IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying back a totalled IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 01:26 PM
mboyenko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you were not hurt badly in the accident. If you end up buying back the car I would be interested in some of your interior items if you are parting it out. What color is the interior?
Old 05-16-13, 01:40 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you guys have your cars taken to tow yards anyway....when i had my car totaled i had it towed to my friends shop and the adjuster came to look at it there...i had access to it whenever i wanted to do whatever i want. You can have it towed to your driveway why the hell would you want to put it in a junkyard...
Old 05-16-13, 02:55 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mboyenko
Glad you were not hurt badly in the accident. If you end up buying back the car I would be interested in some of your interior items if you are parting it out. What color is the interior?
Where is your logic? IF he was going to buy the car back you think he would start parting it out, especially interior pieces?
Old 05-16-13, 03:16 PM
KINETICS
Driver

Originally Posted by MashinA
why do you guys have your cars taken to tow yards anyway....when i had my car totaled i had it towed to my friends shop and the adjuster came to look at it there...i had access to it whenever i wanted to do whatever i want. You can have it towed to your driveway why the hell would you want to put it in a junkyard...
Not all of us have friends who owns shops. And I live in a Condo so getting it towed to where I live will not be an option. This is also my very first accident, ever! So I was pretty naive on what to do.
Old 05-16-13, 05:44 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand but for future referance. Everyone has a friend with a backyard or a driveway they can use for a few days...
Old 05-16-13, 05:54 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get your Labtop and personal items back? Yeah from previous experience If I get into an accident in any modified car i'm having it towed to my house. Then when I remove my items i'll take it to the collision shop.

Surprised that the insurance co. took the car that quick? Did they take it from the tow yard to a collision shop? Or was it already sent to the insurance auction? They never move the car out of your reach until you settle on a total loss and they cut you a check. Even then they give you until the car is picked up to get anything out of the car you need and or can be replaced by factory parts.
Old 05-17-13, 02:18 AM
dk626
Driver School Candidate

where are you located in CA? if socal I could recommend a bodyshop to give you a better answer on buying back your car or not.
Old 05-17-13, 05:47 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TI II
Did you ever get your Labtop and personal items back? Yeah from previous experience If I get into an accident in any modified car i'm having it towed to my house. Then when I remove my items i'll take it to the collision shop.

Surprised that the insurance co. took the car that quick? Did they take it from the tow yard to a collision shop? Or was it already sent to the insurance auction? They never move the car out of your reach until you settle on a total loss and they cut you a check. Even then they give you until the car is picked up to get anything out of the car you need and or can be replaced by factory parts.
Some insurance companies work fast, in my case I got into an accident at 8:30AM on a Friday and they wanted to take the car from my parents house by 1P.M that same day. I had to force them to give me sat and sun so I could remove all the parts from my car. Take it that it took me two twelve hour days but I got it done.
Old 05-17-13, 10:14 AM
KINETICS
Driver

Originally Posted by TI II

The adjuster said that it was proclaimed a total loss and had it towed from the tow yard to their auction yard. He said I won't be able to have access to the car as it is now the property of the insurance company since I've agreed on a total loss settlement and paperwork has already been processed. I guess I'm just SOL on this one.
Old 05-17-13, 10:16 AM
KINETICS
Driver

Originally Posted by dk626
where are you located in CA? if socal I could recommend a bodyshop to give you a better answer on buying back your car or not.
I'm in the Bay Area, the tow yard is in Martinez, Ca.
Old 05-17-13, 10:17 AM
KINETICS
Driver

What's done is done, no point in sulking over it. I would like to thank all of you who responded with your insights and opinions on the matter. Now let's see if that 2014 IS350 or GS350 F-Sport is worth it...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 05-17-13, 10:37 AM
mboyenko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Where is your logic? IF he was going to buy the car back you think he would start parting it out, especially interior pieces?
This portion in the original post was my logic:

"It is not heavily modified but there are a few parts that I would like to keep. (Rims/Tires, Headlights, Intake, Exhaust, Tail lights, NavUnit, etc...) I'm still planning to get another IS maybe a 350 so keeping them and putting them into the new car would be financially helpful for me. "