IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blown Amplifier Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 05:41 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

As mentioned by 2013FSport you may want to replace the duct assembly to prevent the moisture and water from getting in the trunk.
If you have small hands you may be able to replace them without the need for bumper removal.

Now, open the amp, get yourself a soft toothbrush, Electrical Contact Cleaner and gently start cleaning the contacts and circuit boards, paying attention to pins and connectors.
Here's how:

Have fun, and let us know if it fixed the problem.
Old 03-09-23, 06:27 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
As mentioned by 2013FSport you may want to replace the duct assembly to prevent the moisture and water from getting in the trunk.
If you have small hands you may be able to replace them without the need for bumper removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVL1Sm4CGo0

Now, open the amp, get yourself a soft toothbrush, Electrical Contact Cleaner and gently start cleaning the contacts and circuit boards, paying attention to pins and connectors.
Here's how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBLQ8r9eMhI

Have fun, and let us know if it fixed the problem.

Looks like they did already?
Old 03-09-23, 11:01 PM
Sharmaavi
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photos

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Hi and Welcome.
We can try! One problem is there are no known schematics.

If you do get it working or replace it, check the flap in the bottom of the panel that lets fresh air in right by the AMP. They fail over time letting water in.

Take some high resolution pictures and post them here. Maybe one of us sees something...

Also, has the battery ever had the terminals reversed or jump started it with polarity reversed?
Ere
I am third owner and when i purchased battery never had problems so never did anything with it. Secondly the problem started happening after recent rains here. And when i opened the amplifier i could see my water might have slipped in. I have thoroughly cleaned the amp now. Attached are the pics. Hoping that you guys could notice something which might resolve the glitch else there won't be any option left but to shell out lots of rials.

Last edited by Sharmaavi; 03-09-23 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Adding missing photos
Old 03-10-23, 04:50 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

So, you found sediment and signs of moisture intrusion, what did you clean it with?

Few will have access to this but what you need is an Ultrasonic Bath and some Alconox (look them up).

That said, an Alconox soak solution even without ultrasonic vibration can remove conductive particals. Try 25 minutes, pull them and rinse in for another 10 in distilled water. I know it sounds crazy to soak your pcba in water and Alconox PCBA cleaner (10% solution) but if the fault was induced by moisture and the distribution of conductive particales this could fix it. When done, put them in the oven for 90 min at 125°F to bake the moisture out. Obviously use all static control measures...

Www.alconox.com electronics
What test equipment do you have? You have a DMM?
Old 03-10-23, 06:37 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

It looks to me there is a burn mark or some kind of damage on this PCB board. Have a closer look with a magnifying glass, it seems the burn is on both sides...

Before you spend money on refurbished amp, I suggest you find a computer repair or electronic repair shop in town and see if they're able to test and or fix the PCB boards.

Good luck

https://www.pcbastore.com/blogs/how-...rd-is-bad.html

Last edited by primavera; 03-10-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 09:56 PM
Sharmaavi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
So, you found sediment and signs of moisture intrusion, what did you clean it with?

Few will have access to this but what you need is an Ultrasonic Bath and some Alconox (look them up).

That said, an Alconox soak solution even without ultrasonic vibration can remove conductive particals. Try 25 minutes, pull them and rinse in for another 10 in distilled water. I know it sounds crazy to soak your pcba in water and Alconox PCBA cleaner (10% solution) but if the fault was induced by moisture and the distribution of conductive particales this could fix it. When done, put them in the oven for 90 min at 125°F to bake the moisture out. Obviously use all static control measures...

Www.alconox.com electronics
What test equipment do you have? You have a DMM?
You guys are real pros out there. I found something deposited on the other side of the board, annotated in the ss, and i cleaned it using a soft brush and iso propyl alcohol. Though the board is fully clean now but when i plugged it in after fully soaking in the sun, it didn't work at all now. I have waited for a day now since yesterday and will try again today. Will let you if it works else will take it to local electronics shop to get it checked.
Answering your question about tools, i don't have any. Thts why i mentioned that if we diagnose the problem, will take it to the local shop to get it repaired if possible.

This is the area where i found some dirt due to water.

This is how it looks after i cleaned it thoroughly today as well.

Last edited by Sharmaavi; 03-10-23 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (03-11-23)
Old 03-11-23, 01:23 AM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this the non-Ml amp or ML?
Old 03-11-23, 01:35 AM
Sharmaavi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Yodog
Is this the non-Ml amp or ML?
​​​​​​Seems non-ml only. I guess this was not equipped with ML amp in the first place
​​​