IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DDM TUNNING HID KIT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 06:47 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dong888
I had DDM tuning kit (ballast the bulb only, nothing extra) and the ballast failed within 2 years. The light output is actually nice when it worked. It's brighter than the curren 3five morrimoto kit from TRS, but maybe that's why it failed early?

The bottom line is DDM tuning could be hit or miss. Their price point is unbeatable. The question you ask yourself now is whether you have a lot of time. If the time of changing the kit is no problem to you, you can go with DDM tuning which costed me $40 for the kit. If it fails, buy another set. My Morrimoto kit costed $120 after discount and comes with 5 year warranty. Customer service from TRS is superb. Customer service from DDM is non-existant. Don't bother with the life-time warranty. They don't answer to you.

If DDM cost $40 for 2 years, then $120 can buy 3 kits and last for 6 years which beats TRS 3five kit.

For me, time is more important so I opted for a more reliable kit from TRS. It took me 2 hours to install DDM kit and 6 hours to install 3Five kit. 3Five kit has a relay system which takes more time, but makes ballast last longer. IS350 is very tight in the engine bay so installation without removing the bumper could be more difficult.
TRS customer service is phenomenon.

I didn't use the relay since it's a Jap car and not having any issues...but damn 6 hours to install that's crazy. I installed both my non-relay-harness-ed HID kits in like half hour to 45 minutes....and on the GF's mini cooper which I used the relay I installed in about an hour...here's the thing.....I'm not getting ANY error on a German bi-xenon

But definitely agree with what you say, either buy cheap and cross your fingers (if it last 5 years then you're good), or buy quality once and not have to worry.
For me, I didn't want to go through hassle of purchasing from the States for something with such high failure rate and then have to pay international shipping for a non-existent warranty.
Few friends did a groupbuy together of DDM kit back when I was in school, and thank God I didn't join...many of them failed within 1 year...maybe due to cold climate of Canada or just faulty product, who knows.

They have purchased some cheap eBay kits and I'm anxious to see the result of their head to head comparisons and stress tests

Here is a short stress test of their product alone for anyone interested:

Last edited by reyoasian; 08-10-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-10-13, 10:22 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ddm kits on both my car and my bike and they work awesome, no complaints what so ever. Ive noticed that most of the people who have DDM kits and say they suck are people who are lowered on stiff coils and their ballast are not mounted properly. when you have a ballast bouncing around the engine bay/bumper constantly, they tend to break over time. Mount them properly and your good with any HID's. I had xentec in my car a few years ago and they lasted about 3 years and only got them for 50 bucks

and when it comes to HID kits, 30 bucks for a year or 2 is pretty good IMO. about the life span of an average halogen bulb. so either way its an expense your going to have to pay. Im not gonna pay 150 for something that is water proof or fire proof because the only way you are gonna test to see if it works is if you drive your car into a pool or set it on fire and TA-DA, you still have lights but a destroyed car.

Plus DDM offers lifetime warranty so if something goes bad, call em up/send them an email and they replace it for only the price of shipping which is like 8 bucks. to me, its worth it in the end. Its hard enough finding a reputable HID company with a warranty like that anyway.
Old 08-10-13, 12:49 PM
VIPIs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my kit today! ballast & bulbs only. We will see how it works out. Thanks everyone for their feedback!
Old 08-10-13, 02:54 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an HID kit on my old mazda3 before from DDM and not a single problem. Got their D4S bulbs for the IS and it burnt my OEM ballasts out. Replaced them and got burnt again so I ended up buying a pair of Xenon Depot bulbs and no problem. My sister also has a DDM HID kit for her Corolla and there is a problem every other week. Already replaced the ballasts once and the lights twice in less than a year.

I will not buy HIDs from DDM again but it seems like a hit or miss kinda thing. The only thing I'll purchase from them are LEDs.
Old 08-10-13, 04:14 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive ran there LEDS for 4+ years and have had no issues at all. got them in headlights and fogs