to pay that amount. If something is discovered, they typically credit that to the repair bill.

You may need to say say some buzz words to help the situation. Check the water pump pulley for "play". Check to see a "rapid rise in the temperature gauge". You may have noticed "overheating" or "apparent physical rust or damaged on the pump"., a "belt squeal", a "whine".
Old 04-04-13, 02:17 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
Private dealers will never pay for anything, usually if you look at your purchase paperwork you purchase the car as it is.
That hasnt been my experience. Every reputable dealer will set repairs (as long as they are non-maintenance related). More importantly, the waterpump itself is specifically mentioned in the lemon law. Also, its only been 2 days since Ive had the car.
Old 04-04-13, 02:29 PM
NYG
Driver

I've recieved feedback from only 1 or 2 people about the actual noise, so those who want to hear the video here it is, is this how your guys idle sounds as well? It sounds rough to me but I don't know if its normal.--
Old 04-04-13, 07:08 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My idle definitely does not sound like that. Aside from the normal sewing machine noise our engine produces, the other "rough/metallic" sound is not something I believe to be normal.
Old 04-05-13, 03:53 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by NQR89
My idle definitely does not sound like that. Aside from the normal sewing machine noise our engine produces, the other "rough/metallic" sound is not something I believe to be normal.
thanks for your reply. Do you think it sounds like a failing water pump?

Old 04-05-13, 03:25 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by NQR89
update 2:
the dealer put in a new water pump and serpentine belt. the rough "rumble" and "metallic" noise is gone. but now I'm hearing more of a prominent sewing machine ticking. I could be OCDing about this but a loud tick is definitely apparent at idle.

here are my current symptoms:
-light steering wheel rumble on idle or stopped at red light.
-loud sewing machine ticking noise at idle.
-when the car is idling the RPMs are about 700.

Old 04-05-13, 04:44 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG
update 2:
the dealer put in a new water pump and serpentine belt. the rough "rumble" and "metallic" noise is gone. but now I'm hearing more of a prominent sewing machine ticking. I could be OCDing about this but a loud tick is definitely apparent at idle.

here are my current symptoms:
-light steering wheel rumble on idle or stopped at red light.
-loud sewing machine ticking noise at idle.
-when the car is idling the RPMs are about 700.

The sewing machine ticking is normal. In terms of steering wheel rumble and rpms (though rpms seem normal to me), is this a 250? If it is then the idle and steering wheel shake could be related to carbon build up. There is no way the private dealer will cover the top engine clean for that since you haven't thrown codes (even lex won't do a fix in most cases without codes). Best thing you can do to see if its carbon is have a mechanic perform a carbon cleaning by pumping fluids through the vacuum line. Best option you can do is find a shop that can perform a BG GDI service which will take a few hours, but will get rid of almost all of the carbon buildup.

If it's a 350 then ignore all the carbon stuff above.

Quick Reply: loud idle