IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Resurface/Refinish OEM Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 07:50 AM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Resurface/Refinish OEM Wheels

I am trying to figure out what to do with my OEM painted factory wheels on my IS250. I intend on keeping my car for awhile. My concern is addressing the severely bubbling paint before it results in any rust issues or other complications like air pressure loss. It sounds like this is a very common problem most Lexus / Toyota owners are having.

I have bought myself time as a have set of "summer" chrome wheels. So my OEM wheels need a solution by November for winter. I will physically have them in-hand and off the car for any repairs with a flexible time frame for repairs to be complete.

These are my ideas & questions so far listed below.

What have others done to address this issue?
Anyone purchase refurbished OEM wheels ?
What companies did you use?
What type of money are you getting for your OEM wheels selling on eBay?
Anyone try the "Winterchrome" products from LA Wheel & Tire?

1) Lexus charges $800 to resurface and repaint OEM wheels.

2) Maaco estimates $400 to resurface and repaint OEM wheels. From opinions, it is an extremely low quality work product.

3) Most OEM refurbished vendors want nearly retail for used OEM wheels, plus my set in trade.

4) Local body shop wants $265 per wheel plus my set in exchange.

5) Can of spray paint with a comparable color. I understand the limitations, but I figure I will have to pay for a resurface and paint stripping eventually, so why not delay the cost.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 04-15-13, 11:01 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow--I have an 2006 that saw its first 6 years of life in salty areas of NY, VA and Colorado. I have no issues with my wheels. Although I had them refinished due to curb rash, sanded filled in and painted. now sadly they chip easy and I gave up. They are in my garage, ready to be just a winter set now that I got some chrome wheels.

how common is this issue?
Old 04-15-13, 11:07 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My AWD wheels are pretty torn up. The previous owner must have been bad at parking (curb rash and such) but in other spots the paint is bubbling and peeling. I will either have mine refinished (probably in a darker color) or replace them.
Old 04-15-13, 04:22 PM
ISmak4
Driver

I'm looking to repair some curb damage and salt damage to my rims too, does any know the specific colour the OEM wheels are called or the code? It's on an 07'.

This color:

Yes I know my calipers need to be fixed. Will do it soon!
Old 04-15-13, 04:49 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by funglenn
wow--I have an 2006 that saw its first 6 years of life in salty areas of NY, VA and Colorado. I have no issues with my wheels. Although I had them refinished due to curb rash, sanded filled in and painted. now sadly they chip easy and I gave up. They are in my garage, ready to be just a winter set now that I got some chrome wheels.

how common is this issue?
Very common dealer will refinish if under warranty. Had my done 2 times and they still bubble back. I just use them as winter setup. Poorly coated from factory.
Old 04-15-13, 05:19 PM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Redo them in shadow chrome. Beautiful colour.