IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New policy with Lexus loaners

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 06:21 AM
JC08IS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the turn-a-round time on these 2 recall repairs normally? I was told 2 hours by one Lexus dealer but never did bother to ask him about a loaner car. Even if it's for a few hours, I'd like a loaner to go and take care of some errands while the car is being fixed.
Old 06-08-13, 07:23 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to get a loaner for these two simple recalls your dealer is very inefficient. I took mine in last week for an oil/filter change + the two recalls. Sat down and had breakfast, read the newspaper on the Kindle and the car was all done in less than 90 minutes along with a full tank of premium fuel. And the $60 charge for the oil/filter was paid for by points on my Lexus Visa card so it was a very easy and cheap. Grabbed a Pepsi on the way out and was back on the road in no time. No big deal, you shouldn't need a loaner for this type of work.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-08-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 07:28 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I've never had to pay for gas.
Old 06-08-13, 08:11 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by p0lo8
I have never got a free full tank of gas, but I have never paid gas or tolls for the loaners. I understand with the tolls, but I think they should cover the gas like they used to.
I am in suburban Chicago as well. I have never gotten a free tank of gas when getting work done at the dealer - I have been to three different dealers.

The dealer always makes me return the car with the same amount of gas. I feel that is fair.

The dealer always has an I-Pass unit on the loaner that pays for tolls - I have never been asked to pay tolls.
Old 06-08-13, 08:31 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been this way for me for years and I have no complaints... it's understandable.
Old 06-08-13, 12:04 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I think this is dependent on the dealer. I have to sign paper saying I'm responsible for the damage to the loaner and that I have insurance.

The loaner is always full of gas, and I don't need to worry about refilling though.
Old 06-08-13, 12:21 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

If you drive your car to work and home and pay the toll why the heck should the dealer pay for the toll? This is the ultimate in cheapness.

When cars go in for recalls they get filled up. When they go in for service they don't.

For less than 2 hours of work the local dealer will not supply a loaner. I think this policy is more than fair.

The more you ask for the hire the rates go.

Let's be sensible and treat people the way we like to be treated.

Besides, in the Lexus food chain the IS not an expensive car. I am sure if we were talking LS money the dealers would not be as stringent.
Old 06-08-13, 12:22 PM
nonford
Rookie

Originally Posted by jakers95
Park Place told me I can bring it back on E and they don't mind. Tolls are included as well. Probably just depends on the dealership you go to. Some dealerships can't keep up in todays economy.
Exactly my experience with Park Place. tolls and gas included. Super friendly folks, great dealership. FYI, Grapevine location...
Old 06-08-13, 12:29 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by p0lo8
It is not a big deal. I was just surprised because it was new to me.
Clearly it was somewhat of a big deal if you complained to the manager AND created a thread about it here. I'm really not sure why anyone would be surprised by having to pay for your own gas. That should be expected, and to me, falls into the category of common sense and common courtesy. The surprise should be when the dealer tells you its ok to bring it back empty.
Old 06-08-13, 08:24 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I took my car today as walk in (no appointment) for the same two recalls(trunk and wipers) and wanted to do an oil change as well. They took the car and in 2 hours all recalls were done and the oil changed, free wash and full tank of gas. Walk out happy
Old 06-08-13, 11:31 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Not only do I not have to pay for gas, but if I ever drop my car off for service around lunch time, my dealership will just give me a free $20 voucher for lunch at any of the restaurants near the dealership.
Old 06-10-13, 09:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They've always been doing that here at all the dealers i've been too.
Got to remember that a loaner car is a privilege - not a right.
Old 06-10-13, 09:49 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

agree with others everytime ive had a loaner ive had to leave that info pretty much covers there butt incase something happens.
Old 06-10-13, 10:36 PM
350n350
Rookie

....I can understand that they need your driver license and insurance info, but you shouldn't have to pay for gas. I never have to put in any gas for Lexus loaners.
Old 06-10-13, 11:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's up to each individual dealership how they want to handle the loaner thing.
As far as gas, as mentioned, recalls equal free gas. Service does not. A fair set-up in my opinion.

Now lets look at it from a different angle. Within the last ten years, competition has gotten fierce in the auto industry. Many manufacturers started including free maintenance as standard. Why? What better way to draw in customers and win them over in the showroom. Now, why can't this trickle down on the servicing level? It has. A dealer that offers all the little extras is doing the same thing a manufacturer is doing by offering freebies. It's all under the same thinking- offer things above and beyond what people are not used to getting and you draw in more sales. Overtime, others catch on to it and follow suite. Soon enough, everyone is doing it and it becomes expected. Take it away and we are shocked. I bet the first cars ever made did not come with warranties. Looking at all the things we get today, we've come a long way in what's expected. In a way, we have it great. But then again, it's all reflected in the sticker price.

Quick Reply: New policy with Lexus loaners