IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 12:12 PM
Ali6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal or no deal?

Hi guys, I been shopping around for an IS 250 AWD. I couldn't afford the CPO so I was shopping at the regular dealers. Anyway I end up finding a CPO from a Lexus dealer for about $22 listed, the car is 2010, base but with Nav and AWD with almost 50k miles. Of Course they added all sort of fee's etc and its coming up to 24,500 then another like 3k for NYC taxes, tags plates. So that's like 27,500 OTD. I really love the car, but they aren't throwing anything in and they don't want go down on the price. Shouldn't they be throwing something in? I read on the report that the brakes and roaters were changed for the CPO, and recondition the rims. I'm amazed at the BS fee's like the pre delivery inspection and dealer prep (this is my first car, not sure if all of this is normal). Anyway that being said and I do really want the IS, I'm contemplating the TSX, I've seen them listed for around 20k, with Nav. Only down side is that it's I-4 and its not AWD. I've also saw the tech packages ones for like 22k. It's my first car, I don't think having a v6 vs. I-4 will be a huge deal and re-thinking the AWD option, im not sure if If I would even drive in those conditions, but then again its nice to have to option...Thoughts?
Old 07-10-13, 01:51 PM
Ali6
Driver School Candidate

anyone....?
Old 07-10-13, 01:58 PM
is250x
Driver School Candidate

I got an 09 is250 AWD 37,000 miles no navi, for 26,000 just to give you a reference.
I forgot to mention I got 5/yr 100,000 miles warranty for 2,600.
Old 07-10-13, 02:01 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Each state has different fees, some are required and some optional. Look up the fees for your state or ask them directly which ones are legal requirements.

If I am correct, the TSX is front wheel drive which I think is superior to AWD on the the Lexus for snow traction. I would still take the Lexus.

Personally I hate AWD because you get a slower car, but I live in Texas, so my 2 days of snow per year are no big deal.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 07-10-13, 02:46 PM
Laz823
Driver School Candidate

From my experience and my research, I only paid the followings below:

- Car
- Standard delivery fee $895
- Tax + Registration
- Doc fee $80 (vary from state and must by law) However, you can negotiate and have them deduct that amount from the final price of the car and still have in paper stating you paid.

As for pre delivery inspection, dealer prep, and Administrative fees are concerned..

-Unwrapping, clean/ detail wash, and whatever else they have to do to prepare, is already included in the "standard" fee whereas those costs are already covered by LEXUS.

Good luck and Make sure the VIN, or vehicle identification number, on the invoice matches the VIN on your sale paperwork.
Old 07-10-13, 04:13 PM
PACMAN031
Driver

The dealer prep fees should be removed its just carwash and wax and they charge like 1000.00
Old 07-10-13, 05:43 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DKnight350
Each state has different fees, some are required and some optional. Look up the fees for your state or ask them directly which ones are legal requirements.

If I am correct, the TSX is front wheel drive which I think is superior to AWD on the the Lexus for snow traction. I would still take the Lexus.

Personally I hate AWD because you get a slower car, but I live in Texas, so my 2 days of snow per year are no big deal.

Yes the fees per state all differ.

FWD superior to AWD in the snow...? Thats absurd but to each is to his own. AWD & 4WD are and will always better in snow traction its just common sense 4 wheels pushing and pulling a car has a lot more traction in any terrain vs FWD due to understeer. FWD is a cheap alternative to RWD that tends to have better mpg because less stress and friction on the gears.

AWD is slower car because it weighs more, and adds more stress on the gears in the end meaning more mpg consumption.

IMHO look around some more because the best thing you can do is to research and find the car you trully want. There are many lexus is' out there in the market so be patient and dont push because if you do the dealer will twist your ankle with the BS and make you pay more. Dont be afraid to walk out on the sale too. Good luck! Go on to sites like NADA, autotrader, blackbook, and edmunds to help you find a good priced LEXUS that you really want.

PS Acura is nice but they are all FWD cars except for the TL and the suvs. SO performance on an Acura are lacklusters. They have decent gas mpg but you are better off with a lexus because our interiors are very clean and not so many old fashion design (like 20 different buttons and many more even with a Navi/ touch screen) and if you the safety and satisfaction of a very long lasting TOYOTA. (haha Hybrids are not included in the last sentence )
Old 07-15-13, 07:10 AM
Ali6
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Update......I kept shopping around, finding not much more at a better deal. At the end of the day I felt comfortable with the mileage and the condition of the car, although the dealer didn't want to budge on the price, and it was mostly the taxes that made me unhappy but you can't do anything about that...so....I went for the jump and now own a 2010 AWD IS.
Old 07-15-13, 11:59 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn. Congrats man!
Old 07-15-13, 01:57 PM
Ali6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InspireME
Damn. Congrats man!
Thanks! I got black on black, looks so sexy. I want to get the Viper alarm system installed tomorrow. I really don't want it sitting around with no protection, and hopefully put on some tints soon too.
Old 07-15-13, 02:23 PM
Ali6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250x
I got an 09 is250 AWD 37,000 miles no navi, for 26,000 just to give you a reference.
I forgot to mention I got 5/yr 100,000 miles warranty for 2,600.
Yeah after shopping around, I got a better sense of what they were going for.

Originally Posted by DKnight350

NY Winters are crazy, sometimes that AWD does make a difference. I've seen cars on my block stuck for hours, poor guys spend the entire morning trying to get out one spot.

Originally Posted by Laz823
From my experience and my research, I only paid the followings below:

- Car
- Standard delivery fee $895
- Tax + Registration
- Doc fee $80 (vary from state and must by law) However, you can negotiate and have them deduct that amount from the final price of the car and still have in paper stating you paid.

As for pre delivery inspection, dealer prep, and Administrative fees are concerned..

-Unwrapping, clean/ detail wash, and whatever else they have to do to prepare, is already included in the "standard" fee whereas those costs are already covered by LEXUS.

Good luck and Make sure the VIN, or vehicle identification number, on the invoice matches the VIN on your sale paperwork.
Thanks, I did keep that in mind. I got the car in NJ and good thing paying attention to the paper work, they have this odometer paper that you are verify the right amount and it was off by a few miles. A few but still, it was off.

Originally Posted by PACMAN031
The dealer prep fees should be removed its just carwash and wax and they charge like 1000.00
I felt the same way!!

Originally Posted by azfsprt
Yes the fees per state all differ.

FWD superior to AWD in the snow...? Thats absurd but to each is to his own. AWD & 4WD are and will always better in snow traction its just common sense 4 wheels pushing and pulling a car has a lot more traction in any terrain vs FWD due to understeer. FWD is a cheap alternative to RWD that tends to have better mpg because less stress and friction on the gears.

AWD is slower car because it weighs more, and adds more stress on the gears in the end meaning more mpg consumption.

IMHO look around some more because the best thing you can do is to research and find the car you trully want. There are many lexus is' out there in the market so be patient and dont push because if you do the dealer will twist your ankle with the BS and make you pay more. Dont be afraid to walk out on the sale too. Good luck! Go on to sites like NADA, autotrader, blackbook, and edmunds to help you find a good priced LEXUS that you really want.

PS Acura is nice but they are all FWD cars except for the TL and the suvs. SO performance on an Acura are lacklusters. They have decent gas mpg but you are better off with a lexus because our interiors are very clean and not so many old fashion design (like 20 different buttons and many more even with a Navi/ touch screen) and if you the safety and satisfaction of a very long lasting TOYOTA. (haha Hybrids are not included in the last sentence )
I felt the same way about the Acuras, what pushed me over to the Lexus side a lot was that they hold their value. In all honestly, I sat down in the TSX, and right away I knew I liked the IS better.