IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Have you pressed the POWER button?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 10:08 PM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you pressed the POWER button?

I have a 2010 IS350c. I've had it almost 4 years. I always thought the ECT POWER button was a gimmick so I never tried it.

I have to tell you - and this is probably no secret to those that know about it - this car becomes downright SCARY with the ect power. I don't know what it does exactly, but it's more than simply holding the gear longer into higher RPMs.

Everything changes. The car feels hundreds of pounds lighter with instant throttle response. Gear changes are quicker, more abrupt. Acceleration is downright scary! If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. It's amazing, like you suddenly made a bunch of mods that add HP and Torque.
Old 06-05-13, 10:56 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if you search around the forum, you will see the differences that the power mode actually gives. the title of the mode tends to give it more feeling of a difference than it actually is. if it weren't called "power" it might not have such a feeling of effect.
Old 06-06-13, 12:17 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah there's actually no difference in power unfortunately, it's all in just how the throttle reacts and how the transmission shifts.
Old 06-06-13, 02:59 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I have a IS250 and it's freaking slow. Power mode just make the car feel so alive. I love that mode It's ON all the time on mine. Also when you break it changes to inferior gears so you have power at any time you accelerate after braking.
Old 06-06-13, 04:14 AM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you have never been in a fast car before if a stock 350 is scary. ETC power doesn't shift faster, its more for lower rpm gear changes and will hold gears longer when driving leisurely. I'm almost certain regular mode will tach higher than ETC Power when WOT as well. Maybe you just haven't gotten on the car in 4 years haha.
Old 06-06-13, 06:22 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is always turned on because it's better for the transmission as well throttle is more sensitive
no i don't race my 250 so i never need to put it to normal and turn off the traction
Old 06-06-13, 09:36 AM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yeah there's actually no difference in power unfortunately, it's all in just how the throttle reacts and how the transmission shifts.
+1 Truth
Old 06-07-13, 12:05 AM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

It's called the Placebo effect...
Old 06-07-13, 12:19 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
that about sums it up in a nutshell
Old 06-07-13, 12:22 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

It's all in the throttle response, but personally I like it. I enjoy an aggressive throttle response.
Old 06-12-13, 09:43 PM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
It's all in the throttle response, but personally I like it. I enjoy an aggressive throttle response.
Yes, it's that incredibly aggressive throttle response that caught me off guard, and it was scary!

Being very used to how the car normally behaves driving it daily for the past few years, then driving around 40 down the road in power mode and hitting the gas to pass.... Flew by with high revs, and a roar, and with the top down.. sweeeeet!
Old 06-19-13, 04:23 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I switch power mode on when I am in a rush and need t o get thru cars driving slower (in a pac) in front of me. This works well especially during up-hill when the car can just accelerate faster when rpm is held high. It also works great with stopping. Once the foot is off gas, the gear will slow the car down before your foot is on brake pedals. ---> all the traits that I need to go between traffic. but I don't do it often.
Old 06-19-13, 06:24 PM
jjpb5
Driver School Candidate

It should be called the "waste more gas button"
Old 06-19-13, 06:57 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

I mostly use it on long drives. From California to Seattle and back. It makes it much easier to pass the other vehicles.
Old 06-19-13, 08:26 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dong888
I switch power mode on when I am in a rush and need t o get thru cars driving slower (in a pac) in front of me. This works well especially during up-hill when the car can just accelerate faster when rpm is held high. It also works great with stopping. Once the foot is off gas, the gear will slow the car down before your foot is on brake pedals. ---> all the traits that I need to go between traffic. but I don't do it often.
Originally Posted by metalgear
I mostly use it on long drives. From California to Seattle and back. It makes it much easier to pass the other vehicles.
yeah i have to agree. i do prefer the way the car behaves in "power" espcially when im trying to navigate through all the sunday drivers here when im trying to get somewhere

Originally Posted by jjpb5
It should be called the "waste more gas button"
crazy thing is, i think i get better gas mileage in the power setting than i do in the normal setting

Quick Reply: Have you pressed the POWER button?