IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seeking IS advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 03:08 PM
lostinthew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking IS advice

I have a 98 GS300 that I am considering selling and moving to the IS. I know little about it and seek your advice.

I'm old so my days of modding are long gone. What's important to me is ride and comfort (sorry, did I say I was old?). I like the GS ride. Can I get something similar in the IS? I'm interested in something about 3-6 years old. Are there years/models that are better than others? Any to avoid?

I drive less than 10k per year so mpg is also not too big a concern.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-13, 03:12 PM
Surf247
Driver

i just bought the is250 08 last month and i love it extremely comfy ride super quiet reliable.

bought it with 62k fully loaded halogen bulbs tan interior and smokey granite mica color for 22k out the door with a 36k warranty left bumper to bumper...

id get it...wish i had the 350 but i got a dui 3 years ago and insurance would be another 200 a montha nd the car payment was another 200 so i didnt want to spend an extra 1100 a month for a car lol.
Old 06-10-13, 04:00 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lostinthew
I have a 98 GS300 that I am considering selling and moving to the IS. I know little about it and seek your advice.

I'm old so my days of modding are long gone. What's important to me is ride and comfort (sorry, did I say I was old?). I like the GS ride. Can I get something similar in the IS? I'm interested in something about 3-6 years old. Are there years/models that are better than others? Any to avoid?

Thanks.
I would say go with the IS350 instead of the 250. Too many problems such as carbon build up in the 250's. Ride comfort for the 2IS is amazing, I love it. go with a 2008 and above IS350
Old 06-10-13, 08:18 PM
DC84
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.
i have a 2010 IS250 RWD, bought new, and no regrets at all. Its a great car with a very smooth ride and quiet engine. No problems with my car in terms of major issues, in general i think its a good year to buy. I wouldnt get this car though if you love ripping it on the open roads, it is underpowered i think, and the automatic is slightly lagging when changing gears. Just my opinions, but i think it is a great daily driver car with a little sportiness and luxury in one.
Old 06-10-13, 08:52 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

350 if you want 100 more HP. It WILL be smaller in the cabin compared to the GS. That's probably the only draw back if any. Very comfortable as far as ride is concerned. Small changes to the 09'+ such as blinkers in mirrors, tail lights, grille surround, radio trim.
Old 06-10-13, 09:49 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

You should get an IS. It's a very nice ride. However, the interior space is smaller than a GS.

I'd get a 350 instead of a 250 if you spare the extra $$$. The extra HP helps out a lot.

I've had my Is for 6 yrs and no problems so far. Only maintenance completed is the regular scheduled maintenance so far.
Old 06-10-13, 11:49 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

You should also consider the ES, which is bigger and offers a smoother ride. I have not driven a GS but I think the ride quality is probably in between an IS and ES.
Old 06-11-13, 09:25 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new IS suspension is actually a little stiffer than the new ES suspension. I can feel more of the bumps in the road compared to the ES. It is still comfortable but there is a noticeable difference in spring rates between both. I would recommend getting an IS because I love my car BUT be weary, there is no back seat on the IS compared to other lexus models.

you said your older so i assume you have kids or family and what not. the IS is NOT a family car.
Old 06-11-13, 11:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Test drive an 08+ IS250, IS350, and GS350 if its within your budget. That's really the only way to get a worthwhile comparison to your 98 GS300.
Old 06-13-13, 12:23 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

If you TRULY enjoy driving, get an IS. An ES/GS/LS is a nice ride to get you from A to B...but where is the fun factor?
Old 06-13-13, 02:16 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drive an '08+ IS350 and GS350. Pricing should be in the $20k range for a decent model with some of the notable amenities.

This also helps with purchasing:
★ 2IS FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and DIY Thread ★
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Enjoy.
Old 06-13-13, 04:21 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

is350, enough said.
Old 06-13-13, 04:37 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Thanks.
Hello!

May I ask why your are looking into an IS rather than a newer GS?
To be perfectly honest with you I have an IS and test driven the GS as well. I guess im young still almost 30 but still would like some fun with luxury now which is why I bought the IS fsport. But with your needs of comfort and something not to big I think the newer GS might suit you better.

Lets start with the IS, there are a few options available Base, Luxury and Fsport. Luxury has your needs as far as comfort and luxury, heated and cooled seats, memory seats and adjustability, quality and it delivers the same performance.
Now the IS350 is a good choice, it has more than enough power for your basic needs and it has a very reliable engine if it is well taken care of. The IS250 older models 07 and below are known to have carbon build up in the engines but I believe there is a recall for that now, so its not longer an issue. Since you are looking at around last 3 years you are ok with either cars, I like my is250 its good on gas and I am not so much of a HP freak so 205hp is enough for my daily driver with a little bit of handling spunk since its the Fsport.

Again it really depends on you and what you like but if space is ever an issue then I suggest the GS since that has more room with more luxurious ammenities that the IS doesn't have completely like dual pane windows to reduce sound and add comfort. Now if its just for you and a significant other then the IS is a perfect car.

Good luck hope you try them out before you make your final decision!
Old 06-14-13, 02:15 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks.
This IS might feel a bit cramped coming from a GS. If ride and comfort is more important than sportiness, get an ES, I had one and loved it. The IS is quite a bit smaller than the ES and GS (back seat/trunk/everything), but its sportier than the ES.

If you get an IS, please get the 350
Old 06-14-13, 04:04 PM
ozzy250
Rookie

I would say get a 2IS, No doubt it's a very comfortable car ! And same as to what the others say it may be a bit more cramped then the GS

Quick Reply: Seeking IS advice