IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 07-23-20, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: DaveGS4
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 07:28 AM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bichon,

thank you for finding & posting this link, which is extremely helpful! Thankfully this hasn't happened on my car yet, but if it does, now I know what to do in order to fix it myself.
Old 10-27-14, 05:13 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bump - was anyone able to figure out a permanent solution?

my 09 is out of warranty and this is the second time i'm having this issue. The first time i fixed it with a 5/16 hose clamp, but its popped out once again (my mirror is folded in all week since the car stays inside a tight garage spot and doesn't move). I'm going to try the hose clamp method again, but wanted to do something extra so that it is a permanent solution. Suggestions?
Old 10-30-14, 08:36 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bump - just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. Going to try to fix it for the 3rd time this weekend, hopefully permanently.

Lexus corporate has been no help. I asked what they want me to do? drive around with a mirror that flaps around? and they were just like, "uh... i guess." Meanwhile my 10+ year old Sienna's mirrors are perfectly fine.
Old 11-04-14, 12:57 PM
radiocheck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
bump - was anyone able to figure out a permanent solution?

my 09 is out of warranty and this is the second time i'm having this issue. The first time i fixed it with a 5/16 hose clamp, but its popped out once again (my mirror is folded in all week since the car stays inside a tight garage spot and doesn't move). I'm going to try the hose clamp method again, but wanted to do something extra so that it is a permanent solution. Suggestions?

I have an 09 as well and have had to re-clamp it once. I haven't had any trouble the second time and was able to tighten that sucker, which hopefully won't come undone again. For me it's a great and super inexpensive solution. You just need the right tools to do it and perhaps someone to help you.
Old 04-16-15, 05:36 PM
Knarf916
Rookie

Sorry to bump an old thread but my passenger side mirror is loose. I can pop it back in, but when I adjust it to far, it pops loose and I'd have to pop it back in... Not sure if it's broken or just like that. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-15, 10:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Knarf916
Sorry to bump an old thread but my passenger side mirror is loose. I can pop it back in, but when I adjust it to far, it pops loose and I'd have to pop it back in... Not sure if it's broken or just like that. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you mean that the entire mirror assembly is loose like the earlier posts in this thread describe, there is a video on youtube that shows how to fix it.

Old 04-24-15, 01:04 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen to me last month. Followed the video and it only worked for about couple days before the entire mirror housing would flop forward. EMBARRASSING to say the least. Dealer wanted $400 to fix this. I'm thinking this car only has 68k and mirrors are breaking & flopping around. Lexus is killing me. I've never had a car do this. So fed up as well as my wife I decided to get some 3m double sided tape. I lifted the mirror, washed the area good with warm soapy water and light alcohol. Cut the 3m to size and pressed down for a good 30 seconds. A month later after some rains, couple car washes and freeway driving it's holding up well. 30k car & flopping mirrors....you got to be kidding me.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)-img_20150423_100044_415.jpg   2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)-img_20150423_100054_361.jpg  
Old 04-30-15, 09:01 AM
radiocheck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Had this happen to me last month. Followed the video and it only worked for about couple days before the entire mirror housing would flop forward. EMBARRASSING to say the least. Dealer wanted $400 to fix this. I'm thinking this car only has 68k and mirrors are breaking & flopping around. Lexus is killing me. I've never had a car do this. So fed up as well as my wife I decided to get some 3m double sided tape. I lifted the mirror, washed the area good with warm soapy water and light alcohol. Cut the 3m to size and pressed down for a good 30 seconds. A month later after some rains, couple car washes and freeway driving it's holding up well. 30k car & flopping mirrors....you got to be kidding me.
A simple and effective solution is buying a hose clamp (I think I bought the 1/2 inch size). You can also get them at the 99 cent store and they come in different sizes). I've had it pop off a few times after I cranked it down, but it still works effectively for a long period. Well worth the time (15 minutes) to re-clamp it back down. Press down HARD so the clamp grips the mirror and use a power drill to tighten the hose clamp.
Old 04-30-15, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Odd you all are having this issue. I had someone come VERY close to side-swiping me at 30 mph and only hit my side mirror housing. Cracked the casing, folded in the mirror housing...BUT, the thing popped right back out and the mechanism is still functioning properly.
Old 06-19-15, 05:20 PM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Broken Passenger side Mirror, how to fix??

UPDATED UPDATED UPDATED

Mirror has been fixed and to anyone else that has this problem, below is the link that I found to fix the mirror.
Hope this link will help someone else that has a similar problem. Don't want people to wonder for a long time on how to fix a swinging mirror when there's an easy fix.

"Repair Loose/Broken Lexus Side Mirror Housing"

Tools Needed:
Monkey wrench
2 or 3 step stool, or something that will get you above the mirror
Phillips screwdriver
A rag to place on top of the wrench for comfort.
Silicone spray OR WD-40 would work too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today my wife just noticed the mirror all of sudden swaying back and fourth in the wind while driving.

The car has been in the garage since getting back from my mechanic 2 days ago and the mirror was fine,, but now is broke.
I'm not sure if it was one of the 2 mechanic that we brought the car too or what.

The mirror sways very easy forward and back and I can lift up the mirror off of the post, except the wire holds in place.

We've had a string of bad luck with mechanics this month and my question is, is this mirror hard to replace or can I replace it myself?

Passenger side mirror
2009 Lexus IS-250

Last edited by FishinAJ; 06-22-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 09:34 PM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

Bump-bump-
Old 06-22-15, 10:53 AM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

UPDATED UPDATED UPDATED

Mirror has been fixed and to anyone else that has this problem, below is the link that I found to fix the mirror.
Hope this link will help someone else that has a similar problem. Don't want people to wonder for a long time on how to fix a swinging mirror when there's an easy fix.

"Repair Loose/Broken Lexus Side Mirror Housing"

Tools Needed:
Monkey wrench
2 or 3 step stool, or something that will get you above the mirror
Phillips screwdriver
A rag to place on top of the wrench for comfort.
Silicone spray OR WD-40 would work too.
Old 08-03-15, 05:09 PM
RG3toDC
Rookie

any fixes?
Old 11-08-15, 11:09 AM
mmn32506
Driver School Candidate

Default Worked for me!

Just fixed mine today! My friend followed the youtube video on how to fix the mirror. Took all of maybe 20 minutes! Works for now. I bought my 2009 used back in August and this happened to my mirror a couple of weeks ago, out of nowhere! Does anyone know if there's a recall or anything by Lexus to resolve the problem? I can't imagine having to buy the entire assembly for this! I'm a former Navy aircraft mechanic, and this makes no sense to me!

Cheers!
Old 12-29-15, 02:21 PM
JediK
Driver School Candidate

Question Need Help: Loose Driver's Side Mirror (IS 250)

I'm sure there's probably already a thread on this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

My driver's side mirror is loose, as the compression nut won't stay down. I watched the YouTube video, but unfortunately I'll need to obtain a new mirror housing completely as the connecting parts are worn. The dealer wants to charge up to $650 for this seemingly simple repair, and I can buy a new housing for $160 online.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a service manual for the 2009 IS 250?

Quick Reply: 2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)