IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 07-23-20, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: DaveGS4
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 01:34 PM
zackteee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
Are you taking about the mirror glass or the entire mirror housing? If the entire mirror housing, there is something that broke internally that will need to be replaced. If the mirror glass, it simply popped out of place.
Yeah it's the whole mirror housing. I was driving down the hwy at like 90mph and it just swung forward and now it just goes back n forth every time I speed up or quickly stop
Old 07-29-13, 05:48 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Yep, something then the spring-loaded stem leading from the mirror housing through the door has broken. There are several threads on this topic; not sure if a DIY fix thread has been created though.

GL!
Old 07-30-13, 06:29 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zackteee
Yeah it's the whole mirror housing. I was driving down the hwy at like 90mph and it just swung forward and now it just goes back n forth every time I speed up or quickly stop
the same happened to me before, it was replaced under warranty. It's common to happen on the IS, sort of like a defect. The spring inside the mirror housing breaks easy, I guess because of rust or weather related issues.
Old 07-30-13, 01:01 PM
zackteee
Driver

Thanks everyone! So you think the best thing I should do is just go up to the lexus dealership and tell them about it and see what they can do
Old 07-30-13, 01:06 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Because you have a '09, you just might be able to convince the dealership to repair it for you under warranty.

GL!
Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM
zackteee
Driver

Alright guys, well I talked to park place lexus and they told me what I need is called an actuator. I've never heard of it before but they told me that it was gonna be $500 something and that's including installation.. The piece itself is around $300 something. Does anyone know where I could find one for a little cheaper instead of buying it straight from the dealer?
Old 09-10-13, 12:21 AM
radiocheck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post was very useful. I ended up buying a hose clamp 5/16 and it worked great. This video
also was very helpful because it showed how to pop off the mirror and showed where the clamp needed to be placed. In the video, the person hammers down on the "clamp" that popped up. I was not able to hammer down into place, so instead, i pushed down with my thumb as hard as I could on the spring and placed the hose clamp on top and used a power drill to screw it tightly. All for about $0.93 at home depot.

Originally Posted by lhlawaty
You have to replace the whole assembly. My passenger side one just broke on my 09 is250 as well 3 days after buying it from a VW dealer (It was a used lexus but still only 30k miles!!! so no reason this should happen).

Lexus wanted like $250 for the part. What I ended up doing that fixed it was I went to home depot and bought a small hose clamp and tightened it above the spring and washer around the piece of metal inside. It's held up for a few weeks now and still works just as good as factory.

How I did it was I installed the host clamp so it was snug but not tight. Then I pushed down on the hose clamp and spring and had my wife tighten the screw enough where when I let go of the spring it wasn't going to jump back up. Then I just tightened a bit more for added insurance and it works great.

I know it's kind of a ghetto fix but it's only $.50 and no one will ever know since it's inside your mirror assembly. Save yourself over $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Bran...0974412&sr=1-5

That is the kind of clip I used if you want a picture so you can find it easier at HD.

EDIT: Also, it's not a c clip. There's a piece of metal that sticks straight up that your mirror sits on, this metal has a lip all the way around it which the spring and a washer go over. The inside of the washer is kind of flared so once you push it over this metal "lip" it won't come back off. Unfortunately these metal lips inside keep breaking off so you have to replace the whole piece that comes out of your door, Lexus sells them pre painted for $250 (At least that's what I was quote by my local lexus here in Sacramento).
Old 11-26-13, 10:14 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zackteee
Alright guys, well I talked to park place lexus and they told me what I need is called an actuator. I've never heard of it before but they told me that it was gonna be $500 something and that's including installation.. The piece itself is around $300 something. Does anyone know where I could find one for a little cheaper instead of buying it straight from the dealer?
Did you get this fixed? I had the same issue last night. I did some research and decided to try the fix myself. I took the assembly part and was able to push the lock washer back down against the spring. It worked and only took me an hour to fix it.
Old 12-01-13, 09:42 PM
737NG
Driver

Originally Posted by supafreeza
Did you get this fixed? I had the same issue last night. I did some research and decided to try the fix myself. I took the assembly part and was able to push the lock washer back down against the spring. It worked and only took me an hour to fix it.
What he said, Its a real easy fix. There is a lock washer you have push back down on to the shaft and spring. I went as far as drilling a a small hole right above the washer and through the shaft and installed a cotter key, this will prevent it from popping off again. Just be careful if you decide to drill as the wiring passes through the center of the shaft. Search, Lexus Is loose mirror on you tube and you will find a DIY.
Old 01-22-14, 03:51 PM
cain127
Driver School Candidate

I actually followed the video today and was able to push the clamp back down. However, it seems that the spring is too tight now and it's hard to fold the mirror. I may have pushed the clamp down too far? I just decided never to fold the mirrors again because the spring may pop the clamp out again (I very rarely do anyway).

Also, as the clamp went down the post, it created ridges which I'm hoping is ok and would actually help keep the clamp down.
Old 07-29-14, 08:16 PM
socplay50
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone find the DIY thread on this issue? do i take the door panel of? or can i fix this by taking the mirror off?
Old 07-30-14, 03:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 233 Posts

There is a DIY on youtube, see
Old 07-30-14, 08:58 AM
skinnie
Rookie

Mine did the exact same thing but on the passenger side.

I followed the video on youtube and havent had a problem since.
Old 10-04-14, 11:12 AM
sleeper24
Driver School Candidate

For those who have a CPO IS250/350, just take into your local Lexus dealer and they will order a new actuator and repair free of charge as it is covered under the CPO warranty. This happen to me yesterday when I was drying my car after a hand wash. I decided to flip the mirror back to dry the water out in that area and it pop loose. I called my local Lexus and the service manager was able to squeeze me in today on a Saturday. The tech confirm it and the order was place. IMO, why fix it when you can have the dealer replace it with a new one if warranty is still available.
Old 10-04-14, 12:52 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had them replace both sides under CPO warranty as well. The passenger side did a loud pop while on the highway and scared the hell out of me.

Quick Reply: 2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)