Default Maintenance question for our cars

Hi all, I am hitting the schedule maintenance that will include the following:

Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Front Differential Fluid
Replace Iridium Spark Plugs
Replace Rear Differential Fluid
Replace Super Long Life Coolant

Of course there are more but these are the key ones that I do not know how to DIY on an IS250 (can it easily be done DIY or should this just be given to the dealership)?

I am buying parts from Sewell today and wanted to know how much of each fluid I will need (if any at all). I am buying 6 spark plugs since we have a 6-cylinder engine.

What about the other fluids/coolant, I read that some of them are not needed (I think transmission fluid was the one), and what is the 'super long life coolant' for?

What about gaskets? I would like to DIY and want to know how much of each to buy.

TIA!

Last edited by ANCL; 09-30-13 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

transmission is sealed, you cant replace fluid yourself. Dealers have a special machine to pump fluid out.

brake fluid - manual indicates every 30k miles, not super important, bought regular DOT3 from autozone. Use standard brake bleeding procedure.

differential fluid - manual doesnt state you have to do this but I did mine at 52k doing other things since its so ridiculously easy to change, bought 2qt of valvoline synthetic from autozone only need 1.5qt when I did my rear. Yours is AWD to have front and rear diff? Diff would need fill and drain port crush washers for each diff

spark plugs - manual says 60k miles, bought from sewell

long life coolant - manual says this lasts for 100k miles. Would recommend using the toyota pink coolant or Zerex Asian Coolant (similar formulation and cheaper). Zerex Asian Coolant is only at NAPA and Oreily I believe.
Old 09-30-13, 08:33 AM
ANCL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
transmission is sealed, you cant replace fluid yourself. Dealers have a special machine to pump fluid out.

brake fluid - manual indicates every 30k miles, not super important, bought regular DOT3 from autozone. Use standard brake bleeding procedure.

differential fluid - manual doesnt state you have to do this but I did mine at 52k doing other things since its so ridiculously easy to change, bought 2qt of valvoline synthetic from autozone only need 1.5qt when I did my rear. Yours is AWD to have front and rear diff? Diff would need fill and drain port crush washers for each diff

spark plugs - manual says 60k miles, bought from sewell

long life coolant - manual says this lasts for 100k miles. Would recommend using the toyota pink coolant or Zerex Asian Coolant (similar formulation and cheaper). Zerex Asian Coolant is only at NAPA and Oreily I believe.
Thanks for the response! I am getting everything from Sewell.

How many bottles of brake fluid should I buy per change (2?).

Yes, I have an AWD so I need ~2L for both front [0.74qt] and rear [1.1qt] (2 bottles of the differential fluid) from Sewell with some left over after the change.

Yes, spark plugs will be purchased, a total of 6 for our engines.

I am going to buy the coolant from Sewell, I assume one jug will be enough even though the coolant needs to be refilled approximately 10 qt (since we can dilute the formula, correct, or do I need to buy two jugs)?

Edit - for the gaskets, I do not see any 'front' differential ones, only rear - is this normal? Is one enough or should I be getting more? What about the oil drain plug?
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1903.html

Last edited by ANCL; 09-30-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 01:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

just buy the big 32oz bottle of fluid of DOT3 at a local place, its cheap

synthetic diff/gear oil might be better, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the OEM diff oil. $8/qt i think from autozone

toyota coolant is pre mixed so you have to buy the full amount. It's pricey but, Shouldnt have to change this until 100k.

front diff might have the same plugs as the rear. Not sure

for the diff change make sure you open the fill port first, then drain plug. Because if for whatever reason you cant open the fill port but you drained first....UH OH. Theres a good DIY spark plug guide also on this forum.
Old 09-30-13, 07:35 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it bad to mix old coolant with new coolant? My coolant is low and I don't have time currently to do a full drain and fill.
Old 09-30-13, 09:08 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Is it bad to mix old coolant with new coolant? My coolant is low and I don't have time currently to do a full drain and fill.
not as long as you use the red Toyota kind.

You don't need to replace coolant till 100K.
Old 09-30-13, 09:09 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Its not bad at all, its just like taking your car to a dealership and having it topped off. Just make sure to use the OEM pink coolant!
Old 09-30-13, 09:13 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
not as long as you use the red Toyota kind.

You don't need to replace coolant till 100K.
Originally Posted by panda08
Its not bad at all, its just like taking your car to a dealership and having it topped off. Just make sure to use the OEM pink coolant!
Okay good to know. What is the specific name of the coolant? Can I get it at a Toyota dealership or just Lexus?
Old 10-01-13, 06:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

yea its at the dealer but pretty pricey. I put some of this in my moms LX:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...antifreeze/105

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_asian_vehicle.pdf

its also pink like the OEM one. When you look at the formulation its very similar to the Toyota one being silicate, borate, amine, nitrate free
Old 10-01-13, 04:28 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use oem fluids for the brakes and coolant. Order them through sewell.