IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hids

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 11:17 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hids

Posting here since i didnt get a reply in the other thread.

I have an 09 is250 where can i get a nice set of the garax 6k? as in from where should i buy them?
Also what are good hids for fogs i heard xenon depot has some are these it ----> http://www.kbcarstuff.com/D4S-XenonD...b-p/xt-d4s.htm
Old 04-17-13, 11:26 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I recently installed 2 Xenon Depot Extreme kits, both low beams and fog lights.. I went 6500k for the lows and 5000k for the fogs and i'm very happy with them. Can't say much about the garax as i've never had them but I do see a lot of people using them (here on this forum) so i'm sure they're just as good.. I ordered from the exact same site you have posted and everything was smooth as can be. I ordered LED parking lights along with the 2 HID kits.
Old 04-17-13, 11:29 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Thanks for the reply i think im going to do
http://www.mod-express.com/product_p/xtc-d4.htm

and
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Volt-HID-D...-p/vdp-hid.htm
Old 04-17-13, 11:35 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely contact STEVE over at Xenon Depot. Quality is on point along with the provided customer service. My HID Bulbs and HID Kit match to perfection.
Old 04-17-13, 11:41 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget Garax, send a PM to xenondepot and Steve will help you. Ive used the Xenondepot Volt kit for my fogs for a couple months with no issues
Old 04-18-13, 12:40 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a question about HID's for the ISx50. I didnt want to start a new thread so excuse if I hijack a little bit... I'm having trouble finding the correct information about HID's for this car since I just got my IS. Which is better, replace the stock bulbs with HID bulbs using the OEM ballast, OR buying a full HID kit with ballast and connecting them inline with the stock ballast.

WHICH IS THE PREFERRED OPTION?
Old 04-18-13, 12:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I also have a question about HID's for the ISx50. I didnt want to start a new thread so excuse if I hijack a little bit... I'm having trouble finding the correct information about HID's for this car since I just got my IS. Which is better, replace the stock bulbs with HID bulbs using the OEM ballast, OR buying a full HID kit with ballast and connecting them inline with the stock ballast.

WHICH IS THE PREFERRED OPTION?
If your car comes with HIDs just replace the bulb. No reason to waste money on buying another ballast
Old 04-18-13, 05:32 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I have Garax 6000K for my HID low beam. The color is great but visibility is definitely lower than stock bulb. But I run HID fog which compensate the visibility for the headlight.

I have Xenondepot volt for my wife's highlander low beam. Light output and color is great. I run 4300K for maximum light output since the highlander has nice projector lens to give out nice bluish hues already.

Do not buy HID kit from DDM tuning. The ballast failed within 2 years and don't bother contacting them. They dont reply. I saw posting somewhere that leaving the light option at auto tends to shorten the life of ballast if the KIT does not have a relay because it requires a lot of juice to 1.start the engine, 2. start low beam ballast, and 3. start fog light ballast at around the same time. This is my case with DDM ballast, I guess.

I have just purchased a set of 5000K morimoto HID kit from retrofit resource. It is slight more expensive than Xenondepot but I think it is worth the money, especially with the 5 year warranty and their customer service is great as well.

If it makes no difference to you between Xenon depot vs TRS, I suggest Xenondepot since they are clublexus sponsered vendors.
Old 04-18-13, 06:18 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Volt kit from XenonDepot for lowbeams
About 2-3 weeks ago the passenger ballast started acting up
It would not turn on with the engine in "AUTO" or "ON"
Even if I switch it to "OFF" and back to "ON" right away, still doesn't light up
Only way to get it back up is to switch it to "OFF" and wait like 1-2min, then switch it back "ON" would they turn on
Switched bulbs left-right, and exact same thing, which concludes that it's the ballast
Still in the process of dealing with XD to see what they can do for warranty (it's less than 1-year old)

Looking for HID for fogs too and I think I'm going to go with Morimoto from TRS, they have a 5 year warranty as well review is phenomenon
Old 04-26-13, 08:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Guys,

SeanO: I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the XenonDepot Xtreme kit.

L3XOTIC: Thanks bud =) I appreciate you posting some feedback. Glad to hear you're enjoying the bulbs and LED DRL!

bob4256: Thanks as well =) Glad you're enjoying the Volt HID kit.

NYKnick101: If your car has OEM HID then you would simply need to get D4S HID bulbs and use your stock bulbs. I'm not saying that we have the only good quality aftermarket D4S bulbs but please be careful when purchasing aftermarket D4S bulbs as your ballasts are very sensitive and if the bulb is not designed properly it will fail extremely prematurely.

dong888: Thanks!! We are one of the original supporting vendors on clublexus!

reyoasian: Sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue. I'm not sure who you are speaking to here but feel free to send me a PM. I personally suggest going with the Xtreme kit for the fogs as the ballasts have a lower starting draw. Either way, your ballast should be covered under warranty as the Volt kit comes with a 2 year warranty.

Steve
Old 04-26-13, 08:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi Guys,

SeanO: I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the XenonDepot Xtreme kit.

L3XOTIC: Thanks bud =) I appreciate you posting some feedback. Glad to hear you're enjoying the bulbs and LED DRL!

bob4256: Thanks as well =) Glad you're enjoying the Volt HID kit.

NYKnick101: If your car has OEM HID then you would simply need to get D4S HID bulbs and use your stock bulbs. I'm not saying that we have the only good quality aftermarket D4S bulbs but please be careful when purchasing aftermarket D4S bulbs as your ballasts are very sensitive and if the bulb is not designed properly it will fail extremely prematurely.

dong888: Thanks!! We are one of the original supporting vendors on clublexus!

reyoasian: Sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue. I'm not sure who you are speaking to here but feel free to send me a PM. I personally suggest going with the Xtreme kit for the fogs as the ballasts have a lower starting draw. Either way, your ballast should be covered under warranty as the Volt kit comes with a 2 year warranty.

Steve
Hey Steve, I think you mean ballasts haha
Old 04-26-13, 09:02 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

whoops.... it's Friday
Old 04-27-13, 08:26 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought 5000k from xenon depot, I hope they are brighter and better visibility than the one from twspny
Old 04-29-13, 09:14 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Sweet! Please post up some feedback once you get them installed.

Steve
Old 04-29-13, 10:26 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive had 3 sets of 3k Volt HID's from XenonDepot and no set came with matching colors. Theyd range from almost white to actual yellow, but no matching sets of the same shade of yellow, huge let down and waste of money. Initially i bought a set for the 2IS fogs, told them about it and they sent a new set (had to mix and match the now 4 bulbs i had) until i found a decent match, then i had to switch to ISF fogs and the pair i got didnt match. At least for 3k (yellow) kits, i cant say I'd recommend them.