IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does dealership authorized body shop and general body shop makes a big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 02:43 PM
ray1202
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does dealership authorized body shop and general body shop makes a big difference?

Hi all,

As I mentioned in another thread I am looking for a body shop to repair the damages on my is250. I talked to different people. They are saying that dealership authorized body shop have better (a lot better) skill and techniques than a general body shop. Like paint and stuff, is that true? Cos the price difference is almost triple. I do not want to go to a general shop and end up spending more money because they didn't do a good job.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-13, 03:06 PM
surensm
Driver

I took mine to an authorized body shop where it's still being repaired. The price shouldn't be your concern tho cause all you're paying is deductible for your insurance which can be between 500-1000. The insurance takes care of the rest. Authorized body shops are authorized because they get the OEM parts and they get closer to the original paint than any other body shop. My neighbor took her ES to a general body shop after being rear ended. Now her trunk and bumper are almost gray while the rest is white.
Old 04-22-13, 01:38 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I would consider a body shop that the dealership themselves use or recommend being a VERY GOOD recommendation to follow.
Old 04-22-13, 03:35 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Every shop is different just cause the dealer take it them and cut a profit doesn't mean the best. There shop out there that aren't with Lexus and still do a hella of a job. Had Lexus dealer refinish my wheels three time with they're painter. Guess what they never sand blast it and the corrosion came back everytime.

Last edited by laobo979; 04-22-13 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 06:00 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO. I think a body shop is only as good as its technicians. Some dealers hire body guys that may have been certified with a program of some sort but has little experience. Paint and body seems like it's all about experience and feel. A good body guy can make new paint blend with old panels for uniformity, and you won't be able to tell.

Look/ask around. I haven't always had good experiences with dealers. I prefer a shop that specializes in paint and body ONLY, not one that does repairs/oil changes/etc. One who's been in business for some time, and has some cars already in the shop to look at so you can gauge the quality of work. A lot of shops can obtain OEM panels and parts, just make sure that's what you request. I've used a small body shop to paint my S2K before, they did a much better job than some of my friend's dealer-fixed cars.
Old 04-22-13, 06:27 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being appointed as dealer authorized body shop should indicate somehwat a decent level of craftmanship produced by that shop. Otherwise, that dealer don't want to take a risk of continuously having headache from customer complaints of lousy paint jobs.

However, that might not always be the case. I found that there are a lot of independent, reputable, experienced shops out there who can do even better job than dealer authorized shop. I always go to the shop that I am interested, talk with them, see their facility and inspect their finished works before I decide whether should I take my car in.

Last edited by SCWB; 04-22-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 07:30 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a few high end body shops and see what cars are being worked on and how they look. If you see junk cars and poor panel fitment move on. I recently had to make the same decision and wen to a great independent. They explained everything a lot better than the dealer suggested shop and I was very happy with the work.
Old 04-22-13, 08:06 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen more bad body work than good in the past. I would be VERY selective when it comes to this type of repair. Unlike finding a decent mechanic, body work is an art. A different animal all together. This is why you can go to Maaco and get a paint job for $800 or take it to a custom shop and have the same work done properly for $5,000.
Old 04-22-13, 09:06 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dealer authorized body shops often use OEM body parts and paints to fix your car. Other body shops use aftermarket parts but they price you out at OEM parts and paint so price is generally the same. Other body shops wont do the extra work if its not necessary and most of them will own up to it. But they are a hell of a lot quicker

if your a stickler for quality parts, then dealer is better, if you need quick and easy fix then general body shop
Old 04-23-13, 01:41 AM
Envy
Driver School Candidate

Look around at reputable shops don't just stop at your first one. If your insurance is picking up the bill I would go to the nicest one I could find. Ask about their painting process and the steps they take during it (paint time, do they remove all the panels, are the parts they use oem or used). Ask to look around their shop and if you see a car that was freshly painted look at it. Look for over amounts of orange peel, tons of trash in the paint, uneven lines, runs, and how all the panels fit together are they lined up or are there big gaps. A shops painting process will tell you a lot about how much care they put into repairing your car. Also when you come to pick up your car make sure you check all the things I stated before and don't sign for your car until it is how you want it. If the shop didn't do a good job take it to another shop to get it fixed just clear it with your insurance first. A lot of shops operate differently so just ask around and do some searches online.