IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clutch Noise IS250

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 01:07 AM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Noise IS250

Hi everyone, just bought a 2006 IS250 SE Manual with 30k on the clock, love it, looks and drives like a dream but one tiny thing bothering me a little bit - I've noticed when I'm sitting in the car on a quiet road and the windows are closed, the car is in neutral theres a slight whirring noise which completely disappears when I press the clutch all the way to the floor. It's not loud or anything at all, the car drives fine, changes gears fine etc, it's only when it is idling in neutral that this very low noise can be heard, however when I press the clutch all the way down the car is so quiet I can barely hear the engine it sounds like it is off!

Just a few charecteristics to help you guys diagnose the issue (or maybe it is just in my head!!!

Noise is like a very low "whir" almost like air con switched on to the lowest setting (no it's not the air con! :P )
It can't be heard from the outside no matter where you listen from... under the car, under the bonnet, next to the car - it sounds completely normal and no difference can really be heard between clutch in and clutch out.
As far as I can tell there's no noise when it's in gear and I'm driving.
If it's in neutral and the car is still and idling, I can depress the clutch and slip it into any gear very smooth and without and noise, however when I'm driving and I depress the clutch then try to shift and put the gear **** "almost into gear" - not quite sticking it in I hear a little sound which is like something is rubbing, not metal clanking like when you miss a gear but more soft.

I've read up and seen that it might be the release bearing or the slave cylinder but I've watched videos on youtube and mine doesn't sound anywhere near of the same charecteristic or loudness! Like previously mentioned it's only got 30k on the clock and everything else is like a dream, just this little thing that's bugging me - but perhaps it is just in my head and I am pursuing perfection a bit too far!

The noise is inaudible during the day on busy roads or even when the radio is turned up just a tiny bit...only on quiet roads during the day or on very quiet roads at night...

Someone please tell me I've gone crazy!

Many thanks in advance
Old 09-03-13, 05:05 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

are you referring to the "jar of marbles" noise?
Old 09-03-13, 10:33 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta live with it.
Old 09-04-13, 02:16 AM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Nah, not even jar of marbles, more like air con working on 1st or 2nd fan speed... it's definetely there with the clutch up when i'm on a quiet road, but when the coolant fans kick in i cant hear it and i cant hear it when i'm at lights during the day, i pretty much can't hear it anytime unless all the windows are up and its a very quite road.

all else is smooth, quiet gear changes etc.

sod it, like liqB said... I'll just live with it as I love the car, everything is dope, but I'll just turn up the stereo to drown the noise.

By the way thanks for the replies guys...wish I could see your dope Lex's in the US! In London we don't have that many modded ones!
Old 09-04-13, 07:44 AM
Scless
Rookie

Sounds like your throw out bearing making a whirl noise? Anyone chime in?? But with only 30k it shouldn't wearing out. Unless the previous owner(s) rode the clutch.
Old 09-04-13, 09:15 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

^^^ +1 what he said
Old 09-04-13, 09:34 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

thats not the jar of marbles noice. What he's probably hearing is the throwout bearing which makes noise when the car is in neutral with the clutch depressed.
Old 09-04-13, 11:12 AM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

If it is the bearing I guess I'll have to replace the whole clutch? It's not really bothering me, I can live with it, how long till it starts going real bad? If it stays how it is I really don't mind it. Car is still smooth and you really have to listen to hear it. Plus I don't think it's damaging anything is it? Let me know guys, thanks for the useful replies so far. Interesting to read them as some people think that noise is normal for the is250 and some say its the bearing... Maybe it's normal but just a noisy bearing?
Old 09-04-13, 11:52 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the noise in my 2007 6mt and I just lived with it. Then again I hate taking my car to the dealer and trust my independent mechanic before them.
Old 09-04-13, 01:52 PM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
thats not the jar of marbles noice. What he's probably hearing is the throwout bearing which makes noise when the car is in neutral with the clutch depressed.
Hey bro I just noticed something... You said "when the clutch is depressed the noise can be heard" , BUT with my lex the noise can be heard the other way round - when the clutch is up, not down. When I press the clutch that's when the noise disappears not appears. I totally agree with you when you say that the release bearing can be heard when the clutch is down, but mine is when the clutch is up. In which case I guess it's the input shaft bearing??? What do you think?
Old 09-04-13, 02:01 PM
liqB
Driver

I always thought the noise was the result of the dualmass flywheel.
Old 09-04-13, 03:46 PM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by liqB
I always thought the noise was the result of the dualmass flywheel.
Lol... Heck knows what it is... It can't be the throw out bearing as the sound is there when the clutch is up now down so it's not spinning then, I guess it's the input shaft bearing. Ill try to upload a video tomorrow to show you.
Old 09-04-13, 04:13 PM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Here's a link to the video guys...

You might need to watch it and listen with headphones in to max volume to hear it properly as like I said its very quiet
Old 09-04-13, 06:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

There are 2 distinct noises that the RA62 clutch setup in the IS250 makes that are normal.

The first is the noise that the clutch/throwout bearing makes when you are in neutral with your foot off of the clutch pedal. This is like a whirring/bearing noise that goes away when you press the clutch pedal. Normal, provided it's not ridiculously loud. Side effect of a pull-type clutch setup, though it is louder than some other cars with a similar setup.

The second noise is what is referred to as the jar of marbles noise, this is the noise (most noticeably in 1st gear on launch) heard when you are in gear and engaging the clutch, it is also a bearing-type noise, but with more "marbles", and is heard as you are taking off and/or switching gears (though not often switching gears unless you are really dragging the clutch). This noise is also normal.

Jeff
Old 09-05-13, 12:13 AM
illzlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
There are 2 distinct noises that the RA62 clutch setup in the IS250 makes that are normal.

The first is the noise that the clutch/throwout bearing makes when you are in neutral with your foot off of the clutch pedal. This is like a whirring/bearing noise that goes away when you press the clutch pedal. Normal, provided it's not ridiculously loud. Side effect of a pull-type clutch setup, though it is louder than some other cars with a similar setup.

The second noise is what is referred to as the jar of marbles noise, this is the noise (most noticeably in 1st gear on launch) heard when you are in gear and engaging the clutch, it is also a bearing-type noise, but with more "marbles", and is heard as you are taking off and/or switching gears (though not often switching gears unless you are really dragging the clutch). This noise is also normal.

Jeff
Perfect ! That sounds very reassuring I'm just going to go and enjoy the ride now ))))) thank you