IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"S" Mode and Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 01:21 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1, i was pretty disappointed in the IS's paddle shifters and should have done more homework before purchasing it. In my prior car, the S model also rev matched so i took it for granted that the same would be for the IS. Was bummed to find out thats not the case
Old 05-17-13, 01:56 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
+1, i was pretty disappointed in the IS's paddle shifters and should have done more homework before purchasing it. In my prior car, the S model also rev matched so i took it for granted that the same would be for the IS. Was bummed to find out thats not the case
Ya me too.

But I was happy to see that if you cruise control while your car is on D, going down the hill your car will automatically downshift to assist in the engine braking. Actually I think it even did it while I was gradually stepping on the brakes.

Is there any way that we can override this "paddle shifter" from a limiter to an actual gear changer? Has anyone even tried?
Old 05-17-13, 02:30 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this is getting a little out of hand haha. First of all, putting the car in sport mode AND using the shifters at the same time is pointless as all the sport button does is hold gears longer for you and if you give the car the command to shift with the paddles/shifter it will shift up/down regardless of the sport button. Therefore use EITHER sport mode, or shifters. Second, the ISF is the only IS with TRUE paddle shifting. Yes if you get good with the isx50's you can almost get it to shift when you want, but don't mistake that for instant shifting. Also the ISF is the only one that automatically rev matches when downshifting. Finally when it comes to WOT, the car will shift at a lower rev point when in sport mode, same goes for paddle shifters. Leaving the car in plain old automatic will give you the fastest times at WOT as the tranny shifts at a higher redline. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-13, 05:44 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
Ok, this is getting a little out of hand haha. First of all, putting the car in sport mode AND using the shifters at the same time is pointless as all the sport button does is hold gears longer for you and if you give the car the command to shift with the paddles/shifter it will shift up/down regardless of the sport button. Therefore use EITHER sport mode, or shifters. Second, the ISF is the only IS with TRUE paddle shifting. Yes if you get good with the isx50's you can almost get it to shift when you want, but don't mistake that for instant shifting. Also the ISF is the only one that automatically rev matches when downshifting. Finally when it comes to WOT, the car will shift at a lower rev point when in sport mode, same goes for paddle shifters. Leaving the car in plain old automatic will give you the fastest times at WOT as the tranny shifts at a higher redline. Hope this helps.
I learned after the fact that only ISF has the normal shifter and not those fake ones the regular IS has. My point is the S mode (I doubt it stands for Sport) is useless as I feel no difference in riding when switching from D to S. How did you figure it holds the gear longer? The manual mention nothing about it. I might mistaken but since I didn;t noticed any difference I was kinda curious and I find no data that S mode is a Sport mode or holds the gear longer. I think should be U (useless) mode or FM(fake marketing).
I do however love the Pwr mode and that to me is a Sport mode.
I still cannot believe Lexus got away with this crap since this is a general rule (pedal shifters, +/-) in automotive industy everyone expect those to stand for manual mode. Even the dealers market it as such not just Lexus on their website.
And talk about fake marketing "The IS design was inspired by the world of competitive racing, and proof is just an
arm’s length away. It comes with a six-speed paddle-shift-sequential automatic
transmission that benefits from steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Placed
right at your fingertips, they allow you to quickly upshift or downshift without taking
your hands off the wheel—a feature professional race car drivers appreciate."

P.s. and yes, you're right is getting a little out of hand I'm pissed. Lexus needs to fix this crap.
I wonder if GS models have the same handicap.

Last edited by keyframe13; 05-17-13 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-17-13, 05:54 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I learned after the fact that only ISF has the normal shifter and not those fake ones the regular IS has. My point is the S mode (I doubt it stands for Sport) is useless as I feel no difference in riding when switching from D to S. How did you figure it holds the gear longer? The manual mention nothing about it. I might mistaken but since I didn;t noticed any difference I was kinda curious and I find no data that S mode is a Sport mode or holds the gear longer. I think should be U (useless) mode or FM(fake marketing).
I do however love the Pwr mode and that to me is a Sport mode.
I still cannot believe Lexus got away with this crap since this is a general rule (pedal shifters, +/-) in automotive industy everyone expect those to stand for manual mode. Even the dealers market it as such not just Lexus on their website.

P.s. and yes, you're right is getting a little out of hand I'm pissed. Lexus needs to fix this crap.
I wonder if GS models have the same handicap.
The 4GS shifts are alot quicker than the 2IS. 4GS also revmatches