IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hi.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 06:34 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Sure! Those listed issues are for the "cam gear grind" upon start-up issue. Basically the cam gear loses its lubrication from sitting (especially in the summer heat), and upon start-up the motor has an unappealing "grinding" noise for a second until fresh oil is tossed onto it. With that said, if you search on CL here for "cam rattle", you'll soon see this is common problem throughout the model years...not just the early '06-'07 model years. Hell, on my '06 350 I experience this problem about 5-6 times a year; but have I done anything about it? NOPE! I've read that others having had this issue, had Lexus replace the "bad" cam gears for designed ones, only to return a few months later to say they're still experiencing the issue. The issue is an inherent design flaw I think, and no matter what "designed" parts you throw at the issue, it'll come back. The cure...a fresh oil change; basically when I hear the rattle is when I know it's time to refresh the oil.

With all that said, it is actually very few of these cars that have this problem; and actually not of all of the known issues with the 2IS model, the cam rattle is the only problem I have (which I can ignore).

I purchased my '06 350 (31k miles) with sports pkg w/ NAV back in April '11 for <$21k OTD. So you can find them out there; you'll just have to be patient.
Really? I've been here quite a while and haven't heard of the cam gear rattle issue. I recently noticed a grinding noise at the end of the initial crank up and really thought it to be an issue with the starter. Car cranks normally but I hear a metallic clanking noise afterwards. Sometimes worse than others. I figured it was an issue with the starter drive. Bought the '06 in July of 2010 and paid for the 3 year extended warranty. Freaked out yesterday when it was much more obvious and dug out my paperwork. Turns out the extended is valid through July 14th 2013. Called the local Lexus dealership today and they ordered a new starter for install tomorrow. Let them know that the "extended warranty" is good through Sunday and that I would greatly appreciate them letting me know of any issues that needed to be addressed as soon as possible. I have a $100 deductible with the warranty company and would like to get any issues cleared up while I can. Now not sure if it is the starter or the cam gear issue, but hope it is covered regardless.
Old 07-11-13, 08:26 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Really? I've been here quite a while and haven't heard of the cam gear rattle issue. I recently noticed a grinding noise at the end of the initial crank up and really thought it to be an issue with the starter. Car cranks normally but I hear a metallic clanking noise afterwards. Sometimes worse than others. I figured it was an issue with the starter drive. Bought the '06 in July of 2010 and paid for the 3 year extended warranty. Freaked out yesterday when it was much more obvious and dug out my paperwork. Turns out the extended is valid through July 14th 2013. Called the local Lexus dealership today and they ordered a new starter for install tomorrow. Let them know that the "extended warranty" is good through Sunday and that I would greatly appreciate them letting me know of any issues that needed to be addressed as soon as possible. I have a $100 deductible with the warranty company and would like to get any issues cleared up while I can. Now not sure if it is the starter or the cam gear issue, but hope it is covered regardless.
It's a fairly common issue. Oil starvation via cam gears haven't been shown to produce engine damage (so far, even with people going up to 180K+ miles). There are several youtube videos that you can compare your sound against, but quite honestly, you're most likely hearing the same thing, as there haven't been common reports of the starter crank being problematic.
Old 07-11-13, 08:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Welcome. Please be sure to start with the buyers guide linked in the FAQ at the top of this forum.
Old 07-12-13, 12:44 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
If at all possible, try to replicate the cam grind while there this weekend. Your best bet is having the car sit in the sun all day and have it started up at the peak of the heat of the day. Better have a tech stand by to hear it!

GL!
Old 07-12-13, 02:09 PM
IS350AWD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!!!!!