IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 07:24 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

The OP has a '06 model like me...so he will need to be in the "S" mode in order to use the paddles.
Old 06-04-13, 08:27 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have an 06. Yes I do have to be in S mode. The paddle shifter - does not work but the + does. So there must be some wire that has gone bad or something. I don't use them hardly. I was just using them cause I was trying to keep my car in a certain gear while going up a hill at 55mph rather than having my car keep shifting gears.
Old 06-05-13, 08:49 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the paddle shifters to be very useful in my 07 is250 specially when tracking my car or doing canyon runs. It allows me to maintain my revs while cornering or even slowing down for a turn without braking. Not exactly sure why some people are saying that they're for marketing purposes... Then again I do beat the ******* out of my car on a daily basis and rev to redline pretty much everyday. Afterall... that is why I bought my car, To drive it!
Old 06-05-13, 10:20 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
I find the paddle shifters to be very useful in my 07 is250 specially when tracking my car or doing canyon runs. It allows me to maintain my revs while cornering or even slowing down for a turn without braking. Not exactly sure why some people are saying that they're for marketing purposes... Then again I do beat the ******* out of my car on a daily basis and rev to redline pretty much everyday. Afterall... that is why I bought my car, To drive it!
If you redline it everyday don't be surprised when the transmission and engine would fail.It sounds like you're abusing the car not driving it. If you ever drove a car with peddle shifters that are doing what it suppose to do (manual control of the gears) you'll understand how useless are Lexus IS peddle shifters and that they are there for marketing purposes only. Lexus is the only manufacture in the world that put the peddles to limit the gears, Most of the other manufacture uses from D if you move the **** down you go into 4(car uses only 4 gears) after that 3(car uses only 3 gears) and 2 and 1. Lexus chooses to put that function on the peddle to makes people think that they have manual control over the gears. Gear limiters are very useful when you go downhill or uphill to limit your transmission to use only the first few gears but that's about it.
When I bought the car many dealers I came across were positive that this is what they're for and that is how they market them. Even lexus does that on their website. It's only when you read the manual you find out you got screwed.

Last edited by keyframe13; 06-05-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-05-13, 10:43 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keyframe13
If you redline it everyday don't be surprised when the transmission and engine would fail.It sounds like you're abusing the car not driving it. If you ever drove a car with peddle shifters that are doing what it suppose to do (manual control of the gears) you'll understand how useless are Lexus IS peddle shifters and that they are there for marketing purposes only. Lexus is the only manufacture in the world that put the peddles to limit the gears, Most of the other manufacture uses from D if you move the **** down you go into 4(car uses only 4 gears) after that 3(car uses only 3 gears) and 2 and 1. Lexus chooses to put that function on the peddle to makes people think that they have manual control over the gears. Gear limiters are very useful when you go downhill or uphill to limit your transmission to use only the first few gears but that's about it.
When I bought the car many dealers I came across were positive that this is what they're for and that is how they market them. Even lexus does that on their website. It's only when you read the manual you find out you got screwed.

I've abused all my cars on a daily basis. I'm well aware of the problems that can arise from such use. My car is about to go into service for the whole oil consumption situation and they're more then likely going to be doing the whole engine overhaul under warranty. That is beside the point though.

I'm going to sound like a total noob here but I still fail to understand how everyone says that the paddles on the IS are a joke. I'm able to shift manually through all my gears both up shifting and down shifting (as long as my rpms aren't super high) while in paddle mode. When I'm in D and cruising on the fwy I push the lever over to paddle mode and yes it does drop it to 4th gear until I up shift with the paddles or lever up to 5th gear or 6th gear.
Old 06-05-13, 10:49 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Unless u have an ISF , Now that's real paddles shifter