IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS: Officially officially over...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 12:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 2IS: Officially officially over...

Now that the 3IS is on dealer lots, I can official conclude the time our 2IS's were "thee" news is officially over. All eyes are on the new car now and there will soon be zero new 2IS's left to sell.
It's been an absolute incredible run. The 2IS left the get with a great reception and led the path for Lexus and some competitors to follow. We even got not one but two facelifts! Other than some carbon build-up and a few over-hyped recalls, the model has been a raging success for the company. We've enjoyed modding it, driving it, looking at it, maintaining it, and not stressing over too much of anything. A delightful car to own and hold onto. I have zero regrets with my 2008 GFM and feel confident it will continue to age very well and hold a high value.

A last toast to the 2IS! *cheers*
Old 06-17-13, 12:52 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To this day, the 2IS still looks fresh to me... I agree, it has been a beautiful run, but a run that has not come to an end ... The 2IS will be rolling along for years to come. People still think my car is brand new

Last edited by GiantsFan; 06-17-13 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 12:53 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
We've enjoyed modding it, driving it, looking at it, maintaining it, and not stressing over too much of anything.

A last toast to the 2IS! *cheers*
And we still will.

Don't be so depressing and overreact! lol
Old 06-17-13, 01:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

^
Well, it's just my personal thing and hobby. Part of what I enjoy about cars is seeing or having the latest and much improved. I get a lot of excitement following new cars and seeing who's getting what, how they like them, and which options they choose. When the 2IS came out, I felt a lot of excitement seeing who bought what and them posted pics on here showing everything. Same will happen with the 3IS. So for me, my attention is going to naturally turn to the 3IS forum to monitor the excitement there. In the meantime, I have to learn to accept my car as not so new anymore and find ways to get enjoyment out of extending it's life and maintaining its condition as close to new as possible. That can be fun and a good challenge, so it's all positive.
Old 06-17-13, 09:03 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the 2nd gen IS and i am glad lexus held it on the line for as many years as they did. i have one of the first models yet people ask me day to day IS this a 2012 or something? lol Still one of the best looking cars on the market now IMO

my only thing is hopefully now they will begin making Aftermarket OEM replacement parts. I would love to mod my IS more if axles didnt cost 700 bucks and what not. I would also love to see some company come out with more engine build parts even though the 2IS came with under-powered engines. Cam upgrades, stroker kits, proper tuning components etc.
Old 06-17-13, 09:58 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
To this day, the 2IS still looks fresh to me... I agree, it has been a beautiful run, but a run that has not come to an end ... The 2IS will be rolling along for years to come. People still think my car is brand new
Agree, our cars will age well, though when I do look at the new tail lights on the 3IS it does make me feel a little outdated. At least I was able to refresh my front to make up for that
Old 06-17-13, 10:07 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, may the 2IS live long and prosper!

People mistake my 06 for a new car all the time (I'm almost to 40k miles) and it has features that some new cars dont have (300+ hp, 6spd auto with paddle shift, vent seats, rear sunshade, parking sensors, bluetooth, etc). And there isnt much is doesnt have that the new 3IS has.

Nothing against the 3IS, but it isnt near the improvement over the 2IS as the 2IS was over the 1IS and competitors.

My only question is whether to upgrade now while the 2IS is still holding its value strong, or just keep the car I love and hope I dont see heavy depreciation now that the newer model is out???
Old 06-17-13, 10:21 AM
Surf247
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate the new is it looks like poop
Old 06-17-13, 11:10 AM
Bdub619
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
The 2IS will be rolling along for years to come. People still think my car is brand new
+ 1 .. People still think mine is brand new as well, guess it depends on how well you take care of your car. I think it's a little premature to bid farwell to 2IS just yet, will be a year or two before we see alot on 3IS' on the roads.
Old 06-17-13, 11:58 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, 1IS aged terribly. Like some of the guys above, people still think my 06 2IS is brand new and I still like the look of my car as well. The only thing I do like about the 3IS is the interior and I'd like to test drive it before judging it further since there have been so many good reviews about the handling.
Old 06-17-13, 12:50 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

To this day, I still get odd looks when I tell someone it is a '06 model. They expect a 2010 or something much newer. The lines and shape are timeless and will keep me loving my 2IS until it kicks the bucket (which I'm sure won't be any time soon!).
Old 06-17-13, 01:09 PM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the 2IS aged extremely well. It's like the Acura TL (2007). That car aged extremely well and still looks quite modern. If not, I believe it looks better than the current Acura TL. Hopefully the 2IS will keep that same feeling to others and myself as the Acura TL did.
Old 06-17-13, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I just feel sorry for the suckers jumping ship for the 2014 models when 2015 has the powertrain upgrade. Granted the technology is top notch (including one-shot address entry, cache radio, live traffic/weather non subscription based, BSM, CTA etc..) but that's not enough for me. The navi screen is pathetically small and the black surround shows they can make it bigger, and leather not even as an option on F-Sport, or no USB on US-Spec models really kill it for me. Sad sad mistakes Lexus, your packaging sucks - I could care less if it streamlines your manufacturing process. If you offer an option then it should be available to tailor to your guests wants. They have the money, you have the goods, make it so..
Old 06-17-13, 03:23 PM
MrFRJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhh....... whoa, whoa , whoa I just got mine 2 weeks ago dont kill my vibe lol
Old 06-17-13, 04:25 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 418 Likes on 122 Posts

Test drove the '14 IS250 today and it wasn't that amazing (at least to me). I used to hate how the car looked exterior wise in pictures and loved the interior....but after seeing it in person, the exterior is really nice and I love it now but the interior disappointed me. Interior front felt crammed cause of the bigger center console. Was like a downgraded version of '13 Avalon (cupholder) + current GS/ES/LS (although the IS250/350 is a lower level car)

I have yet to test out an IS350 F Sport though, and that may change my mind (the F Sport was "sold")

Quick Reply: 2IS: Officially officially over...