IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

car approaching 50k miles (basic warranty coverage ends) what to check before that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 08:59 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default car approaching 50k miles (basic warranty coverage ends) what to check before that?

car's running fine except for some intermittent squeaks and rattles. my service adviser told me to bring my car in before it hits 50k miles to do a thorough check up prior to the basic warranty expires. any specific area i need them to check?
Old 04-24-13, 10:06 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like he/she wants you to bring in the car to inspect some things and make money off you.

Unless your having any problems, I wouldnt bother. You shouldnt have to do anything at 50K other than an oil change (if you need it) or change your cabin/intake air filters (depending on how long ago you did it).

If you do decide to go, have them check your water pump. I know that ours are prone to die out around the 60k mile mark, so have them check that since it is covered under warranty
Old 04-24-13, 10:22 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

i think it was nice of him to remind me of this. since whatever problem they find should still be covered under basic warranty. since my car is a certified pre-owned, the powertrain warranty does not expire until 100k or couple more years. does the water pump fall in the powertrain or basic warranty?
Old 04-24-13, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

powertrain, it is a component of the engine
Old 04-24-13, 10:30 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I would consider gettng the Lexus extended warranty before your basic warranty expires....

Last edited by kickin8; 04-24-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 10:34 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I would consider gettng the Lexus extended warranty before your basic waeeanty expires....
Can you do that. Any idea about prices? Mine has 34k currently and since it's 2010 I assume it's still under basic warranty
Old 04-24-13, 10:41 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Can you do that. Any idea about prices? Mine has 34k currently and since it's 2010 I assume it's still under basic warranty
Yes you can, as long as you buy it before your 4 year / 50k mile warranty is up
Old 04-24-13, 10:57 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
do a search on extended warranty....you should see a long list for that.....
Old 04-24-13, 11:43 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. I would never buy an extended warranty, especially for a luxury car.

The odds that you get your money's worth out of an extended warranty from Lexus are very small. And these cars are pretty reliable overall, too.
Old 04-24-13, 11:43 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than the recommended maintenance (not the service) I would also suggest you get the water pump looked at. If nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with it, I would look at the pricing for a lexus extended warranty vs. how much it would cost you to pay for that service repair out of pocket. I am more of a "safer than sorry" kinda guy.
Old 04-24-13, 11:56 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I disagree. I would never buy an extended warranty, especially for a luxury car.

The odds that you get your money's worth out of an extended warranty from Lexus are very small. And these cars are pretty reliable overall, too.
same here, i'm not about to put out $2k for a car i'm going to keep for no more than 3-4 years. knock on wood, if something major does happen then so be it. but my certified pre-own powertrain warranty should last me until 100k miles or two more calendar years from this month.
Old 04-24-13, 12:13 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
same here, i'm not about to put out $2k for a car i'm going to keep for no more than 3-4 years. knock on wood, if something major does happen then so be it. but my certified pre-own powertrain warranty should last me until 100k miles or two more calendar years from this month.
I wouldn't be so sure, my NAV Screen stopped working at 52K miles, called the service advisor and brought the car in for repair, after a brief inspection he said they needed a few days to get the repair done (part was not onsite), he also told me getting the extended warranty (I paid around $1,700) was the smart move back then since this repair alone would have cost more than what I paid. Plus it was nice getting a new CT as a loaner for a week (Very nice car BTW)... I recommend getting the extended warranty if you are keeping your car for more than the 4 yr period.
Old 04-24-13, 12:36 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Default CL Pulp Fiction

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
Imma show you some stuff:

Warranty Coverage
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." Starting on your date of purchase, it offers the same coverage and privileges new-car buyers receive. To see what is and isn't covered, view the list below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.

Under Warranty
This warranty also provides a complimentary loaner car, Roadside Assistance[1] and Trip Interruption Service coverage as described in the Stellar Coverage.

It is valid for three years or 100,000 total vehicle miles from your date of purchase, whichever comes first.

No deductible. Repairs made under this warranty will be at no cost to you.

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."

Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty

Now this is how the conversation is going to go:

UniSlayEX: We ain't got no problem, stlgrym3, I'm on this. Go back in there and chill out and wait for The CPO, which should be coming directly.
stlgrym3: (stlgrym3 pauses and becomes calm) You sending The CPO?
UniSlayEX: Oh, you feel better, stlgrym3
stlgrym3: [laughing] Shoot, UniSlayEX, that's all you had to say!
Old 04-24-13, 12:39 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Yes you can, as long as you buy it before your 4 year / 50k mile warranty is up
Thanks just find the prices as well.

Originally Posted by 516IS
I wouldn't be so sure, my NAV Screen stopped working at 52K miles, called the service advisor and brought the car in for repair, after a brief inspection he said they needed a few days to get the repair done (part was not onsite), he also told me getting the extended warranty (I paid around $1,700) was the smart move back then since this repair alone would have cost more than what I paid. Plus it was nice getting a new CT as a loaner for a week (Very nice car BTW)... I recommend getting the extended warranty if you are keeping your car for more than the 4 yr period.
Yes I think I'll consider that as well. Just the navi alone would pay over and above. Mine has 34k now but the prices are not that bad considering the platinum cover almost everything as I saw
Old 04-24-13, 01:57 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
Imma show you some stuff:

Now this is how the conversation is going to go:

UniSlayEX: We ain't got no problem, stlgrym3, I'm on this. Go back in there and chill out and wait for The CPO, which should be coming directly.
stlgrym3: (stlgrym3 pauses and becomes calm) You sending The CPO?
UniSlayEX: Oh, you feel better, stlgrym3
stlgrym3: [laughing] Shoot, UniSlayEX, that's all you had to say!
i guess my IS is the dead N**** in the garage then

Quick Reply: car approaching 50k miles (basic warranty coverage ends) what to check before that?