IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 Lexus IS250 Help Needed :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 09:17 PM
brendah19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Lexus IS250 Help Needed :(

Saturday my car was running fine, until I hit a huge pothole (passenger front tire), got out to check if damaged bumper, undercarriage or tire, nothing. Few minutes after driving again car started struggling for power. Car started making a weird sound but you could only hear it from inside, sounds like a compressor in trunk, I'd full throttle car and car would jump to 7000rpm and bounce back to 3000rpm, shift and then jump back up rpms. When I got home 20 mins later, I parked car thinking it was just acting up hoping it was just all in my mind, came back out an hour later and car started then immediately died. I eventually got it to start by giving it some gas, drove it to Lexus dealer and they told me my fuel pumps bad, weird I got 80K on my car, car never had signs of failure, NOTHING, oh also no check engine codes on dash whatsoever when I took car in for inspection.

Report came back says, they scanned for trouble codes and none found, monitored fuel pressure and found mechanical fuel pump pressure drop from 1800 to 0psi, recommend changing fuel pump, they want 2000 for the fix.

Soooooo I am NOT saying they are wrong cus I'm just a girl, not mechanically sound whatsoever but I wasn't born yesterday and find it weird that I hit a bump and all sudden my fuel pump is out. I declined service at the moment, my cars been sitting since Saturday as it wont start anymore, also has check engine light AND some picture of a car with squiggly lines behind it like its skidding. Got so many different opinions on what it is already but figured best way to find out is get actual Lexus owners opinions, so I will tell you what I've been told and you let me know what you guys think it is.

For starters, my car doesn't start at all, has the check engine light and when ignition turned on my trunk makes a loud buzzing sound, which I was told is my fuel pump and if it does that means its still in working order, with that being said...

Was told I have 2 fuel pumps by few mechanics.

One mechanic said fuel pump is 1500 just for part plus his labor, he will change one in back

2nd mechanic scanned car and came up with code P0087, says back one works bc of buzz sound and that I have another safety fuel pump in front engine bay that probably became faulty or turned off when hard impact happened, he said he can change that for his labor plus supposedly part is like 200 bux or so.

3rd mechanic says its fuel pump in back too, says he can just get a universal pump for like 100 or so and change it.

Now Ive done some minor research on the code P0087, it seems to be fuel related period, but could it not be something like a bad O2 sensor underneath car if one exist? Is there really a safety pump like 2nd mechanic states? Is buzzing sound in trunk really mean pumps still good? I'm so lost and really don't know where to start, I dont want to spend to change something that isn't bad and wont get me back on the road. Anyone ever have issue like this or can they point me in right direction, I'd appreciate it so much

Also I am in Long Beach, CA area if anyone knows a great Lexus mechanic at great price and can recommend a fix with reasonable priced parts as I can't afford 1500 for a fuel pump, I'll take my chances on a universal one for now as I don't plan to keep car much longer but still need it for transportation.
Old 06-26-13, 11:23 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that your first post on here had to be this one... Honestly this is a firs ive ever heard that happen. Someone will chime in and maybe give you a good place to have it checked out
Old 06-27-13, 05:54 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendah19

Soooooo I am NOT saying they are wrong cus I'm just a girl,
I don;t know the answer to your problem but judging by that sentence you sound like a wonderful ladyhaha
Someone would jump soon.
What I can tell for sure is that fuel pump was covered under powertrain warranty that expired at 70k miles. Not sure if you can get Lexus to pay for parts and you pay the labor.
Old 06-27-13, 12:53 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

First off, from what I've been told from a reliable source on CL here, we only have one fuel pump.

Second, you're on the right track; I it hard to believe that of all things that the fuel pump is going out due to the pothole.

The problem here to me sounds electrical. I'd start by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, and then reconnecting it. Report back on what changes (if any) occurred.

Wish you luck! We're here to help.
Old 06-27-13, 08:47 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with that p0087 code, the following could also be the cause:

Fuel pump
High pressure side fuel pump
Fuel pipe (Fuel tank - High pressure side fuel pump)
Fuel pipe (High pressure side fuel pump - Injector)
Fuel injector
Fuel relief valve
Fuel pressure sensor
Fuel pressure regulator
ECM.

the tech that said you have 2 fuel pumps is correct. one in the back under the rear passenger seats and also under the hood which gives the IS250/IS350 a "loud ticking" because the fuel injectors are opening and closing at rapid speeds. I would ask if they inspected and tested the fuel pump. if its a dealership, they should have removed and tested it.
Old 06-28-13, 12:05 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
the tech that said you have 2 fuel pumps is correct.
I was told there are two access points to the tank, yes; but one is the fuel pump and the other is the sending unit (floater and etc). I believe Jeff L told me this...thus automatically it has to be correct. LOL!
Old 03-16-16, 08:57 PM
Rmando
Driver School Candidate

Default P0087 code

I'm having the same problem check vsc/check engine light/traction light on, I can't accelerate.i have to pull over with the same speed I was left with.i scanned for code I got P0087.i already changed the fuel pressure pump which is located in the front,about two weeks ago. Was running fine until now,same code same symptoms.now I'm thinking of changing fuel pressure sensor.i need help please,thank you
Old 03-16-16, 09:16 PM
Rmando
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to cl idk if I'm posting correctly.i drive an 07 is250 rwd100,000 miles on it
Old 03-17-16, 05:09 AM
i8thesun
Rookie

There is a safety device in most cars (required by law) that shuts off the fuel pump after a hard impact, it is called an inertia switch. That keeps fuel from pumping and spraying around after an accident, good thing. There should be an explanation of how to reset it in your owner's manual. The switch is probably behind some trim or carpet in the trunk. I'll be able to help more tomorrow after I buy the is 250 I'm going to look at tonight.

You do have two pumps, an electric pump in the tank (under the trunk) delivers fuel to the engine compartment at moderate pressure. A high-pressure pump in the engine compartment (usually driven by the engine but could be electric) pressurizes the fuel rail so the fuel injector nozzles can spray fuel into the cylinders. If the tank fuel pump is inop, the high-pressure pump can suck fuel under some conditions, but bubbles will form in the fuel line if the pump tries to pull too much (cavitation).

Look for the inertia switch reset procedure in the owner's manual, I'll be interested if that was the problem. Your mechanics might have already checked it, but they might also have totally forgotten about it. If they did try to reset, the switch might be stuck in shutoff, they aren't designed to be used much.
Old 11-24-16, 05:13 AM
Loso350
Driver School Candidate

Default question

Originally Posted by brendah19
Saturday my car was running fine, until I hit a huge pothole (passenger front tire), got out to check if damaged bumper, undercarriage or tire, nothing. Few minutes after driving again car started struggling for power. Car started making a weird sound but you could only hear it from inside, sounds like a compressor in trunk, I'd full throttle car and car would jump to 7000rpm and bounce back to 3000rpm, shift and then jump back up rpms. When I got home 20 mins later, I parked car thinking it was just acting up hoping it was just all in my mind, came back out an hour later and car started then immediately died. I eventually got it to start by giving it some gas, drove it to Lexus dealer and they told me my fuel pumps bad, weird I got 80K on my car, car never had signs of failure, NOTHING, oh also no check engine codes on dash whatsoever when I took car in for inspection.

Report came back says, they scanned for trouble codes and none found, monitored fuel pressure and found mechanical fuel pump pressure drop from 1800 to 0psi, recommend changing fuel pump, they want 2000 for the fix.

Soooooo I am NOT saying they are wrong cus I'm just a girl, not mechanically sound whatsoever but I wasn't born yesterday and find it weird that I hit a bump and all sudden my fuel pump is out. I declined service at the moment, my cars been sitting since Saturday as it wont start anymore, also has check engine light AND some picture of a car with squiggly lines behind it like its skidding. Got so many different opinions on what it is already but figured best way to find out is get actual Lexus owners opinions, so I will tell you what I've been told and you let me know what you guys think it is.

For starters, my car doesn't start at all, has the check engine light and when ignition turned on my trunk makes a loud buzzing sound, which I was told is my fuel pump and if it does that means its still in working order, with that being said...

Was told I have 2 fuel pumps by few mechanics.

One mechanic said fuel pump is 1500 just for part plus his labor, he will change one in back

2nd mechanic scanned car and came up with code P0087, says back one works bc of buzz sound and that I have another safety fuel pump in front engine bay that probably became faulty or turned off when hard impact happened, he said he can change that for his labor plus supposedly part is like 200 bux or so.

3rd mechanic says its fuel pump in back too, says he can just get a universal pump for like 100 or so and change it.

Now Ive done some minor research on the code P0087, it seems to be fuel related period, but could it not be something like a bad O2 sensor underneath car if one exist? Is there really a safety pump like 2nd mechanic states? Is buzzing sound in trunk really mean pumps still good? I'm so lost and really don't know where to start, I dont want to spend to change something that isn't bad and wont get me back on the road. Anyone ever have issue like this or can they point me in right direction, I'd appreciate it so much

Also I am in Long Beach, CA area if anyone knows a great Lexus mechanic at great price and can recommend a fix with reasonable priced parts as I can't afford 1500 for a fuel pump, I'll take my chances on a universal one for now as I don't plan to keep car much longer but still need it for transportation.

bringing this back... so same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. Driving on the interstate and I hit two giant potholes due to construction. My car started lagging afterwards, I would hit the gas and it wouldn't go past 4000rpm and once I got home it died. It's been sitting in my garage ever since. Was about to buy new fuel pump but can you tell me what ended up being the result in your case if it was the "switch" you mentioned and where/how to fix it. Thank you.
Old 11-24-16, 11:14 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to my local dealership to get my fuel pump change only cost ~700 for everything.
Old 06-19-20, 08:59 AM
shuka11999
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. please tell me how you fix your problem
Old 06-19-20, 03:17 PM
4mula_J87
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the code or ?
Old 06-20-20, 02:19 PM
RobLambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try unplugging your power steering module underneath your battery, that pothole may have popped the connectors loose