IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extended Warranty Engine Rebuild Happening

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 06:46 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Engine Rebuild Happening

So I normally come to the forums if I have a question, or if I want to look at cool modding ideas that the members have done. This time I thought I might actually contribute XD.

I got the call yesterday that the parts are at the dealership from Japan to begin rebuilding my engine free of charge, due to the carbon buildup/engine misfire. It took about 2 months for the parts to come in, so if it has happened to you, just be patient. I'm going to stop by the shop tomorrow (hopefully) and take some pictures and ask some questions regarding the process. Hopefully this thread will be insightful for you all.

I have a concern that they are going to want to charge me an arm and a leg for a new water pump due to mine being old, but since the engine will already be disassembled, theres no need for it to be a $500 dollar job like they previously stated.

Let me know if you have any questions I should ask the technicians. Thanks.

***EDIT***

I received this photo from the dealership. They do the job with the engine in the engine bay.

[IMG][/IMG]

I am waiting for them to tell me everything that will need to be replaced that is not covered under the warranty. I am especially anticipating them telling me that I will need a new water pump. I would recommend to all who are getting this job done to go ahead and replace the water pump if it is indeed bad. It is very expensive to get it done by itself anywhere else. Due to the dealership already having my engine stripped down, they can easily access the pump location and I assume it will be much cheaper. I will keep you updated. They stated my car will be done tonight.

Last edited by Downtuned; 04-30-13 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Updated information
Old 04-18-13, 06:57 AM
fujxyooj
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Is this for any year of the second gen? I wonder if I need to do it to mines too... Thanks
Old 04-18-13, 07:19 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

2006-2010. Did your car misfire, and have you gone to the dealership to get them to check the codes? They wont do it unless they can pull the codes showing there was a misfire due to carbon buildup. Also, you should have received a notice in the mail regarding the issue.
Old 04-18-13, 07:21 AM
fujxyooj
Driver School Candidate

Mines an 06 and I just purchased my car last year so I haven't gotten any notice yet, how long does the warranty last?
Old 04-18-13, 07:32 AM
prmdc1
Driver School Candidate

Default My engine was rebuilt

My wife too her car ,2010 IS250, in a few weeks ago for her 60,000 mile service. When we were told that it was going to be $1100 we told them to just do certain things and got the price down to under $300. We did not have them do the spark plugs and a few other high priced things. The service adviser told us that there is a service bulletin out for a poss mis fire issue. They would run the diagnostics for it and they had to send the results into Lexus. Well later that day we got a call saying that their was an issue and they would need the car for a week. He then called me the next day and said that if I wanted that they would do the entire 60,000 service for parts only. . When it was all said and done, I have a rebuild engine, a 60,000 mile service, and 1500 mile on a loaner all for $112.
Old 04-18-13, 07:37 AM
fujxyooj
Driver School Candidate

Good ups! Was your car misfiring too or was the CEL on?
Old 04-18-13, 07:40 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Top Tip - Have them change your water pump and spark plugs while they change your pistons. They will likely only charge you for the parts - no labor. The water pumps are notorious for failing so get it done now - they charged me $278. Have them change the spark plugs if you haven't had them changed recently.
Old 04-18-13, 07:48 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fujxyooj
Mines an 06 and I just purchased my car last year so I haven't gotten any notice yet, how long does the warranty last?
im not sure about how long the warranty lasts. im under the impression its an indefinite warranty with no expiration, just as long as it happens, your good to go. care to correct me if im wrong.

UPDATE: i just read in a previous post regarding the carbon buildup issue that the warranty lasts for 9 years.

Last edited by Downtuned; 04-18-13 at 08:02 AM. Reason: updated information
Old 04-18-13, 07:50 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by prmdc1
My wife too her car ,2010 IS250, in a few weeks ago for her 60,000 mile service. When we were told that it was going to be $1100 we told them to just do certain things and got the price down to under $300. We did not have them do the spark plugs and a few other high priced things. The service adviser told us that there is a service bulletin out for a poss mis fire issue. They would run the diagnostics for it and they had to send the results into Lexus. Well later that day we got a call saying that their was an issue and they would need the car for a week. He then called me the next day and said that if I wanted that they would do the entire 60,000 service for parts only. . When it was all said and done, I have a rebuild engine, a 60,000 mile service, and 1500 mile on a loaner all for $112.
what exactly were the parts you had replaced for $112? Awesome luck though. Lexus Customer Service is amazing!
Old 04-18-13, 07:51 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
Top Tip - Have them change your water pump and spark plugs while they change your pistons. They will likely only charge you for the parts - no labor. The water pumps are notorious for failing so get it done now - they charged me $278. Have them change the spark plugs if you haven't had them changed recently.
I am planning on changing the water pump. I remember in a meeting I had with the lexus rep regarding the rebuild, he was saying that it would cost around 500 bucks for the water pump, but im prepared to argue that. I will use your situation as a reference. How much will the spark plugs cost? I was assuming that would be an easy job for me to do myself?
Old 04-18-13, 08:34 AM
fujxyooj
Driver School Candidate

I believe you have to take the intake manifold off, I'm planning on doing this soon as well
Old 04-18-13, 01:45 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

In a 250, it is more involved to do the spark plugs. Honestly, if you put up a GOOD, reasonable explanation as to why you shouldn't have to pay for MOST labor costs you should be able to get the job done for the cost of parts + MINIMAL labor costs for that pump and plugs.

GL!
Old 04-18-13, 06:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

it's been four months for me so far and the parts still, ostensibly, haven't arrived at the dealership. i'm becoming majorly annoyed.
Old 04-18-13, 08:27 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ so then tell em you dont want to do it anymore and take your car back (if you dont have it)
Old 04-18-13, 09:51 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

you must not live in a big city.. its a first come first serve basis, and the bigger cities have a higher demand.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Engine Rebuild Happening