IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Attention California ISx Owners!! Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 04:22 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention California ISx Owners!! Need your help!

Hey forum, as the title states, I need some input from my California brothers.

My sister lives in our home town of San Diego (woop woop 619) whereas I currently reside in a small town in North Carolina. I am selling her my car (at an extreme discount ) but hey sometimes you gotta help family out. My car is currently modified with the following engine performance parts: F Sport Intake, Invidia Mid-Pipe and Tanabe Medallion Touring Axle Back.

The question I have for you guys is a two part question.

Part one is, how does the buying out of state process work for you Californians? Do you abide by the rules of the state the car is currently registered in or the rules of CA? If you do follow the rules of CA what are the rules?

Part two is, do I have to remove all my performance parts in order for the title transfer to take place? My cousin who is a bimmer guy seems to think so and he too resides in SD. I know the F Sport Intake is CARB Exempt, but what about the Invidia Mid-Pipe and Tanabe Axle Back? I'm pretty sure she has to pass a SMOG test prior to her being able to register the car.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can figure out this process prior to shipping the car out to her... any shipping companies you guys recommend?
Old 06-24-13, 04:25 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

To register the car in CA it will need to pass a CA smog test. You will most likely need to remove the mid-pipe and exhaust.
Old 06-24-13, 04:36 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

even if the mid pipe and axle back doesnt alter the smog level of the car? are those parts legal in CA? i dont remember when i bought them since i dont have to pass CA SMOG lol
Old 06-24-13, 04:53 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Yes, any modifications made that alter the emissions equipment of the vehicle must be removed unless you have a CARB exempt certificate. Even if the vehicle is able to pass the Co2 levels test. Also, it must be CARB exempt for CA specifically, some are CARB exempt for 48 states only.
Old 06-24-13, 04:55 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
even if the mid pipe and axle back doesnt alter the smog level of the car? are those parts legal in CA? i dont remember when i bought them since i dont have to pass CA SMOG lol
The F-Sport Intake is carb legal so yes it is CA smog ok. The axle-back is also legal and smog ok. Its the midpipe that you might have to remove. It all depends on the place you go... If they do a visual inspection (like they are suppose to) than you will most likely fail but if they go straight to smog then I believe it'll pass. Don't quote me on that though
Old 06-24-13, 04:59 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the "I passed (my state's) Smog Inspection" thread.
Old 06-24-13, 05:00 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Crispy
Yes, any modifications made that alter the emissions equipment of the vehicle must be removed unless you have a CARB exempt certificate. Even if the vehicle is able to pass the Co2 levels test. Also, it must be CARB exempt for CA specifically, some are CARB exempt for 48 states only.
Right the F Sport Intake is 50 state legal. And so is the Axle Back. However, the mid pipe deletes 2 of the 4 cats so therefore illegal... especially if they do a visual.

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
The F-Sport Intake is carb legal so yes it is CA smog ok. The axle-back is also legal and smog ok. Its the midpipe that you might have to remove. It all depends on the place you go... If they do a visual inspection (like they are suppose to) than you will most likely fail but if they go straight to smog then I believe it'll pass. Don't quote me on that though
And I believe you are correct. The intake and axle back can stay but mid pipe has to go especially if she runs into a visual after sniffer. Are you familiar with what i asked in question 1?
Old 06-24-13, 05:11 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And I believe you are correct. The intake and axle back can stay but mid pipe has to go especially if she runs into a visual after sniffer. Are you familiar with what i asked in question 1?
Which rules are you referring to?
Old 06-24-13, 05:13 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in CA, specifically SD, and I didn't know this

Would I have to take off my Tanabe Hyper Medalion and SRT intake before smogging?
Old 06-24-13, 05:19 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
Which rules are you referring to?
when I transfer the title over to her, whats the process of her registering it in CA?
Old 06-24-13, 05:22 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

To answer question one, when you register the car in CA, they will need proof of passing a CA smog test in order to complete the registration. There are some exemptions for historical vehicles, but you obviously won't qualify for that. Other than passing the smog test, I don't believe there are any other qualifications you must meet to complete the registration process.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

Last edited by Crispy; 06-24-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 06:30 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

i shipped a car from CA to OH once
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
had the cheapest rates. got there safely too
Old 06-24-13, 06:35 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

other rules I can think of are tint and not having front license plate.
not strongly enforced, but you'll get a fix a ticket usually when pulled over for another reason, or just on a unlucky day.
Old 06-24-13, 06:38 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kentaro
other rules I can think of are tint and not having front license plate.
not strongly enforced, but you'll get a fix a ticket usually when pulled over for another reason, or just on a unlucky day.
totally didnt think of that front license plate thing haha. her current car has illegal tint, she just rolls her windows down around town and through check points. looks like she will need a front license plate mount, does sewell parts stock it?
Old 06-24-13, 06:39 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Crispy
To answer question one, when you register the car in CA, they will need proof of passing a CA smog test in order to complete the registration. There are some exemptions for historical vehicles, but you obviously won't qualify for that. Other than passing the smog test, I don't believe there are any other qualifications you must meet to complete the registration process.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm
thanks for the link! def check that out

Originally Posted by peyman
i shipped a car from CA to OH once
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
had the cheapest rates. got there safely too
thanks for the recommendation. i was deciding between them and Montway

Quick Reply: Attention California ISx Owners!! Need your help!