IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 07-23-20, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: DaveGS4
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 11:32 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think he is talking about the actualy side mirror assembly, not just the mirror itself. mine has done it twice. waiting on "part" now for the second time. anyone know the reason for this?
Old 06-19-12, 12:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^I've never had that issue or really heard of it hear on the forum, maybe someone hit it? lol
Old 06-19-12, 09:11 AM
mykeeh33
Driver School Candidate

lol i have no idea if they hit it or not, doesn't look like they hit it at all just happened randomly,
i guess ill take it back to lexus, once they find out ill post it up.
Old 07-10-12, 03:58 PM
RayLHN75
Driver School Candidate

Default Driver's side view mirror actuator broke

Monday June 25, 2012

I fold my mirror in everyday. As I unfolded the mirror that day, I heard something pop but nothing fell out. The mirror swings freely and doesn't stop at the usual position. I called Wilkie Lexus to schedule an appointment for July 7th as it was my day off. I had to use painter's tape to hold it in place temporarily because the mirror would fling forward when I brake while driving. I see this as a safety issue.

Name:  IMAG0616.jpg
Views: 6773
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0617.jpg
Views: 7164
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0618.jpg
Views: 6587
Size:  55.4 KB

Saturday July 7th, 2012

I went to the dealership to see if they would cover it under warranty. I don't see why they wouldn't because I highly doubt that it was not designed to be folded in and out for 2 years straight and break. It is covered under warrant. They had to replace the actuator and the had the part. 45 minutes later, they tell me that it's the wrong color and that they would have to order it for Tuesday.

Tuesday July 9th, 2012

I called the service department at 8:45am and left a voicemail for my service advisor to see if the part came in yet. I planned to have my cousin drive up to the dealer around 11am. I still did not receive a phone call back at 10:15am. I had to call the service department up and ask if the part was in again. She told me that she was busy with customers and didn't get a chance to call me back yet. Then she says that they don't have to part.. I asked why and she said that she would have to ask the parts department. She'd call me back to update me. Around 1pm, I still didn't get a phone call, so I called the service department again. She said that they would have to order the part from Japan, which would take about a month. The fact that I had to consistently call them when they were supposed to call me to let me know what's going on is ridiculous. Now they tell me that it's going to take a month to get the part in.. I talked to another dealership that we didn't get the car from and they helped me more. At least they explained to me that if we were going through warranty, that it could take up to a month. Wilkie Lexus is supposedly one of the best service dealers, but I don't see that right now. I had relatives purchase vehicles from there and this is unacceptable. I'm going to call tomorrow to talk to the service manager. The other dealership suggests that if the manager can't speed things up then to call up Lexus Corporate. They might be able to give the whole assembly which is in stock stateside, whereas the actuator has to be shipped from Japan. Taping it up for now does work, but I still see it as a safety concern as you can't see the other lane properly without turning your whole body on the highway. I do check the mirror and turn to look but it's just frustrating that you can't see behind you using that mirror while driving sometimes.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-10-12, 04:06 PM
rcracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same thing happened to my driver side mirror. There's a C-clip that holds the spring in. Over time it wears out. I havent gotten a chance to take it back to the dealership yet. I just have a double stick tape in between the mirror and the base as a temp fix for now.
Old 07-10-12, 04:18 PM
RayLHN75
Driver School Candidate

I've been folding the mirrors in on a 2005 Toyota Sienna since we got it in 2005 and it still works fine. This is a 2009 IS 250 and I did not expect this to happen at all. Very disappointed.. I'm using 3M painter's tape that I change every 3 days or so. People give me looks when I'm at stop signs. Especially when I didn't have it taped and it flings forward when people are walking by.
Old 07-10-12, 04:23 PM
rcracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I don't even fold the passenger side no more in fear of the same thing happening. Maybe there's a TSIB about it for 2009's. I only have 22000 miles on the car and I rarely fold it. Definitely sucks but I think Lexus will make it right.
Old 07-12-12, 03:10 PM
RayLHN75
Driver School Candidate

::Update::

So I called the dealership yesterday and Tom, the supervisor/manager said that he contacted Corporate Lexus already. They agreed to replace the actuator and housing which was in stock stateside. Took it in today to have it changed. Everything is working properly now.
Kudos to Tom at Wilkie Lexus.
Old 07-12-12, 04:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah that sounds great.

If they did not have have it available, they would have to get it from Japan which could take about a month if not faster if they could. One reason is that the whole mirror assembly is factory painted in Japan, therefore they do not come unpainted.

I know this because my mom's 99 Camry, she her mirror mirror and housing assembly had cracked because someone in the spot next to her decides to open the door in a parking spot when my mom was backing already backing out of the spot.. It was that person's fault... Got the insurance claim and stuff and they said they had to get it from Japan as there were no mirror assemblies available for her car in Canada. Surprising, they were able to get a new one with two - three weeks which was good. The old mirror was being held on with tape for the meantime.
Old 10-22-12, 08:35 AM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Bobble head side mirrors

I've just joined the bobble head side mirror assembly club. While leaving work, the driver side one started flopping around.

I disassembled both the driver and passenger side. The assembly sits on a post with a spring. There is a part which is supposed to compress the spring. This creates friction and holds the mirror in place when you fold it. I could see the spring on the driver side, and I could not see it on the passenger side.

Of course, my passenger side mirror assembly started flopping around spontaneously the next day! There is a part rattling around in it, and I assume it's the spring tension clip.

I think I found the mirror assembly, and it's ~$297 on Sewell's part site. I have a few hundred miles of warranty left, so I think that I will have to head to the dealer soon.

Anyone with the same problem have their mirror(s) fixed?
Old 10-22-12, 08:58 AM
configt
Rookie

Yep, I also have a 2009 and this exact same issue happened to the passenger side @ about 500 miles just outside of warranty. It is somewhat of a known issue, as my service adviser was not surprised to see it. The actuator inside the assembly is what breaks over time, and it might be more common in hotter climates. The stealership wanted to charge me ~$450 to get it repaired, but I was pissed that it happened right as my warranty expired. I called the 1-800 lexus customer service number and explained the situation and that it first occurred while getting on the onramp to the highway and that I felt it was a dangerous situation. About a week later they called and said they would cover it as a one time courtesy. All fixed now!.
Old 10-22-12, 12:58 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by configt
Yep, I also have a 2009 and this exact same issue happened to the passenger side @ about 500 miles just outside of warranty. It is somewhat of a known issue, as my service adviser was not surprised to see it. The actuator inside the assembly is what breaks over time, and it might be more common in hotter climates. The stealership wanted to charge me ~$450 to get it repaired, but I was pissed that it happened right as my warranty expired. I called the 1-800 lexus customer service number and explained the situation and that it first occurred while getting on the onramp to the highway and that I felt it was a dangerous situation. About a week later they called and said they would cover it as a one time courtesy. All fixed now!.
Glad to see they took care of you. Haven't really heard about this being an issue, never had an issue with mine, but seems like it may be affecting a small number of owners?
Old 10-22-12, 01:06 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

happened to me and they replaced both of mine( my fault lol) at no cost!
Old 12-27-12, 11:33 AM
UFCoffey
Driver School Candidate

Default Driver Side Mirror

Any update on this? I have the same thing happening to me and I have looked at the housing structure and it seems there is a nut in the assembly which may have came loose, however I'm fearful of breaking the side view mirror in an effort to fix.
Old 02-15-13, 01:16 PM
drmcstford
Driver School Candidate

Don't mean to revive an old thread but can any point me to the part that fixes this? While driving My 2009 Lexus Is250 the driver side mirror started moving I'm going to check if my car is still under warranty, rcracer mentioned its just a c-clip that you need to fix it?? Thanks in advanced guys!

Quick Reply: 2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)