IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Coins in Gear Shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 02:40 PM
cederquist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coins in Gear Shift

Someone slammed into my 2013 IS 250 25 days after I bought it. There were some loose coins in the car and they went down into the gear shift box. The car is at the body shop to be repaired; but the people at the shop don't seem to think this is important enough to get the coins out. I'm worried that it might cause damage.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-13, 04:02 PM
had_to
Driver School Candidate

I'd freak out. It's your car...they should respond to your request whether they "think" it'll cause damage or not. There was a thread not too long ago where someone was having the same kind of trouble with their home dealership and they got in touch with lexus corporate and the dealership ended up fixing everything. Wish I could remember who it was. I'd try calling another dealership's service department and see what they think. Of course if something happens later on they'd be liable as long as you could prove it was there and they chose not to fix it after it was brought to their attention.
Old 07-15-13, 06:16 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

If the accident caused the coins to enter the shifting mech, then they need to fix it! WTH are the insurance companies paying them for? FIX THE ISSUES!
Old 07-15-13, 08:19 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Your car is an auto? If it fell down the center console / armrest area, you would just have to take it apart a little to fish out the coins. It would only take like 10 minutes.

Old 07-16-13, 07:35 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

See above and remove them. It is super simple to do.
Old 07-16-13, 11:59 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude in the video should've removed those side panels first just incase the console is actually pressing up on one of those panels. if that console presses on the side panel you wont really know and break something by prying the hell out of it...
Old 07-16-13, 06:37 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

yup remove the two grey side piller by pulling towards you then grab the edge between the ash tray and pull up
Old 07-16-13, 07:18 PM
cederquist
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks Very Very Much

Last night I read your answers and watched the YouTube video and thought about doing it if I couldn't get the repair shop to do it; but then I thought of what one of the first posts said and decided to make a stronger stand to have the shop do the repair since this was part of an accident claim which the shop was already getting over $7,000.

This morning I called my insurance company and told them of my problem with the body shop. They said that they would have my adjuster call them. I then called the shop again and told them my adjuster would be calling them for a quote; and, then, most importantly I called my dealership who recommended the place since they use it for their work and they called the owner of the shop to tell him my problem with their employee. The receptionist at the body shop called me back laughing and said that the work will now be done by them.

Thanks again for all of the help; and I am going to keep that YouTube video for reference if and when I need to retrieve coins under other circumstances.

You all are wonderful. Thanks for being here.