IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying back a totalled IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 10:50 AM
KINETICS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying back a totalled IS250

The insurance company just totalled my 2008 IS250 with 80k miles and was wondering if it's worth buying it back from the insurance company? Has anybody done this before and know approximately how much it is?

It is not heavily modified but there are a few parts that I would like to keep. (Rims/Tires, Headlights, Intake, Exhaust, Tail lights, NavUnit, etc...) I'm still planning to get another IS maybe a 350 so keeping them and putting them into the new car would be financially helpful for me.

Will they (company that towed the car) let me get some things in there that are personal and some that doesn't belong to me? like my work laptop and a friend's iphone5?

Thank you for all your help.

p.s. I'm not at fault but my lawyer said I shouldn't discuss details about the accident with anyone, especially when the other party is claiming that they are not at fault.
Old 05-14-13, 11:13 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My question to you is why did you not remove all those parts before the insurance took the car. When my 250 6MT was in an accident back in Feb. I told the insurance that I would need two days two remove my "Personal belongings" I tookd that time to remove all my parts and returned the car to stock condition before the took it from me.

Also as for retriving your personal belogings the yard that has it should let you retrive it and if not speak to your claims adjuster. Keep in mind that some yards are shady and those items might have gotten "Lost" along the way.
Old 05-14-13, 11:14 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

If it total real bad I won't waste money buying it back. Use that money towards the 350. You can get your personal stuff no problem. You would have to ask the claim rep to see if you can take some stuff. There just paying you for the value of the car not on most add on like intake and exhaust,etc.
Old 05-14-13, 11:17 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by laobo979
If it total real bad I won't waste money buying it back. Use that money towards the 350. You can get your personal stuff no problem. You would have to as the claim rep to see if you can take some stuff. There just paint you for the value of the car no most add on like intake and exhaust,etc.
This is the reason why i removed all my parts before the insurace took my 250. I have a friend of mine that's an Adjuster for Progresive and he told me that the insurance will give you no where near what the value of the parts are. He gave me the example that if I had kept my wheels on my car the most the insurance would have given me is like $500.00 on 4 grand wheels.
Old 05-14-13, 11:29 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
This is the reason why i removed all my parts before the insurace took my 250. I have a friend of mine that's an Adjuster for Progresive and he told me that the insurance will give you no where near what the value of the parts are. He gave me the example that if I had kept my wheels on my car the most the insurance would have given me is like $500.00 on 4 grand wheels.
Rims and exhaust and all that other stuff mean nothing to insurance companies. They will just give you double the value of stock wheels/exhaust/what ever mod. Stock IS wheels can be bought for about 500 a set (depending on where you get it from). You have to at least keep the car a roller so you can have the car totaled with donuts if really necessary. Good luck finding 4 donuts tho
Old 05-14-13, 12:09 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not if another part was the cause of the collision that totaled the car and you have receipts.
Old 05-14-13, 01:04 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As much as I know insurance doesn't give a penny extra for aftermarket parts that were put on the car after it was bought. When my sister was involved in an accident they didn't even want to pay for the GFX front lip even though it was installed from dealer. As far as personal belongings I think they should be removed prior to the time when your car gets taken away.
Old 05-14-13, 01:52 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to get your belongings apap!!!! My sister had her stuff stolen out if her car by we think was the tow company!

Last edited by Sffd103; 05-14-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 03:08 PM
KINETICS
Driver

My question to you is why did you not remove all those parts before the insurance took the car. When my 250 6MT was in an accident back in Feb. I told the insurance that I would need two days two remove my "Personal belongings" I tookd that time to remove all my parts and returned the car to stock condition before the took it from me.

Also as for retriving your personal belogings the yard that has it should let you retrive it and if not speak to your claims adjuster. Keep in mind that some yards are shady and those items might have gotten "Lost" along the way.
The accident just happened Sunday evening. I was in the hospital until monday morning. I went straight to my lawyer after and I was instructed to go to the precinct and get a copy of the police report. By that time, the towing yard was already closed. And this morning, I came to see it and I was told that the insurance company has already taken it.

Would I still be able to take the parts off?

Thank you for all your input.
Old 05-14-13, 04:14 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Yes. Your insurance company does not own your personal belongings. Just call your insurance company to schedule a time to pick those up. You should be able to retrieve aftermarket parts as well. My understanding is that insurance comppany does not pay for those unless you had those insured by them specifically. Yes, it is doable to insure aftermarket parts but I have not seen anyone done it.

Usually ins company will do a market comparable research which is to find out how much dealers are selling a similar car and then they will adjust based on the differences on options. I doubt aftermarket parts are read into the pricing. After a combined result is reach, they should add taxes on top of it as well and then pay you the total. The idea is that you can use the money to buy a car like yours before the crash.

Read the report carefully and make sure they did not leave out anything. I crashed my 2006 350SGM in 2008 and found the report was missing adjustments for the sports package I had on the car. A 15 minute talk with the adjustor got me $4000 extra. I then bought 2007 350GFM in 2009.
Old 05-14-13, 05:00 PM
B16da9
Racer

If the car is at the tow yard then they will most likely not allow you to remove the parts yourself do to insurance reasons. What they will probably offer is to have one of their mechanics remove the parts charging you labor.
Old 05-14-13, 05:09 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

My last car was at the tow yard for a week, when it first got there I pulled off my roof spoiler jdm visors my system. A week later I bought my 2010 c ame back swapped out my OEM wheels and headlights off my new car
Old 05-14-13, 05:14 PM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
My last car was at the tow yard for a week, when it first got there I pulled off my roof spoiler jdm visors my system. A week later I bought my 2010 c ame back swapped out my OEM wheels and headlights off my new car

Wow geico would not let me do any of that once my old 250 was in their procession.
Old 05-14-13, 05:20 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow geico would not let me do any of that once my old 250 was in their procession.
thats funny bc I'm with Geico. I think it depends on your adjuster. Perhaps yours was a Dbag lol
Old 05-15-13, 11:33 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KINETICS
The accident just happened Sunday evening. I was in the hospital until monday morning. I went straight to my lawyer after and I was instructed to go to the precinct and get a copy of the police report. By that time, the towing yard was already closed. And this morning, I came to see it and I was told that the insurance company has already taken it.

Would I still be able to take the parts off?

Thank you for all your input.
Tow yards usually take all your personal belongings out of the car and place it in a box or boxes for you to retrieve after a certain amount of days. If its not in a box its still in the car for you to get yourself.
As for after market parts, you wont be able to take them off the car because your insurance company now owns the car, not you. They might give you a little extra money for the parts, but it will not be anywhere near what you paid for them. If your car is still on the tow yard they probably wont let you start unbolting parts because of safety/ tow yard insurance regulations

Quick Reply: Buying back a totalled IS250