IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New OEM spec rotors too small, is that an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 02:25 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaykobo
why you hummring the old rotor......you not having a drum man...it's a disk and once you take off the celiper brake base and the washer brass or steel lock from the bolt it's easily get out by hands

check the pads if the pads completly contact the rotor it's ok and fit in the bearing ...don't worry about the size

if not even by 1mm........gonna make a big problem

you can use the old rotor but keep in mind you need to change the pads when you need to pun new rotor....and the brake wont be that good

if there is a machine for the old rotor do it "if it not completly damge cos the hard hummring
Look at the damage to the old rotors in the pictures above. Those are NOT safe to re-use, even if they are machined (I doubt you would even be able to find a shop willing to machine those). I would be very careful about recommending someone drive on damaged rotors, you would not want to put anyone at risk. When it comes to brakes, the smart thing is to always err on the side of caution.
Old 06-25-13, 07:15 AM
Jaykobo
Driver School Candidate

I won't put any or try to put any in risk man

You all right Crispy but I told him if he has to do.......already said the brake gonna be not that good or in other word weak.........It's better not drive it until he get new one....much better
Old 06-25-13, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

So the bearings in the hub may not exhibit signs of damage now, but in about 1500 miles they'll start howling and you'll be taking it all apart again to replace the hubs. Hubs are not cheap. They're pretty straight forward to replace, but you'll absolutely need a torque wrench to install them. The four bolts holding the hub on the knuckle are the only thing between you and a wheel falling off the car, so it's critically important they are all tightened to the right value on all four bolts.

There is a brake DIY in this forum that has been here for a long time. It includes the specs for the bolts you need to remove the discs. It would have saved you a lot of frustration - it's pretty obvious the discs didn't want to come off, even with the hammer. And don't feel bad, 30 years ago I had the same problem but didn't have bolt holes to help me, so I feel your pain. What really sucks is the rotors you got are not the right ones (regardless of the invoice, what showed up is definitely not for your car). Worst of all, it's your only transportation so you're on the shoe leather express until you get this sorted out. I know all too well how that feels.
Old 06-25-13, 11:30 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for future refence, those bolt holes take an 8x1.25 bolt.
Old 07-18-13, 12:24 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

just wanted to add to this the issue was taken care of...
hope you enjoy them gFREAKy, & thanks for the business.
post-up pics when they're on & bed in!
-a