IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 03:01 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was in last week for the recall. My car is an 09 with 15k but I had them change the plugs because it will take me 20 years to hit 60k. My decision to have plugs changes was last minute so I didn't have time to buy them from Sewell. Dealership charged me $110 for plugs. When I asked about changing for no charge they said they would do it for $50. I could have *****ed and moaned, but ultimately every dealer is a free standing business and was still cheaper than doing this later so I said yes. When I picked up the car the tank was 1/2 full the way I dropped it off. I asked if they would fill up the car since they did it for every other recall. The runner checked with the boss and returned very apologetic they didn't fill it up and promptly took care of me. Bottom line, don't assume anything is free and nicely ask for things. For the most part, dealers want satisfied customers so people return. Your relationship with your service advisor is so important. Car runs fine. The SA said prior to the recall they have done this repair many times so there wasn't a learning curve.
Old 11-06-13, 03:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My GF's '11 IS350 (was mine). I just check was 100+ cars past the last recall number. Her car was made in July 2011, probably the last ones made before '12 model so they probably already implemented '12 parts on her '11 since its so close. She Lucked out..
Old 11-06-13, 04:16 PM
LyleBeach
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have a 10' IS350 that is on the recall list...

But I only have 4700 miles.

My warranty is going to expire Jan 2014.

Should I do the recall now? I DO NOT have any rattling right now.

I kinda feel like, "if it aint broke..." My worry, is that this seems to be a decently involved recall, and I'd hate for something during the recall work to cause something else to prematurely fail. I know that the tech's are very skilled, but you know, **** happens sometimes. You can't beat the quality of the factory build! (except for these faulty bolts! lol)

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Last edited by LyleBeach; 11-07-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 04:53 PM
1stGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Update on my car, I got my car back about a month ago. Yesterday I went to install new bulbs and as I look down in my engine bay I see a bolt just laying there. I look around and see that there's a missing bolt on the upper radiator hose coolant pipe. I installed the bolt and it fit perfect.

Car was shaking a lot during idle also so I cleaned out my MAF, pulled the EFI fuses and now my shaking is gone.

I'm upset reading all these posts about people getting their plugs installed for free but I'm not going to complain about the money, I am just upset that they mechanic would forget to put a bolt on. Luckily he dropped it in my engine bay and it stayed there. I would expect these things at a jiffy lube or something but not at a Lexus dealership.

I think next time I'm going to take the drive to longo Lexus instead of Lexus of riverside.
Old 11-07-13, 12:35 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by LyleBeach

I kinda feel like, "if it aint broke..." My worry, is that this seems to be a decently envolved recall, and I'd hate for something during the recall work to cause something else to prematurely fail. I know that the tech's are very skilled, but you know, **** happens sometimes. You can't beat the quality of the factory build! (except for these faulty bolts! lol)

Do it anyways if it falls into the recall VIN listings.
Old 11-07-13, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I kinda feel like, "if it aint broke..." My worry, is that this seems to be a decently envolved recall, and I'd hate for something during the recall work to cause something else to prematurely fail. I know that the tech's are very skilled, but you know, **** happens sometimes. You can't beat the quality of the factory build! (except for these faulty bolts! lol)

I would still do it but wait until the wait times die down.
Old 11-07-13, 03:42 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i have a F-Sport intake, so does this recall still include me?
Old 11-07-13, 03:45 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
Longo Lexus offered to do my spark plugs free of labor.. while they do the recall. Either I bring in the parts or they will just charge me $90 for parts.
wow good to know, i'm due for 60k service soon. i'll hold off on this recall until i get closer to 60k.
Old 11-07-13, 06:11 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I kinda feel like, "if it aint broke..." My worry, is that this seems to be a decently involved recall, and I'd hate for something during the recall work to cause something else to prematurely fail. I know that the tech's are very skilled, but you know, **** happens sometimes. You can't beat the quality of the factory build! (except for these faulty bolts! lol)

Recalls are not dependent on if you have warranty or not. Lexus will always do it free of charge. I never heard my car rattle until a few days before I take my car for the recall work. Sounds pretty bad; only happened once though.
Old 11-07-13, 06:31 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

i have a 2008 IS250 with 58,000 miles and going to take it in tomorrow regarding the rattle/ clatter noise which last a couple of seconds, comes from under hood upon start up, its erratic does it at different times not specific to engine being hot or cold, noise is unpredictable. i have a certified warranty so it should be covered no charge right?
Old 11-07-13, 07:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

My dealership does it only once a day with one tech doing it. So I'm on the waiting list till mid Dec lol. Oooo well mine doesn't make any noise and I'm at 83k. The 1st owner had the whole top end redone after only 10k on it. So I've yet to have any issues.
Old 11-07-13, 09:38 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i have a F-Sport intake, so does this recall still include me?
Why would that change anything?

If your cam gears fall in the VIN range, an F-Sport intake won't magically change anything
Old 11-08-13, 09:34 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

When you guys talk about the rattle do you mean a strange noise when you first start up the engine? I used to have this issue but it happened on and off like many of you mentioned. Is this a mandatory recall as in something you need to do ASAP or it can wait?
Old 11-11-13, 11:37 PM
BAY2LA350
Driver School Candidate

I read through the whole thread, and I didn't see any info if the oil would be drained. From the looks of the repair, it will not be drained? I just put mobil 1 less than 1K miles ago, I don't want them draining it and putting in conventional.
Old 11-12-13, 06:35 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAY2LA350
I read through the whole thread, and I didn't see any info if the oil would be drained. From the looks of the repair, it will not be drained? I just put mobil 1 less than 1K miles ago, I don't want them draining it and putting in conventional.
recall does not involve an oil change. There was a guy with an oil leak after the recall was done prob b/c a valve seal was not seated properly.

I'll be looking for puddles now for sure after I get mine done. First the valve spring, now this. Crossing my fingers that the engine will be the same after they do it.

I love my car!

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!