IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ticking sound after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 09:45 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ticking sound after brake job

I got all 4 new rotors and pads and did the brake job myself. Ended up replacing the rear driver side caliper as the pin was seized. At first i heard the dust shield rubbing so i bent it to where it does not scrape anymore.

its been making this ticking sound, and its really hard to explain. its not a distinct clicking sound but you can hear it while driving. Its not motor related as there is no sound unless that car is moving. the noise rate increases with the speed. While moving i put the car in the neutral and gave it gas, the noise is consistent with speed. i cant figure out what it is. It almost sounds like if you hold a wooden stick to a bicycle wheel while its spinning but not that loud.

i have Adams rotors dimpled/double slot with posi quiet ceramic pads.

The only thing i can think of is i installed the rotors wrong to where the blades inside the rotors are not spinning the right way ?

Thank you for all your help.
Old 05-02-13, 11:46 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

theres lots of possibilities when it comes to brakes. best bet is to single out witch wheel(s) are making the noise and take them apart and just inspect it. 9 times out of 10 its something small, like a piece of debris stuck on something or a pad you forgot to grease the back of. good luck with ur problem, if it comes down to it just take it to a tire shop and ask for a brake inspection, most places inspect for free.
Old 05-02-13, 12:36 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I can't single it out because I only hear it while. driving . On a bridge or something where the sound can reflect its very prominent. I'll redo the brakes this weekend. Just take them apart and reinstall.i think it's my front two tires but then again I hear it because I always driving . I need to do a process of elimination but how.
Old 05-02-13, 01:07 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

It wouldn't be due to the direction of the veins of the rotors, but if that is incorrect you should fix it though.

Did you bed-in the pads after the install correctly?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 05-02-13, 01:11 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Yes I did bed them, even though the pads stated bedding not required
Old 07-18-13, 12:29 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

as posted/disclosed in our FAQ's:

"do machined rotors create sound?"

keyword can...but it's just the dimpling/drilling. there is no reason the sound should be anything but mild...pleasant even. each application varies as rotor diameter/surface area changes, caliper size & pad contact differs, as do the compounds used in each brake pad. a bad bed, cheap pads, or an improper caliper/pad seating after install could cause something loud. drilling and more so dimpling is the culprit for anything other than a silent experience. air being trapped within the rotor's machining and two pad surfaces creates this, but again is nominal. slotting is the ideal for performance and the faint of ear, so if you are concerned, opt for any of our 4 slotted only patterns. the bedding process which should be completed immediately after install can drastically effect stopping power and the amount of sound; it's also an important part of prepping your new rotors. high speed tap braking and full 0-30 pulls to slam to stop, is key...(see break-in info above)
Old 10-24-18, 12:43 PM
tr0y
Driver School Candidate

Default Did u figure this out?? I am having same “annoying as ****!” Issue let me know please

Originally Posted by Offspring
I can't single it out because I only hear it while. driving . On a bridge or something where the sound can reflect its very prominent. I'll redo the brakes this weekend. Just take them apart and reinstall.i think it's my front two tires but then again I hear it because I always driving . I need to do a process of elimination but how.
ya I’m having same issue on my 2010 is250. Wondering if lack of grease might be my issue 🤔🤔🤔