IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 02:51 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one is a guinea pig, i'm sure almost all dealers have this for any IS owner that has had the cam gear noise before. I know my dealer is well versed in fixing this already.
Old 10-12-13, 06:02 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, here is some verbage from the dealer letter...I am not able to post the pdf of this due to forum rules:

As previously communicated, on September 4, 2013, a Defect Information Report (DIR) was filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2006 to 2011 model year IS 350, certain 2010 to 2011 model year IS 350C and certain 2007 to 2011 model year GS 350 vehicles.

Lexus has completed remedy preparations and will now begin mailing the remedy owner letter.

Condition:
The engines in the subject vehicles are equipped with a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) system which controls the camshafts to provide optimal valve timing under certain driving conditions. The bolts used to secure the housing and sprocket of the intake-side VVT gear assembly could become loose due to abnormal impacts generated within the gear assembly immediately after a cold start-up. If this occurs, the VVT gear will not control the intake valves correctly.
Old 10-12-13, 08:40 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if they will have to remove the main fuse box while doing this recall? Reason I'm asking is because I just installed my 2012 headlights and stuck all of the wiring in the fuse box.
Old 10-12-13, 08:46 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Does anyone know if they will have to remove the main fuse box while doing this recall? Reason I'm asking is because I just installed my 2012 headlights and stuck all of the wiring in the fuse box.
No the fuse box isn't removed, the main power wire is removed only from the junction, by removing the 10mm nut then the harness is removed from the top of the engine and folded over to gain access, your new stuff won't be touched.
Old 10-12-13, 08:50 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by quick123
Guys, here is some verbage from the dealer letter...I am not able to post the pdf of this due to forum rules:

As previously communicated, on September 4, 2013, a Defect Information Report (DIR) was filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2006 to 2011 model year IS 350, certain 2010 to 2011 model year IS 350C and certain 2007 to 2011 model year GS 350 vehicles.

Lexus has completed remedy preparations and will now begin mailing the remedy owner letter.

Condition:
The engines in the subject vehicles are equipped with a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) system which controls the camshafts to provide optimal valve timing under certain driving conditions. The bolts used to secure the housing and sprocket of the intake-side VVT gear assembly could become loose due to abnormal impacts generated within the gear assembly immediately after a cold start-up. If this occurs, the VVT gear will not control the intake valves correctly.
Yeah this is related to the rattle. I've seen a few at my dealer where there rattle was never repaired and the housing bolts backed out. Kudos to Lexus for stepping up and taking care of this....sometimes I wish these engines had zippers though. :-)
Old 10-12-13, 09:01 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir
Old 10-12-13, 09:04 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
Yeah this is related to the rattle. I've seen a few at my dealer where there rattle was never repaired and the housing bolts backed out. Kudos to Lexus for stepping up and taking care of this....sometimes I wish these engines had zippers though. :-)
It's not just related to the rattle, this is all about the rattle...some people, even 250 owners, have had the TSB performed and then have had the noise return. This is to remedy that situation, and there are some additional actions taken to make sure this condition never returns after this replacement.
Old 10-12-13, 09:10 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by quick123
It's not just related to the rattle, this is all about the rattle...some people, even 250 owners, have had the TSB performed and then have had the noise return. This is to remedy that situation, and there are some additional actions taken to make sure this condition never returns after this replacement.
no your absolutely right, but the engineers are still mum as to the exact correction they did on the new gears. Just like they were in the reason for the rattle the internal set pin was a far as I got for an explanation. But I think they upgraded the housing bolts as wellon this new gear and possibly the set pin. I tried everything to get one of these open and see.
Old 10-12-13, 09:15 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone with a 250 should call corporate and find out why they are playing favorites with the 350. I had this TSIB done on my 250 when it had just 27K.... I heard it once again when I had 89K and now I have 93K and I still am concerned about my little engine... If its a known problem amongst the 250s and the 350s then why is there only a recall for the 350. Everyone call corporate and complain
Old 10-12-13, 09:28 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I am the last person that would ever recommend calling corporate to complain, but I might have to agree this time...there is no reason why I can find that they would only be doing this on the 350s and not the 250s.
Old 10-12-13, 09:47 AM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
I have a 2006 with 38k miles and Ive only heard the cam rattle at start up once. Would you still recommend the recall fix on my car. Are there any potential negative issues with having the recall done?
Old 10-12-13, 10:15 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by mike33
I have a 2006 with 38k miles and Ive only heard the cam rattle at start up once. Would you still recommend the recall fix on my car. Are there any potential negative issues with having the recall done?
If your vehicle is applicable, I would definitely have it done. the only negative I see in this situation would to not get them replaced. I'm a lexus master tech and have a 08 with 23k, I will be doing it.
Old 10-12-13, 10:31 AM
GSKaplan
Rookie

also note, as a benefit to those with higher mileage these are also being replaced along with the gears.

Old 10-12-13, 11:19 AM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

^ ^ ^
Thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it GSKaplan.
Old 10-12-13, 11:24 AM
circuitt
Pole Position

Someone posted that there car felt slower after getting new cam gears installed. is this something to be concerned about, is it going retard the timing or something?

Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!