IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Making the 2-IS shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 05:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by genaos11
I saw your website you do good work ..I also do detailing professionally your right isn't end the world when pad touches the floor
Thank you sir!

... just to be clear, if the face of the pad were to touch anything, I would replace it immediately, but if the side touches the ground - typically not an issue, but I inspect the pad for any debris just to be safe.
Old 09-18-13, 05:49 AM
SteeveJobs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SFP (white) IS had really bad paint a few months ago. I took it to a very well known detailer to do a full one step polish and paint correction. The iron-x shown above works miracles. I'd definitely use that prior to your polish and wax. As for the polish and wax used on mine, it was SwissVax, very expensive but in my case was worth every penny. The shine it gives looks maxing and It's been about 8 months since my car was detailed and the wax still looks as if it was applied yesterday.
Old 09-18-13, 06:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by genaos11
I saw your website you do good work ..I also do detailing professionally your right isn't end the world when pad touches the floor
Originally Posted by SteeveJobs
My SFP (white) IS had really bad paint a few months ago. I took it to a very well known detailer to do a full one step polish and paint correction. The iron-x shown above works miracles. I'd definitely use that prior to your polish and wax. As for the polish and wax used on mine, it was SwissVax, very expensive but in my case was worth every penny. The shine it gives looks maxing and It's been about 8 months since my car was detailed and the wax still looks as if it was applied yesterday.
Glad to hear you got your baby taken care of by a qualified professional... I love your ride!

For what it's worth.... the shine and appearance comes mostly from the polishing and prep work, and not from the wax or sealant that is applied afterwards. Wax or sealant is first and foremost a form of protection, and secondly adds a bit of beauty to further enhance the nicely polished paint. If it has truly been 8 months since your vehicle was last waxed - you need to wax it again.

A natural carnauaba wax typically lasts between 4-12 weeks, while a synthetic sealant may last 4-8 months.

Check out this article I wrote in the detailing forum for some more info on sealants, waxes, semi-permanent coatings, and how to tell if your vehicle is properly protected.
Is your paint protected?? Here's an article I wrote to help you decide!

-Zach