IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

anyone paint their rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 11:08 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep indeed, a lot of Canadians have the stuff shipped to the border and pick it up in higher quantities to resell here.

I wouldn't plastidip wheels. Cheap alternative, but the cheapness shows. Do it once and do it right, get them powdercoated instead. Its easy to get a mirror black finish when powdercoating; not so when you plastidip.
Old 10-10-13, 11:32 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

powder coat FTW!!!!
Attached Thumbnails anyone paint their rims-gr2.jpg  
Old 10-10-13, 12:34 PM
alee350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plasti dip sucks imo fades and peels overtime if not done correctly in most cases. I would recommend powdercoating but also depends on the material the rim is made of cause powder uses heat and that can weaken the wheel and could be dangerous. I would just bring it to a paint shop for a safe professional result....
Old 10-10-13, 01:14 PM
510to808
Pole Position

plasti dip if your on a budget... powdercoat if you don't give a *****, and or buy new rims and get them powdercoated lol
Old 10-10-13, 06:19 PM
ISMELLRICE
Rookie

Nothing wrong with spray paint
Id rather spray paint than plastidip it only took me 2.5hrs
Old 10-10-13, 06:26 PM
sm1ke
Racer

^^ That's probably because you didn't prep them properly. It does look good, but one small nick will chip the paint and cause it to start flaking.
Old 10-10-13, 07:23 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Nice I was thinking about doing mine too
Old 10-11-13, 02:10 AM
ISMELLRICE
Rookie

Originally Posted by sm1ke
^^ That's probably because you didn't prep them properly. It does look good, but one small nick will chip the paint and cause it to start flaking.
Sanded 120-320, worked on all thebcurb rash, and still will last longer than plastidip and if you wanta differnt color later just repeat the process
Old 10-11-13, 06:34 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE
Sanded 120-320, worked on all thebcurb rash, and still will last longer than plastidip and if you wanta differnt color later just repeat the process
Oh no, I agree with you in that spray paint is better than plastidip, I just thought you didn't prep the wheels properly. 2.5 hours to sand, clean, paint and clearcoat seems very.. ambitious. My cousin and I did his RSX wheels and it took us about 3.5 hours to sand, clean, primer, and paint his wheels.
Old 10-11-13, 10:32 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

IMO -
If you are going to powder coat, you might as well just get new wheels (unless your in love with the stock wheel design - or you aren't able to find a aftermarket wheel color your happy with)

Powder coat puts your car down for a while (doesn't affect me, but may others that only have 1 car). You have to pull the wheels off, take them to a tire shop to dismount tires, then drop off at powder coat, pick back up at powder coat, then take back to mount/balance, then install. The end result is beautiful, but I personally don't have time for this. It's not cost effective especially if you consider your time = money. I'd rather use the $$ towards a new set of wheels and only set me back 1 hour of time.
There are some ghetto plasti-dip and rattle can jobs out there, but if you take your time and prep properly, spray properly, pay attention to humidity and temperature, most people can't tell the difference between PC and paint.
My experience
On my off-road rig, I rattle canned the beadlocks/bumpers/sliders with the professional grade flat black rustoleum. After about a year+, I get a few chips here and there (this is a rig that is on gravel 75% of its life though). I could really care less since it's the off road rig. I just walk up to the thing and re-spray them once a year. Takes about 2 minutes and they look new again lol.
I've also sprayed painted our Xterra wheels - which I was pleasantly surprised looks completely factory - every single person that saw them after I painted them asked when we got new wheels. After telling them I spray painted them - nobody believed me.
This is the only picture I have of the spray painted Xterra wheels - (around a year or so - and still perfect - zero chips or wear)
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a very good example of my neighbors plastidip job - that only held up about a two weeks. He didn't clean the wheels before spraying. You HAVE to have a clean surface to mate to. I use rubbing alcohol.
[IMG][/IMG]

The difference between a ****ty spray job, and a good spray job, can be worlds apart.

Here is my rattle-can didn't care about final result spray job on the offroad rig -
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by FI4runner; 10-11-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 10:29 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Gorgeous

EDIT:
I knew something was wrong...$45 for 3 cans? They are 6 bucks at home depot.
They cost 15 bucks up north?
yeah we get waped on pretty much everything up here. don't even talk to me about the price of premium fuel haha.
Old 10-24-13, 09:31 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

These are going to be my winter wheels, OEM 2006-2008 17 inchers. Still a work in progress, but here is the inside before, I try to clean the inside of my wheels thoroughly inside and out once a year when I switch between summer and winter; I don't think the inside of these had EVER been cleaned. No amount of degreaser would take this off, the caked on brake dust had to be sand blasted:

After:

Pictures of the finished outside, these wheels were also curbed BADLY:

Last edited by WylieKylie; 10-25-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 10:55 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

^ ^ ^

Looks good... What color did you use? Is that a spray paint?
Old 10-25-13, 11:05 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Those look good Wylie. What spray paint did you use?

I am considering powder coating my wheel but someone said I have to dismount it and remount it after it is done. Sounds like a real PITA. I might just plasti dip it instead. Is there a glossy black for plasti dip?
Old 10-25-13, 11:16 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Those look good Wylie. What spray paint did you use?

I am considering powder coating my wheel but someone said I have to dismount it and remount it after it is done. Sounds like a real PITA. I might just plasti dip it instead. Is there a glossy black for plasti dip?
They don't have gloss black, but there is a glossifier clearcoat you can spray on that makes it glossy.

Quick Reply: anyone paint their rims