IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS 350 Last minute pre-purchase advice - Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 12:45 PM
alamgirian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
You are picking up a gem, and sounds very similar to how I got my '06 350. Found it online, placed a deposit on it, flew from SC to NJ to test drive, gave them a check for it, drove it home (SC), and never looked back! Please do yourself a favor and give the car a good kick in the shorts before purchasing; if something is "weak", it'll come out the "rough" test drive.

All of the above mentioned issues and known issues that NOT ALL owners will come across. To start, the dash melting issue is well documented to only be for cars in the extreme sun temps of like FL, TX, and other southern areas. Up NORTH, I've not read about a single melting issue. The NAV unit issue well documented on CL here, but it just doesn't happen all that often. It just seems alot because all of the owners with the issue seem to post on here asking for the fix for it. LOL!

Now, there are more common issues that you should be looking out for :

*water pump - look for pink (Toyota OEM coolant os pink) crust underneath the front-mounted water pump housing. Don't get thrown off by the pink crust around the overflow tank; that is actually normal.

*excessive front inner camber wear - factory front negative camber specs are aggressive for a factory car, so the fronts can wear out more quickly than other comparable models.

*A/C drainage block - hopefully it's not raining outside when you have that second look at it, so crank up that A/C while walking around it and look for the normal A/C puddle to form near the transmission (middle) portion on the ground.

Other than the recalls and TSIBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that Lexus performs free of chrarge, you should be good to go.

If you know the VIN # of the car, sign up on Lexus.com for an account. You can then input the VIN # as "your car" and then view the complete dealership vehicle maintenance history online.

When YOU DO PURCHASE this car, post pics!
The engine oil leak is what irks me most. Its 1 owner car, and the whole maintenance was done at the same very dealership. However, the salesman FAILED to tell me that this vehicle has totally missed out on the TSIB for oil leak, even though it was under that VIN range. Sure, it might have NOT had the problem yet.... Its already been through the Valve Spring repair though.
The other thing, the sales guy repeated told me "NO BODY WORK" - yet with the VIN on Lexus Drivers, it shows that there was a Front Right Damage appraisal for $4500 in early 2012.

Furthermore, I didnt like the clumsy/wiggling engine cover, which did NOT even have lexus logo on it in the engine bay - and the sales guy insisted thats how it came - Yet per drivers website it says that the engine covers were recently installed before they offered the car for sale.
Oh and just before the previous owner traded the car in, there was another damage reported on lexus website (this is the only thing sales guy told us, that there was a scratch on the drivers door - who knows if it was a scratch or what ?)

Originally Posted by Buya02
Dont pay full price for the extended warranty...I think you can get them down to $2000. Wait till the finance guy brings it up. They usually roll it into your loan, so shouldnt make your payment much higher.
I dont know if its worth it - the way I see it, paying even $2000 for having an 06 with 4yr/50K warranty , is perhaps not as gd of an investment as buying a similar yr/later CPO that doesnt fall under VIN for the Oil leak repair at least. (the whole engine out and in... esp. when one has an option to avoid it)

I was going to buy the car outright - so no loan and wasnt considering the warranty - and hence had authorized 25% of price on my credit card.

The car looks great - and might very well be a gem - but I am not feeling comfortable. I really would have loved an IS with that low mileage but some dishonest/failure to disclose things just dont help my overall feelings.... The car was SOLD to someone right before myself, and then they couldnt get financing , again... I dont know if I can believe that now
Old 07-05-13, 02:50 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the price? Depending on how low it is, it could still be a very good deal. Definitely find a reliable, trustworthy independent mechanic around your area, as prices can be rather doable. I had some better luck and decided to go to a highly recommended shop here in SoCal, and the prices have become much more reasonable.

1. Turns out my water pump is fine.
2. Alternator was fine as well. But got a quote regardless, managed to get it down to ~$300
3. Navigation: the indie that I went to fixes several of these navigation units, and has a few DVD drives to spare. Parts + Labor = $500. Word of warning: the malfunctioning drive may be due to replica DVD updates. Yes, I saved money initially, but it may have contributed to the failure, and subsequent repair, of the DVD drive.
4. Had my car inspected again, NO signs of oil leak from the timing chain cover. However, asked about the rates for it, and it came out to be under $2,000!
5. Start-up Crank Noise: no real long-term solution. But doesn't cause any damage to the engine either, just have to use a heavier weight oil.
Old 07-05-13, 03:03 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus and Toyota cars are for the most part, very reliable. However, there's always a hit-or-miss. I've owned my '07 IS350 for about 3 years now. Been to the dealer many times for check engine lights, water pump, catalytic converters, ECU, and engine rebuild last month. But it's back again at the dealer right now to tear apart the engine again cause it's knocking now. Good thing all of it so far was covered under warranty and they were willing to take the bill on the engine rebuild even though I was a few hundred miles out of warranty. All the parts and labor that went to repair my car probably cost about $12K so far.

But that's the risk everyone takes when buying a used car...
Old 07-05-13, 03:29 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I forget the site (maybe someone can help with that) where you can type in the VIN and see what work has been done at a Lexus dealer.
Its a website most never think of .... www.lexus.com
Old 07-05-13, 04:13 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vapid2323
Its a website most never think of .... www.lexus.com
It's actually: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 07-05-13, 04:19 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Uda880
Same site, you are just more helpful and clicked the button for them
Old 07-05-13, 04:31 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vapid2323
Same site, you are just more helpful and clicked the button for them
I aim to please hahaha
Old 07-05-13, 05:05 PM
alamgirian
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys - I called the Stealership.... so even besides these concerns, if they had been upfront about everything, I probably would have bit the bullet to buy the car.

I was offered the car for $20.5K and it has 29000 miles on it !!!!

But besides the oil leak from gaskets, the VIN number also fell under the initial made IS350s... it is my understanding that there have been TWO oil leak issues... one with the 2006 IS350s with early VINs and then... the other oil leak is even found in 07 and 08s I believe. The second one can be repaired for cheap, but the first one (regardless of how minor oil dripping is), the fix involves taking out the whole engine...

Anyways, the car was 1 owner - It seems that the previous owner tried to sell it once at 17000 miles per Lexus Driver website (took it to dealership - sales Car wiped for SALE), and now again, once it was all out of warranty, the first owner just sold it.

Its a shame he never bought Extended Warranty on the car, even before his reg. warranty ran out - he has had all the recall work done at the dealership, one would think he got the message (master brake cylinder, valve spring, etc)....

I am stuck studying for my boards in few weeks - so I gotto put my car search on hold for now. I just got to get my $5000 credit card advance payment refund. I would rather put that extra $2.5K of extended warranty on top of price paid and look for newer year or a car which did NOT fell under oil problem VINs, while I have the chance.

Not a bad price I got them too, but they were not honest about couple of accidents (which dont show up on carfax BTW), but since it was brought ot dealership it showed up on Lexus Driver website. I did like the feel of IS, so I think I will look for another ***GEM***
Old 07-05-13, 05:07 PM
alamgirian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uda880
What's the price? Depending on how low it is, it could still be a very good deal. Definitely find a reliable, trustworthy independent mechanic around your area, as prices can be rather doable. I had some better luck and decided to go to a highly recommended shop here in SoCal, and the prices have become much more reasonable.

1. Turns out my water pump is fine.
2. Alternator was fine as well. But got a quote regardless, managed to get it down to ~$300
3. Navigation: the indie that I went to fixes several of these navigation units, and has a few DVD drives to spare. Parts + Labor = $500. Word of warning: the malfunctioning drive may be due to replica DVD updates. Yes, I saved money initially, but it may have contributed to the failure, and subsequent repair, of the DVD drive.
4. Had my car inspected again, NO signs of oil leak from the timing chain cover. However, asked about the rates for it, and it came out to be under $2,000!
5. Start-up Crank Noise: no real long-term solution. But doesn't cause any damage to the engine either, just have to use a heavier weight oil.
So people will say Replica's can damage a drive... in theory, is it possible, yes ! - but an optical drive reads the disk - now if you used a quality disc, I have never had ANY drive fail on me. Applying it to car drives, one would think its okay - Its the commercially mass produced CHEAP dvds, or cheap burning writers, which can screw up the DVD drive, because the disks made using them are not optimal - so the reading drive has strain on it...