IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fake seller and member

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 01:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont ever use paypal gift for someone you dont trust. I only use paypal gift for family members and friends
Old 08-27-13, 01:32 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Optochu
why? paypal not responsible for gift? if non-gift paypal might get your money back?
Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Gifting money paypal claims no part of. And yes if you send it regular paypal protects you. Gifting is kinda like sending money to a family member or transferring from your paypal to say a business account.
Originally Posted by reyoasian
if you do regular paypal transaction and pay the 3%, you're protected for 40 days
Originally Posted by PumaFiveOh
Exactly, why do you think PayPal takes a percentage of the payment....because they are offering a service and some protection for the buyer/seller.

If you give someone money as a 'GIFT', then you are saying that nothing was actually purchased. So PayPal doesn't take a cut of the money, and in return they don't offer any type of insurance.

I can't give you money as a gift, then file a complaint saying you never shipped me my product. PayPal will just look at the transaction type and say, well it's a gift, we don't see you purchasing anything. Hope that cleared it up...
Yup, no "buyer" protection for gifted money. I would call paypal ASAP and see if there is anything they can do
Old 08-27-13, 01:32 PM
draketodd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Sorry to hear man. Most people here on CL are legit and nice people - but you always get those certain few who will join just to try and make a quick buck Hope paypal gets you your money back!
Everyone I have met of CL have been legit. But you are correct there is always one. I used my paypal smart connect account and they said they will give him 10 days to refund my money or they will cover the payment.
Old 08-27-13, 01:33 PM
draketodd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob4256
Yup, no "buyer" protection for gifted money. I would call paypal ASAP and see if there is anything they can do
Called them and they said they would give him 10 days to refund my money or they will cover the payment.
Old 08-27-13, 01:33 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by draketodd
You know I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering why he was selling and also looking for the items. But greed took over and I needed the item. I mean he would pass on a 2nd gen flyaudio for $350.
seems like he was pretending to buy just to get some photos, then use those photos to sell
Old 08-27-13, 01:50 PM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow thats crazy. hopefully you will get your money back. I think the For sale section should be more strict. You should have at least 50 valid post in order to sell something. That way we can weed out ppl who are just here to sell and dissappear. Also when selling something the seller should put thier name/username and date on a piece of paper infront of the item. Hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 08-27-13, 01:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not that anyone spends time reading these forum rules, but so you should know...

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

1) Review their feedback in iTrader and in the buyer/seller feedback forum.

2) Ask for detailed pictures and condition description to be posted if not provided. Get full size, well lit images of the items and close ups of any blemishes to reviiew before buying.

3) Ask for a 'vouch' from another member for the seller or the item being sold if its of substantial value.

4) Search on posts by sellers to see what they've bought/sold in the past. Were there any issues other people posted about? PM somebody else who bought something big from them in the past to see if it turned out OK.

5) Do some research on the person using the information you have available. Have they been a member on ClubLexus long? Do they just sell stuff or do they really participate (so that people might know them better)? Did they post about having problems with the item they're now selling?

6) Request contact information from the seller and test them where possible (get name, phone #s, physical and and email addresses) to make sure they work as a way to get in touch with them.

7) Have someone local to the seller on CL check out the merchandise for you if it's a big/expensive item. Make sure it's what is claimed and in the described condition. If they'll do it, see if they will even see it get boxed up and shipped to you.

8) Insist on carrying full insurance on fragile items that are shipped. Have the seller describe the way they will pack the item if you're really concerned; request 'before shipping' pictures to protect both of you. Ship items with companies that provide tracking capability for the package.

9) Document your transaction publicly on the forum. If a seller insists on communicating only via PM or email be suspicious. If the seller does not post a 'item sold' once you've sent payment, we suggest that the buyer proactively post something like 'payment sent' on the forum so that if the seller has intentions of promising the item to multiple buyers and running off with their money that other buyers are alerted earlier. We suggest you 'quote' the original post of the seller so that their comments are captured and cannot be edited once sold to you.
from the Classified Forum Rules.

OP, sorry to hear about what you're going through. it's unfortunate that it takes an incident like this to remind everyone to exercise caution with forum transactions.
Old 08-27-13, 02:04 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully your cc company or paypal refunds your money. Good luck OP.

Club Lexus is a great community with awesome members. I've been lucky enough that everyone I've come in contact with or had transactions with have been friendly, honest and legit.

There is always one or two bad apples in the barrel, you just have to weed them out.
Old 08-27-13, 02:05 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Wow thats crazy. hopefully you will get your money back. I think the For sale section should be more strict. You should have at least 50 valid post in order to sell something. That way we can weed out ppl who are just here to sell and dissappear. Also when selling something the seller should put thier name/username and date on a piece of paper infront of the item. Hopefully everything works out for you.
you need 30 posts and have account 30 days old to post in classified
however he did not post in there

he simply contacted in private people who have FS threads to get info and pics
then contact people who have WTB threads and try to sell u in private

Last edited by reyoasian; 08-27-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 02:16 PM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-27-13, 02:40 PM
Optochu
Rookie

Originally Posted by PumaFiveOh
Exactly, why do you think PayPal takes a percentage of the payment....because they are offering a service and some protection for the buyer/seller.

If you give someone money as a 'GIFT', then you are saying that nothing was actually purchased. So PayPal doesn't take a cut of the money, and in return they don't offer any type of insurance.

I can't give you money as a gift, then file a complaint saying you never shipped me my product. PayPal will just look at the transaction type and say, well it's a gift, we don't see you purchasing anything. Hope that cleared it up...
Originally Posted by reyoasian
if you do regular paypal transaction and pay the 3%, you're protected for 40 days
i see. thanks for clarifying.

so under regular paypal, if i pay without getting the product, paypal will refund 100%? what's to stop people from fruading (product received but claim not received?)
Old 08-27-13, 03:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Optochu
i see. thanks for clarifying.

so under regular paypal, if i pay without getting the product, paypal will refund 100%? what's to stop people from fruading (product received but claim not received?)
the seller would probably provide proof of delivery for said item so the money doesn't get withdrawn from seller's PayPal account.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/p...y-and-security

sending funds via PayPal as "paying for goods or services" (vs. "sending money to family or friends") qualifies you for Buyer/Seller Protection against fraudulent claims.

it's not 100% foolproof, and there are limits to PayPal's protection, but at least there's some peace of mind there.

it's all about taking the right precautions and not trying to save a couple of bucks of PayPal fees. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 08-27-13, 03:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Folks please use itrader for feedback on sales gone bad. We take action on each or those to try to help resolve.

I'll be reaching out to this member as well as the two other Ids that share his IP address and have suspended his classified access until this gets resolved.