IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pic of your 2IS - RIGHT NOW ! take 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 02:13 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Where you get the rear bumper lower diffuser, and the carbon exhaust tips?
All from Ebay. The rear diffuser was a one piece kit I cut off the fins and shaped to fit under the car. Then wrapped in CF. The tips are real CF 4in I also had to cut them to fit. Real CF is very difficult to cut!!
Old 09-20-21, 01:28 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't posted in a while...
The following 3 users liked this post by quick123:
Cali2is (09-20-21), John703 (02-02-22), primavera (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 07:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123

Haven't posted in a while...

^^ Crickets, she's grounded!
Any pictures of the metal work along the way? Those flairs are pretty b%&chen!
Old 09-24-21, 10:52 AM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Yesterday at Fashion Island Newport Beach CA

Old 09-26-21, 04:26 PM
Bgoutdanaw
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2014 Is250 F ,I love this whip

Just gave it a lil wash and vacc

I love the rims on it

Lil side pic
Old 09-26-21, 04:51 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Not right now, but this is the last time i see her

Old 09-27-21, 11:08 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry to see this happening in such a nice car!Hope you are ok
Old 09-27-21, 10:06 PM
Erkorei
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wrong thread

Last edited by Erkorei; 09-27-21 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 01:01 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PAVGR
Sorry to see this happening in such a nice car!Hope you are ok
thanks, but i am really miss her, my insurance decided as a total loss
Old 09-28-21, 04:12 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Boring driveway shot.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbaugher47:
2013FSport (01-13-22), John703 (02-02-22)
Old 10-02-21, 12:01 AM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Received 796 Likes on 225 Posts

Wife's IS350 getting a facelift:

The following 3 users liked this post by DownUnder:
isaacrvl88 (10-02-21), John703 (02-02-22), MikeyStyle (10-02-21)
Old 10-30-21, 07:25 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2is

Was driving by and saw this Subi parked underneath a tree and could not resist.
I do not even know who it belongs to, 😂

I have always liked the 2004 rectangular grill version, AKA Blobeye, but the maintenance and reliability is horrific. Still, is a very clean looking subi, but not as much as the Lexus 😆
Old 10-30-21, 11:28 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Finally have stitched airbag covers in all 3 cars 🥳. A small detail but adds so much class. It replaces the original airbag cover, so you need to drill out the rivets and squeeze the airbag assembly back in, which is a pretty scary process, but worth the effort in the end 👍

Old 11-02-21, 03:11 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Finally have stitched airbag covers in all 3 cars 🥳. A small detail but adds so much class. It replaces the original airbag cover, so you need to drill out the rivets and squeeze the airbag assembly back in, which is a pretty scary process, but worth the effort in the end 👍
Those look really good. I've also been working on re-trimming my airbag cover for a while but doing a lot of homework and speaking to professionals to make sure I do it properly. I posted some pics of a spare one currently dismantled at the end of the post.

A bit of advice for those wanting to do this mod. Just because an airbag inflates and splits the leather open doesn’t mean it works properly. Sure, it’s great that the airbag does that but, as with most things, timing is everything. The most dangerous thing is that trimmers often make comments like “don’t worry, nothing can hold back that explosion” or “I’ve tested it myself on spare part and the leather splits up, no problem.” and some will even show you video demos of a controlled airbag deployment which shows the airbag splitting. This misleads people into thinking that just because an airbag inflates, it will work as designed.

The fact is, airbag charges are designed to coincide with the movement of a human body within a crash condition. The charge is timed so that the airbag is fully inflated at the very instant before a body comes in contact with it. Too early, and the bag vents out leaving less cushion for an impact; too late, and the body is already in its path and gets slammed with the full force of the explosion.

To illustrate the point about timing being everything, watch this video made by Honda of a watermelon dropping on an airbag as it inflates properly, and also with the bag inflating just seven hundredths of a second too late.

I've held back re-trimming mine for quite some time while I do some testing. I had one that was just re-trimmed with leather then professionally tested and timed with super-slowmo camera and although the leather did split nicely, the timing was over double the amount it took the original plastic to split. I then did another this time i cut the leather from he rear exactly at the same locations where the original plastic is designed to split and create a window flap. I tried to do the cuts as deep as possible without coming through the front. After timing that, it was much better almost identical to the original. I say ALMOST, it's still not identical to the dot but damn close. I think this is a case of needing to make a slight risk compromise. But I personally would feel a lot safer knowing the timing is much closer to the original that way over double the amount. So, anyone wanting to do this: remember, a trimmer cannot guarantee the timing of the airbag split unless they have done a timing test and compared with the original.

I don't want to put anyone off doing this mod, but I really think people should approach this mod with their eyes open and not be mislead by false claims that sellers make like "it will blow open no problem"

The following users liked this post:
DownUnder (11-03-21)
Old 11-03-21, 01:45 AM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ahmed24
Those look really good. I've also been working on re-trimming my airbag cover for a while but doing a lot of homework and speaking to professionals to make sure I do it properly. I posted some pics of a spare one currently dismantled at the end of the post.

A bit of advice for those wanting to do this mod. Just because an airbag inflates and splits the leather open doesn’t mean it works properly. Sure, it’s great that the airbag does that but, as with most things, timing is everything. The most dangerous thing is that trimmers often make comments like “don’t worry, nothing can hold back that explosion” or “I’ve tested it myself on spare part and the leather splits up, no problem.” and some will even show you video demos of a controlled airbag deployment which shows the airbag splitting. This misleads people into thinking that just because an airbag inflates, it will work as designed.

The fact is, airbag charges are designed to coincide with the movement of a human body within a crash condition. The charge is timed so that the airbag is fully inflated at the very instant before a body comes in contact with it. Too early, and the bag vents out leaving less cushion for an impact; too late, and the body is already in its path and gets slammed with the full force of the explosion.

To illustrate the point about timing being everything, watch this video made by Honda of a watermelon dropping on an airbag as it inflates properly, and also with the bag inflating just seven hundredths of a second too late.

https://youtu.be/QS6ywFGcLSk

I've held back re-trimming mine for quite some time while I do some testing. I had one that was just re-trimmed with leather then professionally tested and timed with super-slowmo camera and although the leather did split nicely, the timing was over double the amount it took the original plastic to split. I then did another this time i cut the leather from he rear exactly at the same locations where the original plastic is designed to split and create a window flap. I tried to do the cuts as deep as possible without coming through the front. After timing that, it was much better almost identical to the original. I say ALMOST, it's still not identical to the dot but damn close. I think this is a case of needing to make a slight risk compromise. But I personally would feel a lot safer knowing the timing is much closer to the original that way over double the amount. So, anyone wanting to do this: remember, a trimmer cannot guarantee the timing of the airbag split unless they have done a timing test and compared with the original.

I don't want to put anyone off doing this mod, but I really think people should approach this mod with their eyes open and not be mislead by false claims that sellers make like "it will blow open no problem"
Very interesting points and I completely agree with what you're saying. I work at a car wrecker/dismantler and about 1 in 3 cars that come into our yard has had some form of airbag deployment due to being involved in a crash, so I am constantly reminded of the importance of an airbag working properly. Like any good salesman, the seller sent me a video of them deploying one in a vehicle and assured me of it's safety, but as a salesman myself I tend not to believe the pitch and ordered only one initially so I could check out the quality in person. After comparing the inside of the OEM vs aftermarket airbag cover the two looked identical in design, and while I can't test the deployment myself, I was satisfied with the quality and the potential risk of it deploying slightly slower than intended by Lexus. Fingers crossed that I am never in the situation of a real-life test, but I'm satisfied enough to not lose enough sleep over it 😄

Quick Reply: Pic of your 2IS - RIGHT NOW ! take 2