IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A/C in the Summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 05:26 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C in the Summer

My A/C in the 90+ degree heat doesn't seem to keep the car cool when driving (car is garaged when not driving). It does a good job when it's at 70 degrees and blasting at high speeds, but when it's at 70 degrees on the lowest speed, it doesn't keep the interior as cool like it would on the faster setting or in my family's other Toyotas (which have ice cold air at all speed settings). My old man thinks that the '07 Lexus A/C isn't as strong as his '99 Camry's. Otherwise, during the fall and spring the A/C is cold enough to make my gf wear a light jacket (like if she went to a movie theater).

I'm planning on tinting my windows within the next week or two and will probably see a bit of heat reduction in the interior and hopefully keeping me cool without putting any or additional strain on the A/C.

I'm open to any thoughts, inputs, or suggestions. Thanks for reading
Old 08-12-13, 05:36 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a good Idea to tint your car, I too have a IS250 the A/C is never cold enough for my taste. I recently went into vegas and it was 120 outside and my A/C did not do well at all but that's possibly because I was setting in traffic. That's just how are car's are made I guess my infiniti has super cold A/C in any condition.
Old 08-12-13, 06:29 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

What temperature do you guys set it to? I found that it's pretty cold setting it to 76 on auto. When it gets cool inside the car, the AC does blow less cold air, which is what should happen since it shouldn't get any colder than what's set to.
Old 08-12-13, 06:31 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

mine too...and i was wondering the same thing. someone told me i may need more freon in my car?........is there any truth to this?
Old 08-13-13, 08:54 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

My 2011 IS350 does fine in the 100+ degree Dallas heat, but when cycling it is horrible. I know the AC cycles on and off so it does not "freeze up". In other vehicles I never notice this, but on my IS, the air becomes humid with a light scent that makes it super noticeable.

This is pretty weak for what the car costs. I understand during hard acceleration that this might happen, but not under normal conditions.
Old 08-13-13, 09:15 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is 125 Degrees in here lol

and I don't have a garage.

My AC takes 10 minutes to cool the car and I am ok with that
Old 08-13-13, 10:56 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vicsis250
I think it's a good Idea to tint your car, I too have a IS250 the A/C is never cold enough for my taste. I recently went into vegas and it was 120 outside and my A/C did not do well at all but that's possibly because I was setting in traffic. That's just how are car's are made I guess my infiniti has super cold A/C in any condition.
I'm getting the windows tinted today and see how it feels after I give the tint time to set onto the windows.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
What temperature do you guys set it to? I found that it's pretty cold setting it to 76 on auto. When it gets cool inside the car, the AC does blow less cold air, which is what should happen since it shouldn't get any colder than what's set to.
I have it at 70 degrees not on auto with the dual zone feature on and the air flowing out of the vents is constant.

Originally Posted by aspeckt
mine too...and i was wondering the same thing. someone told me i may need more freon in my car?........is there any truth to this?
Freon is needed only if the car doesn't feel as cold as it's advertised (i.e. you set the car to 72 and the car is blasting 77~80). Best way to check that is with an IR thermometer (or a laser thermometer).

Originally Posted by DKnight350
My 2011 IS350 does fine in the 100+ degree Dallas heat, but when cycling it is horrible. I know the AC cycles on and off so it does not "freeze up". In other vehicles I never notice this, but on my IS, the air becomes humid with a light scent that makes it super noticeable.

This is pretty weak for what the car costs. I understand during hard acceleration that this might happen, but not under normal conditions.
Huh, interesting. My A/C doesn't have any noticeable scent or humidity change when the A/C cycles.

Originally Posted by See5
It is 125 Degrees in here lol

and I don't have a garage.

My AC takes 10 minutes to cool the car and I am ok with that
Oh wow. You're definitely a trooper. I wouldn't even take 5 mins of that.
Old 08-13-13, 11:39 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

My wife's SIenna has ARCTIC AC in any situation.

I generally keep my temp at 76 or 75 in the summer and always keep in on AUTO. I figure on AUTO, the car will do what is needed to maintain the temps. I am now thinking I should take mine in to be checked for the AC cycling...

Side note: does tint really effect the interior temps? I thought the reason Lexus does not offer privacy glass is because all the "radiation limiting stuff" is already in our clear glass? My tinted windows are way hotter because the dark color absorbs the heat of the sun.
Old 08-13-13, 06:41 PM
Adamm
Driver School Candidate

I've had similar issues with my A/C as well maybe I will take it to get serviced and see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-14-13, 06:04 PM
Kannabis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DKnight350

i'm in Florida and mine does this exact same thing too. I thought there was something wrong with my AC and was planning to have it checked at my next service interval. I feel somewhat relieved that it's normal but totally agree this should not be happening and its pretty embarrassing on a +$30k car. My buddies 2012 Camry AC is ice cold even when it's over 100 degrees out.
Old 08-14-13, 06:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tint helps a lot. I would suggest a windshield screen for when you park for an extended time. Cabin filter is clean?
Old 08-14-13, 06:12 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Must be something wrong with your car.I'm in florida, and I cannot keep my car above medium power at 60 degree because it's blowing so cold that it's freezing. I only used HI once to cool out the car as it sat in the 100 degree outside but after 3-5 min I had to move that low.
Old 08-14-13, 08:36 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
tint helps a lot. I would suggest a windshield screen for when you park for an extended time. Cabin filter is clean?
Just got the tint installed on the car yesterday, Solar Gard High Performance tint 35% all around. I'm waiting for the tint to properly adhere to the windows (that distorted look when you first install tint) so that I can see if that helps (got another day or two left before I can touch, roll down, and clean the inside of the windows). I'm thinking about getting one (windshield screen), luckily the university I attend has parking garages and I always park in the garage. Yep, cabin air filter is clean; just installed the filter a few months back with the carbon in the filter.

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Must be something wrong with your car.I'm in florida, and I cannot keep my car above medium power at 60 degree because it's blowing so cold that it's freezing. I only used HI once to cool out the car as it sat in the 100 degree outside but after 3-5 min I had to move that low.
It's too soon to tell, the A/C works fine but on the slowest setting it doesn't seem to keep the car cool in the heat (once at a comfortable interior temperature). I switch the car to Auto or the button next to the Off button (Navagation equipped IS, button looks like air going through a filter with a person in front of it) and let it cool the car as fast as it can before switching it to low.
Attached Thumbnails A/C in the Summer-2013-08-13-17.05.05.jpg   A/C in the Summer-2013-08-14-09.51.00.jpg  
Old 08-14-13, 10:00 PM
Chuy250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Yea that is the same thing I do 76 on auto. It works fine, but in socal doesn't get too hot like other places. What where you stay at?