IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 06:29 PM
MilehighIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350 Value

So I already have my IS300 but I was considering getting another IS for my wife. Recently the owner of the company I work for blew the motor (it is locked up according to his local Lexus dealer) is his 06' IS350. It is Grey with Black Leather interior, Navigation, Sport Package, & Levinson Audio. I am throwing around buying it and replacing the motor. The car has 131k on it. He is the original owner and has had Lexus do all of the maintenance on it.

I'm not a very experienced with the values of these cars and was hoping I could get some opinions if possible.

How much do you think its worth like it sits?

How difficult is a motor swap?

Does someone sell a brand new motor minus Lexus?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-13, 06:36 PM
Davidcv4
Driver

Purchasing any vehicle where the motor does not function at all can be tricky because it might not be the motor that failed initially, but instead other factors that led to engine failure such as overheating for example. Blue Book always works for car value. I would contact the dealer for part numbers just so you can see the pricing on what you will have to replace in the motor and then compare final numbers with quotes for complete swaps
Old 08-22-13, 06:46 PM
MilehighIS
Driver School Candidate

KBB shows the private party value of the car in "Good" condition as $14400.

NADA shows the retail Value as $17300 and the trade value as $14700 (clean).

I've been searching around for a different motor, but had no luck yet. I would guess Lexus will be priced farily high compared to buying a motor out of a wrecked car.
Old 08-23-13, 11:55 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Well, since he is the owner of the company you work for, ask him what he thinks the car is worth now in it's currenty state. I'd hate for you to low-ball him and him take offense to it and hold it against you. LOL!

You can get a good, low-mileage 350 motor for <$4k shipped. You are then left with the option to take on the engine swap yourself or have a shop do it. Personally, if you have a current mode of transportation AND have a garage...I'd take it on myself to save money.

Depending what the owner says, you could have a sweet deal on your hands there!

GL!
Old 08-23-13, 12:47 PM
MilehighIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Well, since he is the owner of the company you work for, ask him what he thinks the car is worth now in it's currenty state. I'd hate for you to low-ball him and him take offense to it and hold it against you. LOL!

You can get a good, low-mileage 350 motor for <$4k shipped. You are then left with the option to take on the engine swap yourself or have a shop do it. Personally, if you have a current mode of transportation AND have a garage...I'd take it on myself to save money.

Depending what the owner says, you could have a sweet deal on your hands there!

GL!
Can ask where you find the motors at so I can nail the price down?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-13, 05:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like too much work unless you're a mechanic.
Old 08-23-13, 06:41 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
i was coming to the exact same conclusion
Old 08-23-13, 06:44 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by MilehighIS
Can ask where you find the motors at so I can nail the price down?

Thanks!
It's this new thing called the internet. LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself. But honestly, Google Lexus IS350 motor or 2GR-FSE and look for parts yards/wrecker yard/wholesalers in your area. You also have ebay of course and Craigslist. But just consider that fact that most motors more than likely won't be from your local area.

GL!
Old 08-25-13, 07:18 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
it may look like a lot of work but on a rear wheel drive vehicle replacing the engine is very simple.
Old 08-25-13, 07:28 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So the car has 131K miles on it, "all" maintenance done by Lexus from the original owner and....then engine blew? unless you are a experience lexus mechanic I would stay away from it; unless, he gives it to you for free.
Old 08-25-13, 08:31 AM
MilehighIS
Driver School Candidate

It's this new thing called the internet. LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself. But honestly, Google Lexus IS350 motor or 2GR-FSE and look for parts yards/wrecker yard/wholesalers in your area. You also have ebay of course and Craigslist. But just consider that fact that most motors more than likely won't be from your local area.

GL!
Should have seen that one coming. I did do some searching on eBay, craigslist, and Google but didn't come up with many options. I thought maybe, there was a specific place you were talking about as you seemed to know how much they cost. I did not find a motor for <$4k through any of these searches.

He put the car up for sale for $7000 and told me he would sale it to me for $5800. If I could find a motor for around $4k, I don't think it would be worth it. Especially when you can get one for roughly $12k running.

Last edited by MilehighIS; 08-26-13 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 04:44 PM
Gville350

If the ONLY thing WRONG with the car is the engine, then it is worth it (to me at least). Since you two are "close", have him show you the car up-close and cycle through the electronics within the car. If everything works and only the motor is toast...swap in a good one! Like what was stated above, it really isn't that difficult...as long as you have the space/tools/general know-how/ and organized. But of course, you do have the option of having a local place do the install for you. I'd recommend a Toyota/Lexus/import shop to do the work.

Here are some sites online where you can source good, used motors...but of course you will have to pay to they shipped :

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/le...d_engines.html

http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/e...0-engines.html

http://www.partshotlines.com/parts/l...-assembly.html

http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...inventory.html

http://www.used-auto-engines.com/use...350-store.html

GL!

Last edited by Gville350; 08-25-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 05:29 AM
MilehighIS
Driver School Candidate

If the ONLY thing WRONG with the car is the engine, then it is worth it (to me at least). Since you two are "close", have him show you the car up-close and cycle through the electronics within the car. If everything works and only the motor is toast...swap in a good one! Like what was stated above, it really isn't that difficult...as long as you have the space/tools/general know-how/ and organized. But of course, you do have the option of having a local place do the install for you. I'd recommend a Toyota/Lexus/import shop to do the work.

Here are some sites online where you can source good, used motors...but of course you will have to pay to they shipped :

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/le...d_engines.html

http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/e...0-engines.html

http://www.partshotlines.com/parts/l...-assembly.html

http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...inventory.html

http://www.used-auto-engines.com/use...350-store.html

GL!
Well, looks like my search skills aren't very good. lol Thank a lot. This makes me feel a lot better. I've replaced a few different motors and have the storage and tools to get the job done. I was more worried about finding the actual engine.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-13, 07:11 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

FWIW I just bought a

06' IS350
70k miles
Premium and Sport package(s) - nav, backup cam, parking sensors, ML sound, etc etc
18" rims with snow tires
19" rims with summer tires
car was spotless, 3 sets of floormats, all the service records, etc...
I paid 17k out the door (including TTL)

.... not apples to apples, but just an idea of what a non-blown engine 06' is going for
Old 08-26-13, 08:06 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So if you can do the work yourself then I would do it. I personaly would do it if I was in your shoes. Hell I wish this deal would have came up when I was shopping for an IS350 as I would have taken it over my current IS350 if everything on the car is perfect minus the engine.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS350 Value