IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking Like a DB

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 02:21 PM
halfnyce07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Like a DB

As a Lexus owner for now two years I have come to notice a pattern, the better looking you car gets the more people you attract. There are two kinds of people admirers and dingers. Dingers being the people with unfixed damage on their vehicles (Which usually means they are at fault and don't wanna pay their deductible) Anyway as I'm sure you all do, when I park in a parking lot I go OUT OF MY WAY to park away from people. Lately though I've been coming out of these places to find a dinger parked RIGHT next to me. DO they do it on purpose or is just a coincidence (I tend not to think so) So now I park like a DB, when I go to place I go to the far end of the parking lot and park across 2-3 spaces that NO ONE parks next to me. What sorts of DBness in parking have you been forced to do thanks to the dingers? Try to include photos!
Old 05-16-13, 02:24 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick with parking far away in one space than across 2-3 even if no ones around you. In one space, yes a dinger parks next to you but usually without any damage. Across 2-3, you're just asking for someone who's jealous to key your ride...
Old 05-16-13, 02:32 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
I would stick with parking far away in one space than across 2-3 even if no ones around you. In one space, yes a dinger parks next to you but usually without any damage. Across 2-3, you're just asking for someone who's jealous to key your ride...
I agree with pmanliu
Old 05-16-13, 02:34 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always park at the farthest most remote part of the lot, and always pick a spot next to a curb or the end spot, somewhere you can ride the side and guarantee at least one side won't be dinged. Once in a great while I'll take up two spots, but some people get pretty mad at that, usually only do that in huge parking lots that are pretty empty.
Old 05-16-13, 02:37 PM
SCD37
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, sorry man your asking for issues. Though I completely understand, I park far away even at work. The ladies there drive these hugh SUV's and have on serveral occassions hit a parked car while trying to park her TANK!
Old 05-16-13, 02:39 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, i wouldnt park like that lol. I park in the BFE just so i dont have that. Ill usually get the "dinger" as you say it, every once in a while. But usually the person who dings the car (in my case atleast) is a large person who cant control themseves getting out of the car or a child friendly vehicle. To answer you question though - I park as close to the line as possible (while remaining in the spot) and and leave a space between myself and a barrier, like a wall or planter or something. That way the only person that can park there is a Smart or Fiat 500 lol
Old 05-16-13, 02:45 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to park in a corner spot if I can. If not I try to find other well-kept cars to park next to.
Old 05-16-13, 07:00 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

From personal experience, no matter how hard you try to park away from people. People still park next to you when there are open spaces elsewhere... -_-
Old 05-16-13, 08:57 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Yah, stick with parking like a normal person and not like a DB. I get really pissed when I see people parking on more than one spot. You only attract trouble. Parking to a parking spot next to a curb is the best.
Old 05-16-13, 11:24 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It's just another car, you're just another person. Neither are particularly special to the rest of the population.

My point? People will park next to you, get used to it. Double/Triple parking is a good way to invite damage, not deter it.
Old 05-17-13, 01:14 AM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually try to look for parking spots opened between cars that are "nicer" than mine.
Old 05-17-13, 05:05 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I ALWAYS find a corner spot or park far away from other cars. I never take two spots tho, thats asking for trouble regardless of how far away you park
Old 05-21-13, 01:18 PM
eleminoh
Driver School Candidate

I agree that parking like that will most likely attract the unwanted attention that youre trying to avoid in the first place. Besides, somone could still park next to you, if the lines on the ground kept people from paring on or over them we wouldnt have an issue in the first place.
Old 05-21-13, 03:24 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i see what you're going after here... but sadly i think sooner rather than later this plan will backfire. people hate to see other people take up multiple spots for their car that they think is the *****. even if your car does look nice parking like that will take away any cool points and make some people (jealous ones) feel the need to mess with you by doing something to your car.
Old 05-21-13, 08:21 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a lazy bum and I look for the closest parking spot possible to the entrance or exit. Even in tight spots, I just squeeze in. Been doing this for 3 years ever since buying the IS and not a single ding or scrape. However, I do notice that my "car friends" who are paranoid about door dings and stuff end up getting them somehow even when they park far away.

Quick Reply: Parking Like a DB