IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car got keyed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 04:17 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car got keyed...

Ok, I have noticed that some idiot keyed my car. There is a scratch starts from the edge of the passenger back door toward the taillight. luckly its not too deep but still you can clearly see it. Especially in the sun. I'll take it to a body shop to get it fixed.

So here is a stupid question about the fix. If they wet sand it and polish it they might be able to remove the scratch. But the clearcoat will be thinner in that area. How will that affect the paint over the time? Will that area of paint fade quicker than the rest of the car?
Old 04-18-13, 05:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It will be perfectly fine as long as you keep it protected (as well as the rest of the car) with proper maintenance.

If you use traditional wax, you need to apply it every 6-8 weeks for optimum protection.

If you use a synthetic sealant, apply it every 3-6 months.

For worry free protection, seek out a professional detailer and have them apply a permanent coating like Opti-Coat.

**A detailer will be able to remove that scratch and will do a better job than a body shop, most likely for cheaper price as well!!! The body shop will just hack at it with a high powered rotary tool, while a good detailer will use less aggressive tools to help preserve the clear coat!**

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding detailing, waxing, sealant, opti-coat... or anything else.
Old 04-18-13, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Ok, I have noticed that some idiot keyed my car. There is a scratch starts from the edge of the passenger back door toward the taillight. luckly its not too deep but still you can clearly see it. Especially in the sun. I'll take it to a body shop to get it fixed.

So here is a stupid question about the fix. If they wet sand it and polish it they might be able to remove the scratch. But the clearcoat will be thinner in that area. How will that affect the paint over the time? Will that area of paint fade quicker than the rest of the car?
If your fingernail gets hung up sliding over the scratch,you usually need a paint repair.
Old 04-18-13, 06:18 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

@zmcgovern4 - Thanks for the advice. I have more confident in that body shop than the detailer I used before. The detailer doing a good job detailing the car, but they were really not good at filling the stone chips. duh..

@Joeb427 - I can feel the scratch if I glide the fingernail over it. But its seems not that deep that the fingernail hangs up easily on the scratch. So they might be able to remove it or at least make it less noticeble.

I'll tell the guys at the body shop to take easy on the paint.
Old 04-18-13, 07:07 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Like I said... a good detailer will do better than a body shop... idk about the guy you have used before. Rock chips will never really look great unless they are repainted. Anyways, a detailer will spend more time buffing the paint to perfection where a body shop typically just gets it to look "good enough".

Here is an example of what a professional detailer can do... (paint thickness measurements should always be taken prior to any sort of machine polishing or wet sanding)

Deep scratches before.

After sanding with 2000 grit and then 3000 grit

Completely removed after 2 buffing steps (heavy compounding and then finish polishing)

And here is an example of damage left behind by body shop "detailers"

and then a detailer fixed it...

Just saying... I've got some experience with this stuff, but it can be hard to find a good detailer and/or a good body shop so if you trust your shop then let them at it I guess. Since your car is white it will be more difficult to notice any swirls or holograms they leave behind.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 04-18-13 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 07:43 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Thanks again zmcgovern4. The easiest, least time consuming way is to let the body shop take care of it. But I will let the detailing shop look at it too and see what they says. Maybe they can do a retreatment on the rest of the car at the same time. It seems a gambling on who will do the job best. Really do'nt have time for this.
Old 04-18-13, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I really think you are going to be sorry if you don't heed zmcgovern's advice...
Old 04-18-13, 07:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Thanks again zmcgovern4. The easiest, least time consuming way is to let the body shop take care of it. But I will let the detailing shop look at it too and see what they says. Maybe they can do a retreatment on the rest of the car at the same time. It seems a gambling on who will do the job best. Really do'nt have time for this.
You could always learn to DIY!
Old 04-18-13, 08:47 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got some light scratches out myself with 3m rubbing compound. Maybe you should they that first.
Old 04-18-13, 08:57 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

You would be amazed at what a good detailer can do. I certainly was.
Old 04-18-13, 09:21 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Ok, I'll let the detailing guy to take a look at it tomorrow. I hope they can do miracles! Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 04-18-13, 10:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by BernieIS
You would be amazed at what a good detailer can do. I certainly was.
Yup - We may not be worth much when it comes to fabricating parts, welding, or actually spraying paint, but when it comes to sanding and polishing... a good detailer should produce better results than a body shop every time.

Can't believe no one has said this yet, but post up a pic of this scratch!
Old 04-18-13, 02:37 PM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detailer for sure! Hope it comes out!
Old 04-18-13, 07:24 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

compounding does wonders!
Old 04-18-13, 07:25 PM
aishaxeaq