IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 02:55 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not feeling the wheels and tail lights. Like others have said, it might look a lot better lowered. Definitely look into coilovers especially for AWD.
Old 04-17-13, 03:09 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
the plasti-dip'd rear lights don't bother me as much as the wheels. they look hideous and look way too busy.

i would get a refund for however much you paid for them and go back to OEM wheels until you can afford a nicer-looking set of wheels - even if said second set of wheels are knock-offs/replicas.

after all, if you're going to buy some made-in-china wheels, at least buy something that's eye-catching.
I can afford any wheel i want.. I chose these wheels because i wanted them.. and they're not made in china, nor were they cheap
Old 04-17-13, 03:16 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Initial G
Like others have said, I would have to agree, not really feeling the rims at the moment. Maybe if you lowered the car a little, it might like the rims better. LOL

I know you said the roads are terrible over there, but if you got coils, you could adjust the height. Just a little drop makes a huge difference. I actually don't mind the tail lights, in the sun, they don't look that dark. Any plans for future mods?
Yeah its hard to judge the tail lights through pictures because they look vastly different depending on how the sunlight (if any) hits them.. they look a lot better in person. Coils would be the only mod i'd be looking into doing now.. just not sure how much i care to
Old 04-17-13, 03:25 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
I must say plasti dip isnt IMO ment for taillights and wheels....To each their own but Bob is right redouts is the way to go unless your actually getting your tails done prof. like i said before no disrespect to Plasti Dip fanatics, but you are in a lexus......you get what you pay for. Anyways to each their own your happy then its all gravy.
You don't need to remind me i'm in a lexus haha you make my point exactly.. not many people out there know what plasti dip is let alone what it looks like.. they see tinted tail lights.. not a 20 dollar can of rubber haha
Old 04-17-13, 03:43 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious on the price of the wheels if you don't mind sharing.
Old 04-17-13, 03:51 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nikon
just curious on the price of the wheels if you don't mind sharing.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I paid $230 per wheel
Old 04-17-13, 04:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

$230 per wheel is quite cheap, but even if they weren't cheap, they look cheap. The tail lights look pretty bad too.

All that said, as long as you like it, and don't think they look cheap. Thumbs up for doing what you want, ignore people who don't like it.

Car would definitely look nice if it was lowered a bit.

Jeff
Old 04-17-13, 04:10 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have just left everything OEM and not mod at all if all

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 04-17-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 04:13 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
I can afford any wheel i want.. I chose these wheels because i wanted them.. and they're not made in china, nor were they cheap
i certainly hope you didn't pay more than $800-something for a set, because vivid racing has them for $217.35 per wheel. hard to believe knock-off wheels don't come cheap nowadays (they look mighty close to Vossen 082's), but i digress.

question is, what does Saemie Corporation have to do with the Bremmer Kraft brand? (answer: Saemie Corporation = parent company = import wheels manufacturered in china)

so what was that about those wheels not being cheap or not made in china? right...

welcome to CL.
Old 04-17-13, 07:34 PM
SeanO
Instructor

i certainly hope you didn't pay more than $800-something for a set, because vivid racing has them for $217.35 per wheel. hard to believe knock-off wheels don't come cheap nowadays (they look mighty close to Vossen 082's), but i digress.

question is, what does Saemie Corporation have to do with the Bremmer Kraft brand? (answer: Saemie Corporation = parent company = import wheels manufacturered in china)

so what was that about those wheels not being cheap or not made in china? right...

welcome to CL.
Someone stand up and clap for this fella.. Rims are rims to me man.. don't matter where they make 'em or what they look similar to.. I'm 20 years old driving a lexus.. I ain't complainin.. but thanks for the background check on my wheels
Old 04-17-13, 08:09 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Someone stand up and clap for this fella.. Rims are rims to me man.. don't matter where they make 'em or what they look similar to.. I'm 20 years old driving a lexus.. I ain't complainin.. but thanks for the background check on my wheels
He was only giving you knowledge about your wheels that you didnt know bc you did say
they're not made in china, nor were they cheap
You make it sound like things made in china are a bad thing? Some people kill me with "its made in China tho". Companies get things made in China because it's cheaper for them and the quality is still good. To be honest people sometimes get something wrong with an item that's made in China. That's cause they make EVERYTHING!! now a days. Compared to other countries China still has the least "messed UP products" ratio compared to production. You see when the Olympics were held in China? That was off the hook, the shows, the lights, the coordination. You see how many gold medals they win each year? Every big league "major" company has standards that have to be met regardless of where an item is manufacturer.
Old 04-17-13, 08:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

pretty much everything everyone else has said - i don't like the wheels at all; they look cheap as hell.
Old 04-17-13, 08:16 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey seano welcome to CL. I know u have been getting bashed on the look but u did ask for people's opinions.
I agree with everyone though u really need to lower ur ride. I don't think its the wheels that are the issue its that it doesn't sit well with the aggressiveness of the wheels that you are @ stock height. Plus it would look a lot better if u wash ur car first before posting cuz it looks half-assed that u have a dirty car but very shiny wheels. Especially since you are driving a Lexus u gotta have more respect for your baby.

As for the plasti-dip lights its not bad looks like u smoked it out. Im not a big fan on smoked tail lights but it looks good just as if u put vinyl over it.
Old 04-18-13, 05:23 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

No i don't read any of what i type.. Seriously?! If i wanted redouts i would have them.. People have opinions which is why i said let me know what you think (without reading it).. Thanks for your opinion though
Look, Im not trying to start anything or sound mean, but when you say **** off haters and then ask us your opinion, you better expect to get some negative feedback. Your basically egging on these "haters"

Redouts are overrated in my eyes.. They're hardly different from stock.. boring
Redouts actually make a huge difference, the IS should come stock with them on IMO. If you dont like them thats fine, but I think you should have left them alone instead of "smoking them out." And this is coming from someone who orignally had their tails lights blacked out and it looked cool for about 2 weeks

the plasti-dip'd rear lights don't bother me as much as the wheels. they look hideous and look way too busy.

i would get a refund for however much you paid for them and go back to OEM wheels until you can afford a nicer-looking set of wheels - even if said second set of wheels are knock-offs/replicas.

after all, if you're going to buy some made-in-china wheels, at least buy something that's eye-catching.
I agree. If the OP likes them, thats fine, but I always wonder why some people buy ugly wheels (thats just my opinion, but it seems others agree) on the car when the stock ones look much better

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
I must say plasti dip isnt IMO ment for taillights and wheels....To each their own but Bob is right redouts is the way to go unless your actually getting your tails done prof. like i said before no disrespect to Plasti Dip fanatics, but you are in a lexus......you get what you pay for. Anyways to each their own your happy then its all gravy.
Again I agree. Jumpman, Im not a fan of blacked out tails, but from what I can tell yours are done right and at least dont look cheap.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I paid $230 per wheel

welcome to CL.
And this is where you are wrong. Rims are not rims man. Knockoff wheels (yours do look similar to the Vossen 082) are normally made cheaply and the quality is questionable. As an example, why do you think a set of Vossens retail for over $2000 but you can buy China made knockoffs for less than $1000?

If you like the rims thats fine, its your car not ours. But you claim your wheels were not cheap, but you paid $230 per wheel? Thats cheap dude.

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
He was only giving you knowledge about your wheels that you didnt know bc you did say

You make it sound like things made in china are a bad thing? Some people kill me with "its made in China tho". Companies get things made in China because it's cheaper for them and the quality is still good. To be honest people sometimes get something wrong with an item that's made in China. That's cause they make EVERYTHING!! now a days. Compared to other countries China still has the least "messed UP products" ratio compared to production. You see when the Olympics were held in China? That was off the hook, the shows, the lights, the coordination. You see how many gold medals they win each year? Every big league "major" company has standards that have to be met regardless of where an item is manufacturer.
This is true, A LOT of things are now made in China, the problem is when wheels are being made and could be unsafe. Theres a reason why there are memes show cracked Rota rims. Then again, the pricing makes them tempting. Ive seen fake CV1s, CV3s, and CV4 made in China and have seen them in several wheel shops down here in south FL
Old 04-18-13, 05:48 AM
ZNation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post Bob. OP, you asked for people's thought, and they gave them to you. Take it for what its worth. I think the point of this forum is to help a lot of people get a certain 'look' with their car. If you don't like what everyone is saying, close the thread and move on.

Quick Reply: Finally!