IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

While Lexus Dealer Cleaning my engine and performing Piston TSIB - They want to sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 02:05 PM
westkoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While Lexus Dealer Cleaning my engine and performing Piston TSIB - They want to sell

I drive 2006 IS250. It has about 75,000 miles in it

Long story short, my car had engine problems. Took it to Lexus dealer for inspection (out of warranty) and they realized that I had problem with my engine. They said they need to clean/rebuild the engine and it will be covered under extended engine warranty. I was very happy.

Now that I am getting my car serviced (They said the work is going to take about a week), the service advisor is trying to sell me services while my engine is getting fixed. He showed me a sheet with all the services listed and see if I wanted to get it done. My question is about Transmission Service - torque converter draining and if I made the right choices of which services I chose to get done. Please let me know your input. Thank you.

These are the services listed on the sheet of paper he showed me:

- Spark Plugs
- Transmission service - torque converter draining
- Throttle body cleaning
- Engine Air Filter
- Thermostat
- Drive Belt
- Hoses
- Water Pump
- Differential Service

- Spark Plugs ( They are not going to charge me for the labor. I purchased the product from Sewell parts for 1/3 of price they gave me) Free labor + spent about $75 in Sewell.

- Transmission service - torque converter draining (Service Advisor told me since they need to take the whole engine and tranny out, they will perform full draining/refill trannsmission for $180)
I think this is worth it. My question is should I get this service done or should I not even bother getting tranny fluid changed since our cars are lifetime tranny fluid? But I do hear that people changing tranny fluid in our cars after 80,000 miles.

- Throttle body cleaning ( After little research, this is the simplest thing you can do it your self. He tried to charge me about $150 for this service. I said no)

- Engine Air filter (He said parts only for $32 so I am getting this done)
- Thermostat (WTF? I said no)
- Drive Belt ( He said $80 for parts with no labor. Going to match price with local dealer I just called for $53.23)
- Hoses ( Hmmm. No)
- Water Pump (He quoted me $250 for this service. I said no)
- Differential Services ( WTF??? No)

How did I do?
Old 04-29-13, 02:13 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you're spot on! I am hearing a lot of water pumps going out at MANY different mileages so I'm not sure bout that one. You could change the air filter yourself but overall you're good!
Old 04-29-13, 02:21 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

The only thing I might recommend changing would be the water pump. I would highly recommend doing it know and get it over with at a cheaper cost than later down the road.
Old 04-29-13, 03:26 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I had them change my water pump for $278 while they were changing the pistons.
Old 04-29-13, 03:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you change the plugs at 60K?
Old 04-29-13, 03:40 PM
westkoast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I think you're spot on! I am hearing a lot of water pumps going out at MANY different mileages so I'm not sure bout that one. You could change the air filter yourself but overall you're good!
Thanks! So I should definately perform transmission fluid serivce?
Old 04-29-13, 03:41 PM
westkoast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
I had them change my water pump for $278 while they were changing the pistons.
Damn...You guys think I should change the water pump also?! how many mileage did you have on your car when you changed water pump?
Old 04-29-13, 03:42 PM
westkoast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
Did you change the plugs at 60K?
No I have not.

BTW...how do you reply to multiple post in one thread? haha.
Old 04-29-13, 04:00 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by westkoast
No I have not.

I've heard the transmission flush is B.S. Since as you said it's sealed and they can't remove all the fluid.

To respond to multiple posts just click on the " in the lower right corner of each post you wanna quote then go to reply and it will copy all of them for you and you can answer them.
Old 04-29-13, 04:38 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Damn...You guys think I should change the water pump also?! how many mileage did you have on your car when you changed water pump?
Well, mine went at 27k.
Old 04-29-13, 04:40 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No I have not.

You should get the plugs replaced....

If you want "multi quote" just click the "Quotation" icon next to Quote.....
Old 04-29-13, 07:20 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have done everything except the throttle body cleaning since its simple to DIY. but for them to ONLY charge you parts and NO labor because the engine is literally dismantled in the process is amazing. Thats just my opinion though. Engine is thoroughly dismanted. all hoses come off, belt comes off, water pump everything comes off, why not pay a little bit and put brand new parts on?
Old 04-29-13, 07:24 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I've heard the transmission flush is B.S. Since as you said it's sealed and they can't remove all the fluid.

To respond to multiple posts just click on the " in the lower right corner of each post you wanna quote then go to reply and it will copy all of them for you and you can answer them.
I think its only BS if the engine stays in the car... but since they're taking the engine out it probably isnt much harder to remove the torque converter like the OP said and dump the fluid out.
Old 04-29-13, 07:28 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the throttle body clean for no charge when my pistons were getting done.....after all it is a CARBON BUILD-UP TSB.....whats all in the intake manifold and throttle body... the same **** that they are attempting to correct, as a design defect in the engine.....I had to repeat myself over and over until they did it for no charge. Sometimes they just need a little push!
Old 04-29-13, 07:42 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total is $750 bucks. Considering what you are getting for free I would do everything. If everything is reassembled and needs attention later you will kick yourself in the backside.

Quick Reply: While Lexus Dealer Cleaning my engine and performing Piston TSIB - They want to sell