IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

WOW glad I checked!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 12:49 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW glad I checked!

This guy in AZ is selling his 06 350 low miles saying clean clear title in hand. Went and looked at and drove.. seemed really nice with ML Nav what have you. Went on to NICB Vin check and BOOM indentified in the salvage records do to collision last July. Specifically asked about accidents too and said no.. and he was the owner at the time. People are so F'd. Almost exactly what I wanted also... These are so hard to find!
Old 05-30-13, 12:54 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to mention so people remember to not even think about not doing your homework.. craigslist almost got me!
Old 05-30-13, 01:03 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A collision doesn't necessarily mean salvaged title, my mom got in an accident on her Sienna and it isn't salvage. It's only salvage if the insurance company says so. Yes it is kind of bad that he denied the accident, but if the title doesn't say salvaged then it's not salvaged.
Old 05-30-13, 01:11 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

VIN: ___
has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records.

Date of loss: 2012-07-30
Cause of loss: Collision

If he bought for cash he could have orginal title and just hoping someone doesn't check. ^^ Does this not necessarily mean it was totaled?
Old 05-30-13, 01:20 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

If the car was totaled there was no way he could have bought it for cash, the insurance company would've taken it away and put it up for sale on the auction, after that there is no way to have a clean title, if the guy is the original owner and he got in an accident that means it wasn't big enough to salvage it. Therefore if he can show you the title and it's clean, then it's a clean title.
Old 05-30-13, 01:35 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

Can in "salvage records" mean just an accident without totalled? Just curious at this point...
Old 05-30-13, 01:46 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

I just checked a different vehicle that was also in a accident but clean title:

has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Total Loss Records.

I'm wondering if this guy somehow finagled something.. he said he had a friend at the dealer.. that recently went back to Serbia... Hmmmm.. Either way I'm staying far far away.
Old 05-30-13, 01:46 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Yes just like I said before it's only salvage title if it says so in the title itself otherwise it can just mean an accident. Yup that's probably your best bet, just stay away from him. Plus someone once told me that if the vehicle has a salvage title the dealer can somehow clear it and make it clean title, I personally don't know if that's true but maybe that's what happened.

Last edited by lysis250; 05-30-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-13, 05:02 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Post up the link to warn potential buyers!
Old 05-30-13, 05:11 PM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

Just some added info on the topic of salvage or total loss vehicles...so everyone knows, you can have your insurance deem a vehicle a total loss and it NOT BE REPORTED on Carfax or other such vehicle registries. Ask me how I know!
Old 05-30-13, 05:34 PM
static250
Driver

Originally Posted by lysis250
If the car was totaled there was no way he could have bought it for cash, the insurance company would've taken it away and put it up for sale on the auction, after that there is no way to have a clean title, if the guy is the original owner and he got in an accident that means it wasn't big enough to salvage it. Therefore if he can show you the title and it's clean, then it's a clean title.
^^ this is False information you are giving. I totaled my last car and bought it back from the insurance company. You will always have the option to buy back the car if it is a total loss. The insurance company will charge you what they call the salvaged value.

As far as the title not saying salvage on it I have no clue how he did that because as soon as I got the title in the mail after I bought it back it clearly said SALVAGE on it
Old 05-30-13, 07:14 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by static250
^^ this is False information you are giving. I totaled my last car and bought it back from the insurance company. You will always have the option to buy back the car if it is a total loss. The insurance company will charge you what they call the salvaged value.

As far as the title not saying salvage on it I have no clue how he did that because as soon as I got the title in the mail after I bought it back it clearly said SALVAGE on it
The OP never saw the title. I am sure the title states it's salvage if it was.
In any case, if he lie about the accident and the salvage title it is fraud and you'll get your money back. anyhow.
Old 05-30-13, 08:54 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by static250

This is correct. a friend of mine total her car, the insurance company gave her a big check. She was also able to buy back her car as well at salvage price.
Old 05-30-13, 10:32 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

Little worried to post link cuz he has my #.. Should I not be? If in AZ and looking at 350s pm me.. Especially if white.
Old 05-30-13, 10:44 PM
JohnWiggy
Driver School Candidate

And yeah I never saw title. Was pretty sure u can buy back totaled vehicles.. Wasn't sure if rules maybe changed.

We had a guy commit fraud that sold us a fax machine at office.. Owed us 2K. Took us pain in ____ small claims court and no money for over a year. We won judgement pretty quick but sometimes u can't get blood out of a turnip. Nothings cut and dry or easy when the law is involved.

Last edited by JohnWiggy; 05-31-13 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: WOW glad I checked!